OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 10:08:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icons  (Read 1518 times) Average Rating: 0
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« on: December 18, 2007, 09:52:25 AM »

Grace and Peace,

It would appear that many, or some, Early Church Fathers were against images of our Lord, etc. Why are we so sure we are right about this practice?

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 09:57:19 AM »

It was pronounced correct in an Ecumenical Council working under the influence of the Holy Spirit, enuf said!

Thomas
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 09:57:41 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 10:03:46 AM »

Why are we so sure we are right about this practice?
The Seventh Oecumenical Council.

What we should really be asking is why anyone who calls themselves "Christian" would not venerate Icons.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 10:39:34 AM »

This issue was raised last month. See here.

I would suggest that the very real danger of Christians succumbing to icon worship and the risk of undermining the Church's battle against paganism, as presented by the use of Icons in a significantly pagan populated context, account for the disposition of the early Church on Icons. The ease with which Christians could later accept Icons is probably proportional to the decline of paganism. Maybe someone can offer a better explanation; I am merely conjecturing.

In any event, it's not like there was widespread hostility to Icons in the early Church, and there are certainly examples of early Christian iconography (and, surprisingly, even Jewish iconography!).
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 11:04:57 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Alexius

Faith: Eastern Catholic

Baptism of Poland

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 01:33:20 AM »

Isn't it true that at a council held previous to Nicea II (?), icons were condemned? I think I read that this particular council was called the Seventh Ecumenical Council and that the one in 747 was put into play out of political pressure?? If this is correct, then where was the Holy Spirit at the other council???

"You cannot reason with those who do not..."

Prayers and Petitions,
                        Alexius Cool
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 01:52:24 AM »

Isn't it true that at a council held previous to Nicea II (?), icons were condemned? I think I read that this particular council was called the Seventh Ecumenical Council and that the one in 747 was put into play out of political pressure?? If this is correct, then where was the Holy Spirit at the other council???

The Robber Council of Hieria in 754 was summoned by the iconoclast Emperor Constantine V.  It styled itself as the 7th Ecumenical Council.  No Patriarch or their representatives attended.  Its decrees were overturned by the Second Council of Nicaea in 787.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 01:53:28 AM by Friul » Logged

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Alexius

Faith: Eastern Catholic

Baptism of Poland

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 02:04:51 AM »

The Robber Council of Hieria in 754 was summoned by the iconoclast Emperor Constantine V.  It styled itself as the 7th Ecumenical Council.  No Patriarch or their representatives attended.  Its decrees were overturned by the Second Council of Nicaea in 787.

I see. Well, that explains it then...Thanks! Smiley

"You cannot reason with those who do not..."

Prayers and Petitions,
                        Alexius Cool
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 11:07:10 PM »

It would appear that many, or some, Early Church Fathers were against images of our Lord, etc. Why are we so sure we are right about this practice? 

I don't remember if this was referenced in the other thread (thanks, EA), but icons have been used by the faithful for respectful worship since before Jesus' time - there were such images in the temple, and of course on the Ark of the Covenant.  But, as EA rightly cautions, we must be careful to not worship the icons, and that's normally where the caution of the Fathers comes in.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 11:15:22 PM »

enuf said!

An argument from authority is hardly effective for someone who doesn't recognize the authority to which you are appealing. 
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 11:28:33 PM »

Grace and Peace,

Graven images in the OT was meant to refer to statues of pagan gods.

Since Christ Jesus became Man and we know that He was true man and True God, His image cannot be considered graven.

Tradition has St. Luke the Evangelist writing the first Icon of the Theotokos and the infant Christ. 

In more practical terms, one has photos of his family either in his house of in his wallet.  We all know that the picture is not the person but represents the person. When we pull out the photo dont we say that "this is my son, or daughter?"  We know that the picture isnt the actual person but is a representation of the person we all love. 

We dont venerate the physical Icon we venerate who the Icon represents after all the Icon is nothing more than wood, egg pigment and gold leaf.  One doesnt venerate the elements that make up the icon but the one who is depicted.

Tags: icons 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: