OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 03:41:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Revised Gregorian Calendar  (Read 1560 times) Average Rating: 0
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« on: May 01, 2003, 04:13:46 PM »

Does anyone know the new calendar feasts for May?

Life is just one disappointment after another.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2003, 05:49:55 PM »

Does anyone know the new calendar feasts for May?

This is why I prefer that, when linking things to the calendar, dates be New Calendar, with some parenthetical reference to the Old Calendar equivalent, rather than listing only Old Calendar dates.  The majority of Orthodox here, like it or not, use the New Calendar, and so it only seems fair that those dates be used, exceptions being made for major feasts (e.g., Annunciation).  This is not the first time I've asked that the calendar be managed this way, but because I've largely ignored the calendar over the past months, I let it slide, and now anyone can link things to the calendar.  But I'd like to ask that in the future, dates be inserted on the calendar on their NC dates, with due reference to their OC dates, except for major feasts.  I don't have any particular agenda on this question, other than to make things convenient.  I hope this simple request can be respected in the future.  Thanks!

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2003, 08:04:06 PM »

I think it would only be fair if every date is marked either (RGC) or (NC) for the Revised Gregorian Calendar or New Calendar, (JC) or (OC) for Julian or Old Calendar and then (GC) for Gregorian Calendar, as I noticed you have added some dates that are figured by the Papal Paschalarion, which most of us do not use although your church does.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2003, 08:18:57 PM »

Too many calendars leads to too much confusion. Huh Why can't we all decide to pick one and follow it? Why did the church have to change calendars in the first place? Huh Huh Huh

Life is just one disappointment after another.
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2003, 08:51:59 PM »

I think it would only be fair if every date is marked either (RGC) or (NC) for the Revised Gregorian Calendar or New Calendar, (JC) or (OC) for Julian or Old Calendar and then (GC) for Gregorian Calendar, as I noticed you have added some dates that are figured by the Papal Paschalarion, which most of us do not use although your church does.

Revised Gregorian?  Is that a joke?   Angry  Is that the same calendar that we "New Calendar" Eastern Orthodox refer to as *REVISED JULIAN*?  How about the Coptic Calendar?  The Ethiopian Calendar?

CHRIST IS RISEN!

Hypo-Ortho
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2003, 08:55:40 PM »

INDEED HE IS RISEN!

Oops! Meant Revised Julian. Sorry Hypo! Its been a REALLY rough day as you'll see if you come over to the site formerly known as the ROCOR Cafe.  :badhairday:

Nigula Qian Zishi
OC.net guru

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2003, 06:45:12 PM »

Revised Gregorian?  Is that a joke?   Angry  Is that the same calendar that we "New Calendar" Eastern Orthodox refer to as *REVISED JULIAN*?

Althought I messed up in calling the the so-called "Revised Julian" calendar the "Revised Gregorian", that name would seem to make more sense since it is all Gregorian except the proper Julian Paschalarion.

Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2003, 09:42:36 PM »

Revised Gregorian?  Is that a joke?   Angry  Is that the same calendar that we "New Calendar" Eastern Orthodox refer to as *REVISED JULIAN*?

Althought I messed up in calling the the so-called "Revised Julian" calendar the "Revised Gregorian", that name would seem to make more sense since it is all Gregorian except the proper Julian Paschalarion.

While it may make sense to you, Nik, why create further dissension and division between those Orthodox using the "pure" Julian and those using the "Revised" Julian by calling the "New" Calendar other than what the New Calendarists themselves call it, i.e., the "REVISED JULIAN" Calendar?  Do you see me calling the ROCOR "semi-canonical"?  As far as I am concerned, both calendars, the Julian and Revised Julian, are being used by Orthodox without losing the essence of Orthodoxy thereby.  But, yes, it would be nice if we were all on one calendar.

Hypo-Ortho
Nigula Qian Zishi
OC.net guru

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2003, 10:10:02 PM »

That is why I generally just prefer saying new and old. Makes things much easier. LD

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: