OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 04:03:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jordanville Prayer Book  (Read 2843 times) Average Rating: 0
seraphim08

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« on: December 16, 2007, 10:27:46 PM »

Does anyone use this prayer book? I'd like to get a prayer book before too long and have seen this one on a couple of sites. Opinions? Recommendations?
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 11:36:25 PM »

It is very complete and very readable and you can get it for free (can't beat free, can you?).  There is also a plethora of akathists, canons (especially in prepartion for the eucharist) as well as some prayers and hymns for various days of the week, feasts, certain seasons, etc.  It is very complete., but it is more geared for the Slavic traditions of Orthodoxy.

I don't know what jurisdiction you belong to, but if it is GOA or AOA, I recommend the HTM (Holy Transfiguration Monastery) blue prayerbook, which is what I use.  It costs about $15 (go to their website at thehtm.org for actual cost).  It has many of the same things in the Jordanville book, but it is more geared towards those jurisdictoins which follow the Greek typicon.  A word of caution, many people find the translations of hte HTM prayerbook to be very difficult.  It is in Jacobean English, but sometimes the sentences can get too long and the grammar isn't always correct (e.g. "builded" for "built"). 

Either way, both are excellent means for helping you with your rule of prayer.  Just mho.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 11:52:46 PM »

I think the Jordanville prayer book is pretty good.  The one that I like is the OCA one published by St. Tikhon's Seminary Press in 1982, called Orthodox Daily Prayers.It has a lot of things similar to the Jordanville one, though I don't believe the Jordanvillle one has some of the prayers of the Fathers in it that I really love, or little compline, which I also really like.  The Jordanville Prayer Book does have a ROCOR translation of the Divine Liturgy though.   If you can get one for free as Scamandrius says, it can't hurt to check it out. 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 11:54:01 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 11:55:35 PM »

It is very complete and very readable and you can get it for free (can't beat free, can you?). 

Here is the on-line version which you may or may not have seen:  http://www.myriobiblos.gr/texts/english/prayerbook/main.htm

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

Órëlaurëa
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the midwest

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 04:53:24 PM »

Free? I have the Jordanville, but I bought it. I really like it, and my priest approved my use of it in my daily devotions. I wonder where you are getting it for no cost, though?

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 02:59:14 PM »

My guess would be that Scamandrius is referring to the online version.

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Órëlaurëa
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 04:33:55 PM »

Ahh. . . I see. Free is good. Cheesy

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 05:24:38 PM »

Ahh. . . I see. Free is good. Cheesy

Free is GREAT.  Despite all the good things on the internet for free, I will admit that I still prefer books.  As Erasmus once said, "Whenever I have a little money, I buy books.  With whatever is left over, I will then buy food and clothes."

Órëlaurëa
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 06:00:53 PM »

Free is GREAT.  Despite all the good things on the internet for free, I will admit that I still prefer books.  As Erasmus once said, "Whenever I have a little money, I buy books.  With whatever is left over, I will then buy food and clothes."

Me too! Exactly the reason I try to stay out of Border's. Cheesy

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 12:24:19 AM »

Does anyone use this prayer book? I'd like to get a prayer book before too long and have seen this one on a couple of sites. Opinions? Recommendations?
This is THE one!  Wink

Even the Moscow Patriarchate purloined the Jordanville Prayerbook (in its Russian form) just after Perestroika and printed it by the hundreds of thousands as the best choice of Prayerbook for the Russian faithful.    They knew the best when they saw it! 

Tags: prayer books rule of prayer prayer Jordanville Prayer Book 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: