OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 21, 2014, 04:44:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Apostle Matthew in Ethiopia  (Read 6574 times) Average Rating: 0
Felipe Ortiz

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

For He was made man that we might be made God.

« on: December 18, 2007, 04:50:46 PM »

What do Ethiopian traditions and sources say regarding the place of the Holy Apostle Matthew's death and burial?

In some non-Ethiopian sources, it is said that St Matthew died as a martyr in Ethiopia. Do Ethiopian sources corroborate that? Is there some specific place in Ethiopia traditionally regarded as the site of his martyrdom?
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 08:28:53 AM »

Familiar with the tradition that St. Matthew visited Ethiopia and many other lands but can't recall hearing he was martyred there before sorry.

When I return to Queensland I may see if I can find anything in Ethiopian books about it for you though.

Pray for me please.

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 01:54:57 PM »

We have special celebrations to commemorate St. Mattew.

There are various places in Ethiopia that is estabished to honor St Matthew since his service was for ALL Ethiopia.

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
Felipe Ortiz

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

For He was made man that we might be made God.

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 08:30:57 PM »

There are various places in Ethiopia that is estabished to honor St Matthew since his service was for ALL Ethiopia.

Is any of these places regarded as the site of his martyrdom and/or burial?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 08:31:29 PM by Felipe Ortiz » Logged
Amdetsion
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 11:07:54 AM »

Is any of these places regarded as the site of his martyrdom and/or burial?

I do not know.

I will check this out and let you know what I find.

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 11:15:43 AM »

I thought that St Matthew was martyred in Hieropolis in Egypt???

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Amdetsion
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 11:24:54 AM »

I thought that St Matthew was martyred in Hieropolis in Egypt???

This is possible.

Why do you think that?

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 07:35:26 PM »

This is possible.

Why do you think that?

Sorry, I was confusing St Matthew with St Mark. Embarrassed

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
HaileAmanuel
HaileAmanuel [Amanuel is my Power]

Faith: Coptic/Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahido Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahido/Non-Chalcedonian

He that is greatest among you will be your servant

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 01:08:01 AM »

Hello everyone,

I apologize for seeing and replying to this post at such a late time.  As you stated, there are many outside resources that claim St. Matthew's martyrdom took place in present day Ethiopia.  There is no claim to this by the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahido Church, although Ethiopian traditional scholars typically teach that St. Matthew visited the region (greater Axumite-Adulis area). 

I may be incorrect, but there is no claim to the See of St. Matthew in Ethiopia, rather the See of Abune Tekle Haymanote, the Itchegue. 

Anyway, I read an article that related the works [or unearthing] of the Edward Ullendorff:

'According to Edward Ullendorff, the seventh book of a work that he calls The (Apocryphal) Acts of the Apostles contains an account of the baptism of  King Aeglippus of Ethiopia by St. Matthew, after having travelled to its capital, Naddayer. However, Matthew is said to have been killed by Aeglippus' brother, Hyrtacus, when he took the throne. Hyrtacus is said to have killed Matthew because the evangelist refused to sanction his marriage to Epiphigenia, Aeglippus' daughter.'

Other traditions say that Matthew was martyred in Hierapolis of Parthia. 

According to St. Ephiphanius, Bishop of Cyprus, Saint Matthew was martyred in Hierapolis (of Parthia) and it was actually Saint Matthias the Apostle who replaced Judas Iscariot that was martyred in a land south of Egypt.

I hope that this was helpful.

Peace to all,

HaileAmanuel

'He who is greatest among you, will be your servant [St. Matthew 23:11].'
Amdetsion
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 04:08:28 AM »

Hello everyone,

I apologize for seeing and replying to this post at such a late time.  As you stated, there are many outside resources that claim St. Matthew's martyrdom took place in present day Ethiopia.  There is no claim to this by the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahido Church, although Ethiopian traditional scholars typically teach that St. Matthew visited the region (greater Axumite-Adulis area). 

I may be incorrect, but there is no claim to the See of St. Matthew in Ethiopia, rather the See of Abune Tekle Haymanote, the Itchegue. 

Anyway, I read an article that related the works [or unearthing] of the Edward Ullendorff:

'According to Edward Ullendorff, the seventh book of a work that he calls The (Apocryphal) Acts of the Apostles contains an account of the baptism of  King Aeglippus of Ethiopia by St. Matthew, after having travelled to its capital, Naddayer. However, Matthew is said to have been killed by Aeglippus' brother, Hyrtacus, when he took the throne. Hyrtacus is said to have killed Matthew because the evangelist refused to sanction his marriage to Epiphigenia, Aeglippus' daughter.'

Other traditions say that Matthew was martyred in Hierapolis of Parthia. 

According to St. Ephiphanius, Bishop of Cyprus, Saint Matthew was martyred in Hierapolis (of Parthia) and it was actually Saint Matthias the Apostle who replaced Judas Iscariot that was martyred in a land south of Egypt.

I hope that this was helpful.

Peace to all,

HaileAmanuel

Why are you quoting Ullendorf may I ask?

I am sure of the connection to your point.

In any event Ullendorf is not Orthodox and as such has no authority to teach about Ethiopian Church history.

I general find his 'research' sloppy and biased regarding our history; Christian and otherwise.

HaileAmanuel

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 01:39:06 PM »

Greetings Archdeacon AmdeTsion and to All,

I apologize in advance, because I don't know if I am replying to the posts correctly, so please excuse me. 

Archdeacon, with all do respect, I found this information that was supposedly 'unearthed' by Mr. Ullendorff.  Also, when trying to 'unearth' historical data, whether religious or not, secular opinion has been considered in the past and present by the Orthodox Churches. 

Sir Roger Cowley, an Anglo, is very well known for his accurate translations of many Ethiopian/Eritrean Orthodox Tewahido Church books.  He was a prominent scholar and he was fluent in Ge'ez, Tigrinya, Amharic, Oriminya and Gueriginya.  Yet, he was not Orthodox in his faith.  Sir Wallis Budge is another historian that has translated many Ethiopian, Egyptian, Mesopotamian and Syrian texts-MOST STOLEN, but he gave those who speak English, French or German an exposure to these ancient civilizations. 

As you may know, Origen, Theodore of Mopsuestia, Eusbius and many others were/are considered heretics to our Orthodox Tewahido Faith, but yet we still use some of their interpretations (tergwame) and the historical data that they left behind. 

Josephus was Jewish, yet we use so much of his historical writings.  Rufinus, Pliny, Homer and others all wrote about the history of the Red Sea, Adulis and Abyssinnia; they were not Orthodox, yet we treasure this historical data that they deposited for present and future reference.  They have contributed to undoubted proofs and attest to many a people's history that were otherwise challenged. 

There are many others, including fascist Italians that have written about the Ethiopian/Eritrean Biblical legacy; I think that we are judging the accuracy their of information and not their ancestral background. 

I personally remember reading Edward Ullendorff's books such as: Ethiopia and the Bible and the Autobiography of Haile Selassie.  Even if some of his opinions are harsh or some of the information is slighted, I think that the reader is given a greater insight on Ethiopia that he or she may not previously been exposed to from innate or prior information.  Most of his references are accurate and documented. 

Thank you and God bless your mission. 

Peace to all,

HaileAmanuel

Amdetsion
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 07:12:52 PM »

Greetings Archdeacon AmdeTsion and to All,

I apologize in advance, because I don't know if I am replying to the posts correctly, so please excuse me. 

Archdeacon, with all do respect, I found this information that was supposedly 'unearthed' by Mr. Ullendorff.  Also, when trying to 'unearth' historical data, whether religious or not, secular opinion has been considered in the past and present by the Orthodox Churches. 

Sir Roger Cowley, an Anglo, is very well known for his accurate translations of many Ethiopian/Eritrean Orthodox Tewahido Church books.  He was a prominent scholar and he was fluent in Ge'ez, Tigrinya, Amharic, Oriminya and Gueriginya.  Yet, he was not Orthodox in his faith.  Sir Wallis Budge is another historian that has translated many Ethiopian, Egyptian, Mesopotamian and Syrian texts-MOST STOLEN, but he gave those who speak English, French or German an exposure to these ancient civilizations. 

As you may know, Origen, Theodore of Mopsuestia, Eusbius and many others were/are considered heretics to our Orthodox Tewahido Faith, but yet we still use some of their interpretations (tergwame) and the historical data that they left behind. 

Josephus was Jewish, yet we use so much of his historical writings.  Rufinus, Pliny, Homer and others all wrote about the history of the Red Sea, Adulis and Abyssinnia; they were not Orthodox, yet we treasure this historical data that they deposited for present and future reference.  They have contributed to undoubted proofs and attest to many a people's history that were otherwise challenged. 

There are many others, including fascist Italians that have written about the Ethiopian/Eritrean Biblical legacy; I think that we are judging the accuracy their of information and not their ancestral background. 

I personally remember reading Edward Ullendorff's books such as: Ethiopia and the Bible and the Autobiography of Haile Selassie.  Even if some of his opinions are harsh or some of the information is slighted, I think that the reader is given a greater insight on Ethiopia that he or she may not previously been exposed to from innate or prior information.  Most of his references are accurate and documented. 

Thank you and God bless your mission. 

Peace to all,

HaileAmanuel

Fair enough HialeAmanuel.....

However; I maintain that I am very unreceptive to "scholars" who claim to now too much about me. You can not study everything there is to know about Ethiopia or any society.

You know me by being me.

Ullendorf and those he support has created the image that 'they' know more about 'me' than I do. And that is why I shut him down.

To know God you must give away your own senses of Him and of yourself. Ignorance is the means of achieving His grace. Pious men of the past found truth by humility and suffering. Not by climbing the levels of academia.

I appreciate your respectful manner toward me. God bless you.

But please refer to me as simply Deacon Amde. Shamefully I have failed to even live up to that.

I have been a fool all of my life so far and get more and more foolish by the day.

Egziabeher yibarqeh...

Pray for me.

Your Servant
Dcn Amde Tsion
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 07:19:28 PM by Amdetsion » Logged

HaileAmanuel

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 09:38:50 PM »

Peace to you Deacon AmdeTsion,

I seen in a few posts that you are referred to as Father Deacon or Archdeacon, and I know that our Church ordains our deacons with the entire rank(s) of the diaconate at the time of ordination (this is another subject).

Anyway, it is definitely agreed that one must walk a mile in another's shoes to experience a fraction of his or her life, but I think that authors such as Edward Ullendorff and the Pankhurst Family (Richard and his daughter) take upon themselves the interest of the Nation and Her peoples. 

They even consult with the great traditional historians such as Professor Getachew Haile, Professor Tadesse Tamrat, Dr. Sergew Habte Selassie and Dr. Merid Wolde Aregay.  In turn, these great historians have related information that was collected by historians, such as the ancients that I previously mentioned and even modern Italian historians, namely C. Conti Rossini, Ernst Hammerschmidt, E.A.Wallis Budge, Stuart C. Munro-Hay, Hiob Ludolf and so many others.

Ethiopia, Eritrea and Nubia (Sudan) have great histories and past civilizations that we have to be proud of; but to do so, we have to saturate our minds with the history that is preserved until now.  The present is an opportune time, because it is given to us in a common language; documented, referenced and cross-referenced; and now, it is at our fingertips through the internet. 

I hope that we will preserve our faith, history and become recepticles that recycle, not destroy.

Peace be with you,

HaileAmanuel

Amdetsion
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 01:34:53 AM »

Peace to you Deacon AmdeTsion,

I seen in a few posts that you are referred to as Father Deacon or Archdeacon, and I know that our Church ordains our deacons with the entire rank(s) of the diaconate at the time of ordination (this is another subject).

Anyway, it is definitely agreed that one must walk a mile in another's shoes to experience a fraction of his or her life, but I think that authors such as Edward Ullendorff and the Pankhurst Family (Richard and his daughter) take upon themselves the interest of the Nation and Her peoples. 

They even consult with the great traditional historians such as Professor Getachew Haile, Professor Tadesse Tamrat, Dr. Sergew Habte Selassie and Dr. Merid Wolde Aregay.  In turn, these great historians have related information that was collected by historians, such as the ancients that I previously mentioned and even modern Italian historians, namely C. Conti Rossini, Ernst Hammerschmidt, E.A.Wallis Budge, Stuart C. Munro-Hay, Hiob Ludolf and so many others.

Ethiopia, Eritrea and Nubia (Sudan) have great histories and past civilizations that we have to be proud of; but to do so, we have to saturate our minds with the history that is preserved until now.  The present is an opportune time, because it is given to us in a common language; documented, referenced and cross-referenced; and now, it is at our fingertips through the internet. 

I hope that we will preserve our faith, history and become recepticles that recycle, not destroy.

Peace be with you,

HaileAmanuel

I shall try to be more open to this very clear perspective.

You are correct about our Church diaconate.

I am not ashamed of the fact that we still preseve the full order of the diaconate; it is very important in Ethiopia as you know. I happen to feel more relaxed and at one with people in this format when they use Father Deacon or just Deacon Amde. So I have embraced these references at different times on this forum.

You are right in your manner as I stated before. Please say what you feel makes you comfortable.

No problem.

Thanks for your insights.

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 12:56:58 PM »

According to the Greek Synaxarion (not Ethiopian, but closer than Ullendorf at least), the Holy Apostle was martyred in Ethiopia at the hands of the ruler Fulvian. He later repented, receiving holy baptism from Bishop Platon, who gave him the name Matthew. Fulvian soon abdicated and became a presbyter. After the death of Bishop Platon, the holy Apostle Matthew appearad to Fulvian and told him to become the head of the Ethiopian Church and continue his work of preaching the Gospel.
Amdetsion
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008, 01:15:08 PM »

According to the Greek Synaxarion (not Ethiopian, but closer than Ullendorf at least), the Holy Apostle was martyred in Ethiopia at the hands of the ruler Fulvian. He later repented, receiving holy baptism from Bishop Platon, who gave him the name Matthew. Fulvian soon abdicated and became a presbyter. After the death of Bishop Platon, the holy Apostle Matthew appearad to Fulvian and told him to become the head of the Ethiopian Church and continue his work of preaching the Gospel.

Interesting!

Can you post more on this?

Do have a link to the Greek Synaxarium or other references?

Thanks

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2008, 03:41:55 PM »

The Holy Apostle and Evangelist Matthew, was also named Levi (Mk. 2: 14; Lk. 5: 27); he was an Apostle from among the Twelve (Mk. 3: 18; Lk. 6: 45; Acts 1: 13), and was brother of the Apostle James Alphaeus (Mk. 2: 14). He was a publican, i.e. a tax-collector for Rome, in a time when the Jews had come under the rule of the Roman empire. He lived in the Galileian city of Capernaum. Matthew, in hearing the voice of Jesus Christ: "Come, follow Me" (Mt. 9: 9), left off from his duties and followed the Saviour. Christ and His disciples did not refuse the invitation of Matthew and they visited at his house, where they shared table with the friends and acquaintances of the publican -- who like the host were publicans and known sinners. This event extremely bothered the pharisees and scribes.

Publicans, in collecting taxes from their countrymen, did this with great profit for themselves. Usually greedy and cruel people, the Jews considered them pernicious and betrayers of their country and religion. The word "publican" connoted for the Jews the sense of "public-sinner" and "idol-worshipper". To even speak with a tax-collector was considered a sin, and to associate with one -- was defilement. But the Jewish teachers were not able to comprehend, that the Lord was "come to call not the righteous, but sinners to repentance" (Mt. 9: 13).

Matthew, acknowledging his sinfulness, recompensed fourfold anyone he had overcharged, and he distributed his remaining possessions to the poor, and together with the other apostles he followed after Christ. Saint Matthew was attentive to the instructions of the Divine Teacher, he beheld His innumerable miracles, he went together with the 12 apostles preaching to "the lost sheep of the house of Israel" (Mt. 10: 6), he was a witness to the suffering, death, and Resurrection of the Saviour, and of His glorious Ascension into Heaven.

Having received the gifts of the grace of the Holy Spirit, which descended upon the apostles on the day of Pentecost, the Apostle Matthew for the first 8 years preached in Palestine. And before his departure to preach the Gospel in faraway lands, at the request of the Jews remaining at Jerusalem, the holy Apostle Matthew in his Gospel gave account of the earthly life of the Saviour of the world -- of the God-man Jesus Christ and His teaching.

In the order of the books of the New Testament, the Gospel of Matthew comes first. Palestine is said to be the place of writing of the Gospel. The Gospel was written by Saint Matthew in the year 42, in his native Jewish language, and then translated into Greek. The Hebrew text has not survived for us, but many of the linguistic and cultural-historical peculiarities of the Greek translation remind of it.

The Apostle Matthew preached among people having quite certain religious expectations about the Messiah. His Gospel manifests itself as a vivid proof that Jesus Christ -- is the real Messiah, foretold of by the prophets, and that another there would not be (Mt. 11: 3). The preachings and deeds of the Saviour are presented by the evangelist in three divisions, constituting three aspects of the service of the Messiah: as Prophet and Law-Giver (Ch. 5-7), Lord over the world both visible and invisible (Ch. 8-25), and finally as High-Priest offered as Sacrifice for the sins of all mankind (Ch. 26-27). The theological content of the Gospel, besides the Christological themes, includes also the teaching about the Kingdom of God and about the Church, which the Lord sets forth in parables about the inner preparation for entering into the Kingdom (Ch. 5-7), about the worthiness of servers of the Church in the world (Ch. 10-11), about the signs of the Kingdom and its growth in the souls of mankind (Ch. 13), about the humility and simplicity of the inheritors of the Kingdom (Mt. 18: 1-35; 19: 13-30; 20: 1-16; 25-27; 23: 1-28), and about the eschatological revelations of the Kingdom in the Second Coming of Christ within the daily spiritual life of the Church (Ch. 24-25). The Kingdom of Heaven and the Church are closely inter-connected in the spiritual experience of Christianity: the Church is the historical embodiment of the Kingdom of Heaven in the world, and the Kingdom of Heaven is the Church of Christ in its eschatological perfection (Mt. 16: 18-19; 28: 18-20).

The holy Apostle made the rounds with the "good-news" to Syria, Media, Persia, Parthia, and finishing his preaching work in AEthiopia with a martyr's death. This land was inhabited by tribes of cannibals with primitive customs and beliefs. The holy Apostle Matthew by his preaching there converted some of the idol-worshippers to faith in Christ. He founded the Church and built a temple in the city of Mirmena, establishing there as bishop his companion by the name of Plato(n).

When the holy apostle was fervently beseeching God for the conversion of the Ethiopians, during the time of prayer the Lord Himself appeared to him in the form of a youth, and having given him a staff, commanded him to put it upright at the doors of the church. The Lord said, that from this staff would grow a tree and it would bear fruit, and from its roots would flow a stream of water. And in washing themselves in the water and eating of the fruit, the Ethiopians lost their wild ways and became gentle and good.

When the holy apostle carried the staff towards the church, on the pathway there met him the wife and son of the ruler of the land, Fulvian, who were afflicted by unclean spirits. By the Name of Christ the holy apostle healed them. This miracle converted to the Lord quite a number of the pagans. But the ruler did not want that his subjects should become Christians and cease to worship the pagan gods. He accused the apostle of sorcery and gave orders to execute him. They put saint Matthew head downwards, heaped up brushwood and ignited it. When the bonfire flared up, everyone then saw, that the fire did no harm to Saint Matthew. Then Fulvian gave orders to add more wood to the fire, and frenzied with boldness, he commanded to set up around the bonfire 12 idols. But the flames spread to the idols and caught on even Fulvian. The frightened Ethiopian turned to the saint with an entreaty for mercy, and by the prayer of the martyr the flame went out. The body of the holy apostle remained unharmed, and he expired to the Lord (+ 60).

The ruler Fulvian deeply repented his deed, but still he had doubts. By his command, they put the body of Saint Matthew into an iron coffin and threw it into the sea. In doing this Fulvian said, that if the God of Matthew would preserve the body of the apostle in the water, as He preserved him in the fire, then this would be proper reason to worship this One True God.

On that night the Apostle Matthew appeared to Bishop Platon in a dream vision, and commanded him to go with clergy to the shore of the sea and to find his body there. Together with the bishop on his way to the shore of the sea went Righteous Fulvian and his retinue. The coffin carried back by the waves was with honour taken to the church built by the apostle. Then Fulvian begged forgiveness of the holy Apostle Matthew, after which Bishop Platon baptised him, giving him the name Matthew in obedience to a command of God. Soon Saint Fulvian-Matthew abdicated his rule and became a presbyter. Upon the death of Bishop Platon, the Apostle Matthew appeared to him and exhorted him to head the AEthiopian Church. Having become a bishop, Saint Matthew-Fulvian toiled much at preaching the Word of God, continuing with the work of his heavenly patron-saint.

©  1997  by translator Fr. S. Janos.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 03:47:41 PM by Orthodox11 » Logged
HaileAmanuel

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2008, 12:53:34 PM »

Selam Archdeacon AmdeTsion,

Could you tell us what the Ethiopian Synaxarium says concerning the Martyrdom of St. Matthew?

Thank you in advance.

Peace to you,

HaileAmanuel

Amdetsion
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2008, 03:50:13 PM »

I am researching it.

kijabeboy03
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

"The glory of God is in man fully alive."

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 06:48:26 PM »

Selam Archdeacon AmdeTsion,

Could you tell us what the Ethiopian Synaxarium says concerning the Martyrdom of St. Matthew?

Thank you in advance.

Peace to you,

HaileAmanuel

12 Tiqimt / 22 October

And on this day Saint Matthew the apostle and evangelist, one of the Twelve Apostles, became a martyr, after he had preached in the cities of the priests, and converted them to the knowledge of God. Now it happened that when he wished to go into the city of priests, he found a certain young man who said unto him, “Thou wilt not be able to go into this city unless thou shavest off the hair of thy head and thy beard, and carriest palm branches in thy hand.” And he did even as the young man commanded him, and as he was sorrowing because of this, straightway our Lord Jesus Christ appeared unto him under a form, which he knew, that is to say, the form of the young man who had spoken unto him; and He encouraged and consoled him and then disappeared from him. When Saint Matthew had entered into the city, he made himself unseen by the people, like one of the priests. And he went to the temple of Apollo, and found the high priest, and talked with him concerning the gods, and Saint Matthew made him to know that they were not gods; and he wrought miracles and wonders before him, and light rose upon them, and a table came down to them from heaven. When Hermes the priest saw this wonderful thing he said unto Saint Matthew, “What is the name of your god?” And he said, “The Name of my God is Christ,” and straightway Hermes the priest believed on our Lord Jesus Christ, and many people believed with him. When the king of this city heard this thing he commanded his soldiers to burn them in the fire. And at the moment the son of the king died, and Saint Matthew made supplication to our Lord Christ, and he raised the king’s son from the dead; and straightway the king and all the men of the city believed. Then Saint Matthew appointed a bishop and priests over them, and he built a church for them, and he went forth from the city to the cities, which were outside, and he converted them and brought them to the knowledge of God. Before this Saint Thomas had been to the City of the Blessed, and he saw our Lord coming to them at all times, having with Him the souls of babes, which were in number eighteen thousand. And on the first day of every feast our Lord Christ cometh to them, and with Him are His angels. And these blessed ones are they to whom Simas the desert priest went, and he was witness of their strives, and of their marvelous works. After this Saint Matthew the apostle and evangelist went to the city of Jerusalem, and the land of Judah, and he wrote his Gospel in the Hebrew language. Then he went to the city, which is outside, and he found therein a certain man who was in prison; now Saint Matthew used to visit those who were shut up in prison. And the man had to pay back to his lord the money, which he had given him to trade therewith, together with a profit thereon, but he dropped it into the sea and lost it. And Saint Matthew the apostle said unto that man, “Go thou to such and such a place, and what thou findest therein take, and give to thy lord.” And the man went and he found a bag full of gold, and he took it and gave it to his master and was saved. And the story of Saint Matthew’s [act] was heard throughout the city, and many men believed on our Lord Jesus Christ. When Justus the governor of that city heard that many men believed on our Lord Christ, he was exceedingly wroth, and he ordered his soldiers to cut off the head of Saint Matthew, and to cast his body to the fowls of the air. And they cut off his head with a sword, and certain believing men came and took his holy body and laid it in a holy place. Salutation to Matthew whose voice compelled the deep to restore from its depths a certain man, the gold, which had sunk in it.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 06:48:46 PM by kijabeboy03 » Logged

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
Tags: Ethiopian Orthodox Church saints 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: