OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 11:35:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Recognition of Catholic Baptisms  (Read 7497 times) Average Rating: 0
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2009, 08:07:22 PM »

By GOC I do mean Greek Orthodox Church .I should have been clear about that . Tongue

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2009, 08:09:26 PM »

or GOA- Greek Orthodox Archdiocese .Sorry about the confusion

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2009, 10:29:34 PM »

From what I understand, the bishop of my Serbian diocese baptizes all converts, regardless of their background.  This has been very humbling for me, and has been a great lesson in obeying my bishop, as well as in not thinking that I have the final say on all these matters.  The situation in America is unfortunate, though, because I could just hop on over to any other number of Orthodox churches in my city for an option that better suited my opinion on the matter.  There needs to be jurisdictional unity for consistent Orthodox teaching on these matters.

Is your bishop Bishop Longin?  He was my bishop at one time (the Serbian Australian & New Zealand diocese.)  A truly wonderful bishop and it was on his instructions that I baptized two Catholic priests and one Catholic nun.  However he allowed an Anglican clergyman to be received by Chrismation although 5 years later when the man's wife also converted she was received by Baptism.   

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2009, 11:03:47 PM »

My baptism in '51 is as good as any...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2009, 12:31:33 AM »

Is your bishop Bishop Longin?  He was my bishop at one time (the Serbian Australian & New Zealand diocese.)  A truly wonderful bishop and it was on his instructions that I baptized two Catholic priests and one Catholic nun.  However he allowed an Anglican clergyman to be received by Chrismation although 5 years later when the man's wife also converted she was received by Baptism.

Indeed he is.  So a bet that he would not be willing to make an exception for me, a humble layman!  Although I do worry that the baptism issue is going to be a serious obstacle to my wife ever converting, as she was baptized as a youth by her own father, and she treasures the memory.  I think that she will feel like she is betraying that past, rather than fulfilling it.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2009, 02:14:47 AM »

At OC.net, GOC has been taken to mean "Greek Old Calendarist" church (such as one of which our site admin, Fr. Anastasios, is a priest). 

GOC can also stand for "Greek Orthodox Church".
I am aware of that, which is why I was confused.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2009, 07:26:10 AM »

I am RC and now attend a GOC . Since my mind is set on becoming Orthodox, I asked if I would have to be re-baptized.The answer I got was rather lengthy but,in the end I was told,"The choice will be made by you ". So I went home pondering the issue. I thought my baptism would suffice and chrismation would seal the deal ?,sort of speak.  I do take my salvation very seriously so,I have been praying earnestly about this . Roll Eyes

Grace and Peace,

That is shockingly generous coming from the Greeks. You must have left them with a very pious impression. Good for you.
At OC.net, GOC has been taken to mean "Greek Old Calendarist" church (such as one of which our site admin, Fr. Anastasios, is a priest).  Is this what you, ChristusDominus, mean by "GOC" (as opposed to the GOA, which is the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of North and South America)?

Personally, I'm somewhat surprised that your priest has left this decision up to you.  I would think this decision belongs to your priest's bishop, who would make the decision for you.

At OC.net, GOC has been taken to mean "Greek Old Calendarist" church (such as one of which our site admin, Fr. Anastasios, is a priest). 

GOC can also stand for "Greek Orthodox Church". 

GOC = Greek Old Calendarists.
GOC = Genuine Orthodox Church.
GOC = Greek Orthodox Church (i.e. Church of Greece, or CoG).

Let's narrow down the definition through our new dictionary function, shall we?

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2009, 01:35:43 AM »

Can laypeople baptize in Orthodoxy?
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2009, 01:45:04 AM »

Can laypeople baptize in Orthodoxy?

In extreme cases such as inaccessibility to clergy and mortal danger.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2009, 02:07:45 AM »

Those Orthodox churches (Greece, OCA, etc.) which simply chrismate Catholic converts do not see the earlier sacrament itself as bearing grace or "validity", correct?  They just see the "form" or "style" of the baptism as valid, but that the chrism fills the "empty form" with grace without performing another baptism?

Sorry to pester, I am just having some inner turmoil about being "re-baptized" for the 3rd time, it just seems to violate the Creed, and I am sick of baptisms (infant and teenager Trinitarian baptisms have been performed on me).  It just feels so wrong to do the form again, but I don't want to leave my bishop out of insubordination either...  I just feel a bit lost on this issue.  What's the right thing to do?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 02:08:36 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Tags: baptism ecclesiology 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: