OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 10:54:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vampirism and Orthodoxy  (Read 4401 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2012, 02:05:28 PM »

Again, I ask (as I've asked you a number of times before with regard to other words you've used) *what* is a "stilist".  It's obvious that English is not your first language, and I certainly have no problem with that at all.  But if you want people to understand what you write and mean, it only makes sense to provide clarification for words that you use that are unclear and that you are asked about.  Is that so difficult?

A fan of this type of activity.

In what language?

Makes me wonder how many foreign languages can you speak fluently.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2012, 02:21:44 PM »

Again, I ask (as I've asked you a number of times before with regard to other words you've used) *what* is a "stilist".  It's obvious that English is not your first language, and I certainly have no problem with that at all.  But if you want people to understand what you write and mean, it only makes sense to provide clarification for words that you use that are unclear and that you are asked about.  Is that so difficult?

A fan of this type of activity.

In what language?

Makes me wonder how many foreign languages can you speak fluently.

Fluently?  One-Hebrew.  Two, if you count Texan.  angel  Three, if you count British English.  angel angel  (Besides, how is my proficiency or lack thereof in multiple foreign languages relevant to the quite simple question I asked?)

But your response doesn't answer my question.  I did, by the way, google the word and got responses that made absolutely no sense at all in the context which Azul used it.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 02:24:49 PM by J Michael » Logged

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2012, 02:28:59 PM »

Fluently?  One-Hebrew.  Two, if you count Texan.  angel  Three, if you count British English.  angel angel  (Besides, how is my proficiency or lack thereof in multiple foreign languages relevant to the quite simple question I asked?)

Because you make fun of people who do not write English as well as you do

But your response doesn't answer my question.  I did, by the way, google the word and got responses that made absolutely no sense at all in the context which Azul used it.

It looks like I've overdone comparative linguistics without the context.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2012, 02:33:25 PM »

I think what Michal is getting at is that stilist = stylite

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2012, 02:37:11 PM »

Did he climb down from his pillar to chat about history and folklore?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2012, 02:44:01 PM »

Fluently?  One-Hebrew.  Two, if you count Texan.  angel  Three, if you count British English.  angel angel  (Besides, how is my proficiency or lack thereof in multiple foreign languages relevant to the quite simple question I asked?)

Because you make fun of people who do not write English as well as you do

Yeah, I've probably been guilty of that a number of times.  Mea culpa.  And, having traveled in many countries where English is not widely spoken or understood, my sometimes feeble attempts at speaking the native tongue have been sources of uproarious hilarity to others---and myself.  We have have a saying here in the U.S. about being able to take a joke and to laugh at yourself.  It involves profanity so I won't repeat it here.  If you're interested, I'd be happy to send it to you via personal message.

Now, do you want to make this about me and my failings, or do you want to answer the question that I asked, quite sincerely and honestly, about the language and meaning of the word "stilist"?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2012, 02:47:36 PM »

That crossed my mind, but I wasn't aware people still sat on pillars for endless hours/days/weeks/months, etc., so I dismissed the idea.  Perhaps I did so prematurely.  But...I did ask...

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2012, 02:50:27 PM »

That crossed my mind, but I wasn't aware people still sat on pillars for endless hours/days/weeks/months, etc., so I dismissed the idea.  Perhaps I did so prematurely.  But...I did ask...

Yes, I had not read Azul's original post and thought he meant that.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2012, 03:29:50 AM »

I had a stilist aquiantance telling me that the reason Vlad the Impaler is made into a vampire and called Dracula is because of the west, because he was a devout Orthodox and a just ruler.

This would suggest something slightly different and more, shall we say, mundane.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vlad_the_Impaler

Seems that his main enemies were Ottoman Turks (muslims), not Western Europeans, and that his reputation was one of great cruelty rather than as a "just ruler".

Can't vouch for the accuracy of the rather long article.

And, what is "a stilist"Huh

You don`t know anything of Vlad the Impaler ignorant.He is one of the most just rulers of Transylvania if not Romania.. He was cruel but he was just.He was cruel in his punishments.. On his time there was a golden vessel in the middle of the market and no one stoled it.

Vlad Tepes never ruled Transylvania. He was Voievod of Wallachia (Tara Romaneasca). Yes he's renowned for being just (though the story you tell is one of many variants and likely a legend meant to show how the people feared and respected him) but he was also extremely cruel - hence the 'Impaler' moniker. He certainly wasn't, unlike his cousin Stefan, devoutly Orthodox however, as he converted to Roman Catholicism in order to attempt to get political and military support from Roman Catholic states against the Turks. When that fell through he returned to Orthodoxy and during his second reign (he ruled twice) his only real ally was Stefan cel Mare's Moldova.

As to the argument that his main enemies and the source of propaganda stories were the Turks made above, this is definitely untrue. The majority of the stories come from the Saxons in Transylvania (he was not particularly well disposed towards their merchants) which is why they were so prevalent in Hungary at the time Stoker was writing Dracula.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2012, 09:59:48 AM »

Stilist is a typo for stylist.  The person who does someone's hair.  Barber.

J Michael, you seriously couldn't get stylist out of stilist?  You seemed to understand that aquiantance, stood for acquaintance without any problem.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 10:01:31 AM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2012, 10:27:39 AM »

J Michael, you seriously couldn't get stylist out of stilist?  You seemed to understand that aquiantance, stood for acquaintance without any problem.

Are you sure?  What does the fact that this acquaintance is a barber have to do with anything and what gravity do the opinions of a hairdresser have about the history of Vlad Tepes?

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2012, 10:34:23 AM »

And I finished watching Strigoi last night.  Some possible spoilers ahead:

The ending was weird and leaves all sorts of loose ends untied.  The vampires were taken care of but the real monsters, the greedy humans, were still around.  The vampires were not treated as being inherently evil beings, but actually victims of violent deaths and burial in unconsecrated ground.  They weren't entirely sympathetic, but just intelligent walking dead.  They certainly weren't the teeth-baring maniacs of Hollywood, but more in tune with what I know of the original Romanian folklore.  The folklore itself was treated pretty respectfully in context with the story which was, as I said, really about simple human greed and deception.  The priest of the village is, as one would expect in such a film, an outright villain.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2012, 12:21:37 PM »

Are you sure?  What does the fact that this acquaintance is a barber have to do with anything and what gravity do the opinions of a hairdresser have about the history of Vlad Tepes?

Precisely.

I guess that unless and until Azul graces us once more with his presence on this thread and deigns to enlighten us about the word "stilist" and what he meant, we'll just have to fumble along in the dark, making speculation after speculation about it.  Or we could, as I've chosen to do, just stop caring about it.   Wink

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2012, 12:38:26 PM »

J Michael, you seriously couldn't get stylist out of stilist?  You seemed to understand that aquiantance, stood for acquaintance without any problem.

Are you sure?  What does the fact that this acquaintance is a barber have to do with anything and what gravity do the opinions of a hairdresser have about the history of Vlad Tepes?

Precisely.

I guess that unless and until Azul graces us once more with his presence on this thread and deigns to enlighten us about the word "stilist" and what he meant, we'll just have to fumble along in the dark, making speculation after speculation about it.  Or we could, as I've chosen to do, just stop caring about it.   Wink

Probably the best course for most threads on OC.net these days. Wink
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 12:38:37 PM by Schultz » Logged

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2012, 12:46:49 PM »

J Michael, you seriously couldn't get stylist out of stilist?  You seemed to understand that aquiantance, stood for acquaintance without any problem.

Are you sure?  What does the fact that this acquaintance is a barber have to do with anything and what gravity do the opinions of a hairdresser have about the history of Vlad Tepes?

Precisely.

I guess that unless and until Azul graces us once more with his presence on this thread and deigns to enlighten us about the word "stilist" and what he meant, we'll just have to fumble along in the dark, making speculation after speculation about it.  Or we could, as I've chosen to do, just stop caring about it.   Wink

Probably the best course for most threads on OC.net these days. Wink

Yup.

Azul
Moderated
High Elder

Faith: Român Ortodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2012, 03:21:21 PM »

stilist = Old Calendaristic.. from Ortodox de stil de vechi... and stilist also means hair stilist...

Every formula of every religion has in this age of reason, to submit to the acid test of reason and universal assent.
Mahatma Gandhi
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2012, 03:23:10 PM »

stilist = Old Calendaristic.. from Ortodox de stil de vechi... and stilist also means hair stilist...

Interesting.  So that makes Fr. A a master barber? Wink

tee hee, just kidding. 

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2012, 03:25:34 PM »

tee hee, just kidding. 

ROTFL!

(Can you tell I'm bored?  Grin)

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2012, 03:26:40 PM »

I thought we'd never find out!

Thank you!

Azul
Moderated
High Elder

« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2012, 03:28:10 PM »

tee hee, just kidding. 

only if you don`t know the way the word is used. Smiley

stop divinizing priests and bishops, they are here to divinize us, they are our servant , servant to the laity that is their scope... if they don`t act like it rebuke them.

Every formula of every religion has in this age of reason, to submit to the acid test of reason and universal assent.
Mahatma Gandhi
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2012, 04:35:52 PM »

They are believed to steal the cows' milk, these "strigoi". That's what they do. Never heard of them sucking blood.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2012, 04:44:28 PM »

They are believed to steal the cows' milk, these "strigoi". That's what they do. Never heard of them sucking blood.

Tell that to Geralt.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 04:44:56 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2012, 04:57:19 PM »

Technically aren't we vampires whenever we receive the Holy Eucharist?  Huh

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
jmbejdl
OC.net guru

« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2012, 03:47:44 AM »

Strigoi are also supposed to drain the life from others which is why I said they are sort of like vampires, but no they don't drink blood. It's more of a spiritual thing. And, in fact, there are other differences like the fact that the dead type of strigoi are actually more like spirits than the physical undead and that they aren't the only type. Some are live and are effectively evil sorcerers/witches. Nonetheless they are about as close to vampires as anything else I've come across in Romanian folklore - that is to say there can be a passing resemblance. Actual vampire legends, however, are more Slav than anything else.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
jmbejdl
OC.net guru

« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2012, 03:48:23 AM »

No. In exactly the same way as we aren't cannibals.

James

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2012, 09:27:45 AM »

Is that a serious question?

augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2012, 10:18:00 AM »

Strigoi are also supposed to drain the life from others which is why I said they are sort of like vampires, but no they don't drink blood. It's more of a spiritual thing. And, in fact, there are other differences like the fact that the dead type of strigoi are actually more like spirits than the physical undead and that they aren't the only type. Some are live and are effectively evil sorcerers/witches. Nonetheless they are about as close to vampires as anything else I've come across in Romanian folklore - that is to say there can be a passing resemblance. Actual vampire legends, however, are more Slav than anything else.

James
Older people (and some younger ones) tended to believe in "bosorci" as they called those creatures in my region. They could even point to specific people  that of course,, everybody knew were "bosorci". A "bosorca/bisorca" is, I'd say more like a werewolf: a man or a woman able to turn into an animal, usually a very large cat or dog. Another belief concerned the so-called "vilva", especially "vilva lupilor", a man that, due to the unusual/magic circumstances of his birth was able to control the wolves, talk to them, direct them. But these people were relatively ostracized. IIRC correctly a German (?) made a documentary in the late nineties about such a a man (vilva lupilor) still living on the upper course of Crisul Alb river, in the "Apuseni" mountains which is roughly my region too.
jmbejdl
OC.net guru

« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2012, 10:35:37 AM »

James
Older people (and some younger ones) tended to believe in "bosorci" as they called those creatures in my region. They could even point to specific people  that of course,, everybody knew were "bosorci". A "bosorca/bisorca" is, I'd say more like a werewolf: a man or a woman able to turn into an animal, usually a very large cat or dog. Another belief concerned the so-called "vilva", especially "vilva lupilor", a man that, due to the unusual/magic circumstances of his birth was able to control the wolves, talk to them, direct them. But these people were relatively ostracized. IIRC correctly a German (?) made a documentary in the late nineties about such a a man (vilva lupilor) still living on the upper course of Crisul Alb river, in the "Apuseni" mountains which is roughly my region too.

I don't know of 'bosorci' but I do know that the names (and some of the details) vary from place to place. My wife's ancestral village is in Bucovina, a few km south of Siret. That's the area I am by far the most familiar with (up to and including the area around the painted monasteries). Is 'vilva' equivalent to 'vâlvă'?  It sounds like it must be but my understanding of the 'vâlve' is nothing like you describe - they seem to be similar to the 'iele' rather than being people and they are always female (as the grammar would suggest they should be).

James

augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2012, 10:42:39 AM »

James

I don't know of 'bosorci' but I do know that the names (and some of the details) vary from place to place. My wife's ancestral village is in Bucovina, a few km south of Siret. That's the area I am by far the most familiar with (up to and including the area around the painted monasteries). Is 'vilva' equivalent to 'vâlvă'?  It sounds like it must be but my understanding of the 'vâlve' is nothing like you describe - they seem to be similar to the 'iele' rather than being people and they are always female (as the grammar would suggest they should be).

James
I don't know about Moldova/Bucovina, but I'm sure what I'm saying is accurate for Western Carpathians (Western Transylvania) at least.
http://www.formula-as.ro/2010/928/societate-37/valva-lupilor-12695
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2012, 03:23:10 PM »

James

I saw a show about 'moroi' ... those are similar to vampires.. they say they haunt you down and attack your sanity.. there were some villigers (i forgot the name of the village) that seen this types of 'moroi' that can be one of your passed relatives.. they say that they usually come to kill you and take the life out of you... the story goes that in order to escape them and their curse you need the go at their tombs and 12 am take their heart, "macinate" it and drink it.. I heard similar stuff about the vampires that you need to go at 12 AM at their tombs and put a spike into their hearts or something in order to escape their haunting.. i used to hear kiddy stories when i was a child about this, but you know kids Smiley... P.S I grew up in the city Smiley

Mahatma Gandhi
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2012, 03:53:55 PM »

James

I saw a show about 'moroi' ... those are similar to vampires.. they say they haunt you down and attack your sanity.. there were some villigers (i forgot the name of the village) that seen this types of 'moroi' that can be one of your passed relatives.. they say that they usually come to kill you and take the life out of you... the story goes that in order to escape them and their curse you need the go at their tombs and 12 am take their heart, "macinate" it and drink it.. I heard similar stuff about the vampires that you need to go at 12 AM at their tombs and put a spike into their hearts or something in order to escape their haunting.. i used to hear kiddy stories when i was a child about this, but you know kids Smiley... P.S I grew up in the city Smiley

I always thought that the creatures that hunt you down and attack your sanity were called...."in-laws"  laugh laugh laugh.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: