OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 04:44:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wedding planning  (Read 1228 times) Average Rating: 0
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« on: December 20, 2007, 08:36:41 PM »

Okay, so I am fearfully trying to stay out of Bridezilla's path my fiancee and I are busy planning the wedding.  Is there anything peculiar to an Orthodox wedding that we need to account for during the planning (such as the wedding crowns)?  We're just wondering if there's anything to do or plan for that wouldn't be on a standard list of a thousand tortures to-do list.  Wink

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 09:55:41 PM »

If anything, there are fewer things to do in an Orthodox wedding than others.

Music? Check.
Order of service? Check.
Location? Check.
Officiant? Check.

But there are a couple of concerns that we found. First of all, you need to find out if your parish has wedding crowns, a common cup, and candles for you to use or if you need to buy your own. Some parishes want you to use theirs, and others (like ours) have them available but are open to your using your own.

Also, you need to be aware of any dress code the parish may have (talking about the ladies here; I expect the men will be wearing a tux). Some parishes are very particular about neckline, strap width, etc. Your fiancée may also have to wear a shawl and/or head covering. Dress code varies widely by parish and may be different from an ordinary liturgy (you will be in the spotlight, after all). It's something to ask your priest.

Also also, be sure to bring the icons (typically Christ, Theotokos, and Wedding at Cana) and rings to be blessed. They should be present at a Liturgy before the wedding. Your priest may keep them or may ask you to keep them at home, especially if they are valuable.

That's about all I can think of now. Hope that helps.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 11:28:03 AM »

Don't forget to choose sponsors.  You'll want to choose a stable couple within your parish whom you can trust to consult if when you have any questions or problems arise in the marriage. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 05:51:42 PM »

Okay, so I am fearfully trying to stay out of Bridezilla's path my fiancee and I are busy planning the wedding.  Is there anything peculiar to an Orthodox wedding that we need to account for during the planning (such as the wedding crowns)?  We're just wondering if there's anything to do or plan for that wouldn't be on a standard list of a thousand tortures to-do list.  Wink

My biggest problem was most of the guests were not Orthodox, so I made a booklet up with the service and explanations (a lot of craddle Orthodox complimented us on it).

I assume you have checked that it's not during a fasting period (yes, I've seen it scheduled and had to be cancelled).

Btw does your bossbride to be read your email? police

Oh, and another thing.  If you get big enough candles, they can be used to light on your anniversaries during a prayer and at your chidlren's baptisms.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 05:53:00 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 05:55:07 PM »

My biggest problem was most of the guests were not Orthodox, so I made a booklet up with the service and explanations (a lot of craddle Orthodox complimented us on it).

Yes, we've got one from a wedding we attended during the summer that we're going to adapt.

I assume you have checked that it's not during a fasting period (yes, I've seen it scheduled and had to be cancelled).

Yes, we have (for a non-Orthodox bride, she's very conscious of the Church's requirements).

Btw does your bossbride to be read your email? police

Not normally, she doesn't.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Tags: marriage wedding 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: