OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 02:00:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Typika at the Royal Hours  (Read 2059 times) Average Rating: 0
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« on: December 20, 2007, 04:04:41 PM »

I'm putting together a little booklet for the celebration of the Royal Hours as a Reader's Service at home (since we don't have one at my parish Sad ) and I've come to a bit of an impasse regarding Typika at the end of the service.  Fr. John Whiteford's Reader's Service Horologion site has been a great help, but the variable portions of Typika posted there are for the old calendar and Christmas Eve falls on the Sunday of the Holy Fathers, so the both the readings and the stichera for the Beatitudes are a bit off for us new calendar folks, as we celebrated the Sunday of the Holy Fathers the day before.  I can get by with just doubling the four stichera for Christmas Eve for the Beatitudes (or use 4 from the Canon for St. Eugenia).  My handy liturgical calendar shows the readings for the Vigil Liturgy of St. Basil but has the note "PM" (meaning evening, I suppose) before the two readings. 

Are there readings for Typika of the Royal Hours on Christmas Eve?

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Carpatho Russian
Site Supporter
Elder

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever!

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 07:54:31 PM »

Schultz,

According to the Typikon, for the Office of the Typika on the eve of Nativity, no odes of the Kanon are inserted between the verses of the Beatitudes - the Beatitudes are read or sung straight through - there is no Prokimen, nor are there any readings from the Prophets, Epistles, or Gospels.  The only hymn for the feast would be the Kondak (sung or read) after the Lord's Prayer.

CR

I should have stated that this is for those who follow the Slavic Recension.  However, since I believe you are Greek Catholic, I did check my grandfather's Izbornik (Presov, late 1800's) and the rules for those who follow the Rusyn recension are the same as above.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 08:09:23 PM by Carpatho Russian » Logged

Zastupnice christianov nepostydnaja, chodatajice ko Tvorcu nepreložnaja, ne prezri hr’išnych molenij hlasy, popredvari jako blahaja na pomošč nas, virno vopijuščich ti: Uskori na molitvu, i potščisja na umolenije, zastupajušči prisno Bohorodice, čtuščich t’a.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 08:10:57 PM »

The Royal Hours are ery diferent to the usual daily office. Special Hymns are sung for the feast and there is an epistle and Gospel reading duirng each hour.

I havn't had time to review the service yet since it isn't until Monday but I believe that Typica is not called for this year because the Vesper Liturgy begins at the end of 9th

I am on the road going back home for Christmas so I will double check some stuff and write another responce later.

Joseph
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 02:30:06 PM »

Schultz,

According to the Typikon, for the Office of the Typika on the eve of Nativity, no odes of the Kanon are inserted between the verses of the Beatitudes - the Beatitudes are read or sung straight through - there is no Prokimen, nor are there any readings from the Prophets, Epistles, or Gospels.  The only hymn for the feast would be the Kondak (sung or read) after the Lord's Prayer.

I should have stated that this is for those who follow the Slavic Recension.  However, since I believe you are Greek Catholic, I did check my grandfather's Izbornik (Presov, late 1800's) and the rules for those who follow the Rusyn recension are the same as above.

Aha!  Fantastic!  Thank you very much!  I'm doing the final revisions now.  So there's no tropar sung after the Entrance Hymn?

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Carpatho Russian
Site Supporter
Elder

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever!

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 06:24:07 PM »

So there's no tropar sung after the Entrance Hymn?
Schultz,
There is no entrance hymn during the Typika, as there is no entrance.  I think what you are looking at on Fr J Whiteford's site is the order of the Typika for those Sundays when a priest is not available to serve the Liturgy - a so called reader's service, not the order for the Typika of the Royal Hours.
So, starting with the Beatitudes, the order will be:
Beatitudes..., Remember us, O Lord..., Remember us, O Master..., Remember us, O Holy One..., The Heavenly choir (2x with verse)..., Glory..., The choir of the holy Angels..., Now and ever... Creed..., Forgive, remit, and pardon..., Lord's Prayer..., Kondak (Today the Virgin...), and so on.
Hope this helps.
CR
Remember, if you screw the service up you will burn in hell for eternity!  Wink  The Orthodox God is not pleased if the services are not performed exactly as in the Typikon of the Russian Church in the 19th Century.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 06:26:28 PM by Carpatho Russian » Logged

Zastupnice christianov nepostydnaja, chodatajice ko Tvorcu nepreložnaja, ne prezri hr’išnych molenij hlasy, popredvari jako blahaja na pomošč nas, virno vopijuščich ti: Uskori na molitvu, i potščisja na umolenije, zastupajušči prisno Bohorodice, čtuščich t’a.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 08:04:23 PM »

I havn't had time to review the service yet since it isn't until Monday but I believe that Typica is not called for this year because the Vesper Liturgy begins at the end of 9th

I doubled checked several sources and the Typika is called for. The following link seems to be the most complete version of the Royal Hours I was able to find...
http://www.antiochianladiocese.org/liturgics/service_texts/service_texts_great_feasts/Lord_Nativity/1-Nativity%20Royal%20Hours%20PARAMON.pdf

I hope this helps you for tomorrow morning.

Joseph
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: