OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 03:40:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amharic to English Translation  (Read 4029 times) Average Rating: 0
Orthodox11
Archon

« on: December 15, 2007, 09:11:45 PM »

Ethiopian Tewahedo Church

I was wondering if any Amharic speakers here would be able to translate the narration on this video. I know it would be very time consuming, but it seems like a really good description of various elements of the Ethiopian rite, so would be of great benefit to all the interested posters on this forum.

Thanks
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 10:39:49 PM »

A word by word translation of the whole thing may be too much to ask, but it may be nice to at least get a summary and an explanation of the liturgical instruments and rites that we see in that beautiful video.  If Deacon Amde has the time, it would be a real treat.   Smiley
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 10:40:27 PM by Salpy » Logged

Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 02:55:20 PM »

I did not watch the entire video yet.

From what I saw it is demonstrating the various activities and interests undertaken by the Ethiopian Church which assist with day to day life in many parts of Ethiopia.

The Orthodox Church of Ethiopia is the public advocate and social service arm of the nation "since the the beginning of the era" as noted by the narrater; which means since the the age of the Church.

I will try to watch it in full tonight and post more about the specifics.

Thanks for the video.

God bless+++

Dcn Amde

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
Amdetsion
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 04:34:50 PM »

I did not watch the entire video yet.

From what I saw it is demonstrating the various activities and interests undertaken by the Ethiopian Church which assist with day to day life in many parts of Ethiopia.

The Orthodox Church of Ethiopia is the public advocate and social service arm of the nation "since the the beginning of the era" as noted by the narrater; which means since the the age of the Church.

I will try to watch it in full tonight and post more about the specifics.

Thanks for the video.

God bless+++

Dcn Amde

I watched it.

After the first few minutes the video beguns its main objective which is to describe the function of the Ethiopina Tewahado Church.

Then the video moves into whole description of the Ethiopian Orthodox traditions with brief discriptions of the the clergical orders Preist, deacon, sub-deacon, reader, canters, laymen. Above these are bishop, arch bishop, Egzi-eneh papasaat (Patriarch), and above these "Christ" (they demonstrated this by showing the icon of a christ with thorns looking upward). The Icon used to demostrate that Christ is the head of the church is not true Ethiopian iconography. Such icons to many Ethiopian christians are not even orthodox. I was quite embarrassed by the various RC and protestant type icons we have come to use lately in Ethiopia. Its not just because they are white but they are not prepared with orthodox theoligical tradition. I have Russian traditional icons at my office at home etc. which are very orthodox just to make my point.

Anyway....

They go on to then decribe all the various vestments styles worn during the qidassie (liturgy) by the different clergy from sub-deacon to high priest (Kahon, or Leke Kahonot). It shows the crowns (Aqlilew be Kahonot ze Leke Diaqonot) of the high priest and the arch deacons as well. In the Ethiopian Church you know the arch deacon by the fact that he is wearing a very ornate crown and carrying a huge processional cross through out the whole service (see my avatar). The arch deacon will not carry the cross during the distribution of qurban (Communion) because he will be holding the Chalice administering the blood of Christ to the communicants. The sub-deacon carries the lite of Christ or candle. Ethiopia accepts what is considered "Jerusalem" or Byzantine tradition where the subdeacons, readers and chanters wear white tunics, subdeacons wears a sash crossing his back and the deacon and arch deacon wears the sash over one shoulder but use our local tradition largely or in 97% of the cases. You will find more of the so-called "Jerusalem" tradition in the capitol Addis Abebe and our churches outside Ethiopia; however even in these areas the "Ethiopian" tradition prevails; especially for special celebrations.

During the reading of the Holy Gosple the Leke Kahonot reads the word while carrying the Cross of the arch deacon and the lite (candle) of the sub deacon. This act demonstrates the Old and New testaments which are fullfilled in the Gospels.

They went on to give a brief overview of the church vessels and the use of them in our tradition. They showed how the pesifora (holy bread) is ceremonially made prepared then taken out of what we call 'beyta-lehem" (Bethlehem) where the holy host is made by the deacons. Only a fully ordained deacon or archdeacon can work with the holy bread. The morning of the service the holy bread is put in a 'mesob' (basket) and covered with a beautiful vestment which is blessed. This ornately clad basket wit the holy bread in it is trhen carried on the head of the deacon with prayers and bells, Brocade umbrellas symbolizing the presence of god and the power of the holy spirit and much incense from the priest at the start of the service. The women yu-lu-late loudly and all people bow reverently. This depict Christ's triumphant entry into Jerusalem 7 days before His resurrection. This is the way the Liturgy begins.

The showed the bells, the censor the crowns (Aqlil) etc. All are used for various purposes during the service. The bell ringing has various meanings; one is that Christ said to be ready for his second coming which may appear at a time we do not know. So we ring the bell which reminds us top watch for Him.

The video is introducing people albiet breiflyto the Orthodox Church of Ethiopia. There is more things that they did mention and many things they did not mention.

I hope this helped.

Your Servant

Dcn Amde Tsion
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 04:43:12 PM by Amdetsion » Logged

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 09:07:34 PM »

Thank you, Deacon!  That really did help a lot!

HaileAmanuel
HaileAmanuel [Amanuel is my Power]

Faith: Coptic/Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahido Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahido/Non-Chalcedonian

He that is greatest among you will be your servant

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 01:15:51 PM »

Peace Archdeacon AmdeTsion,

I know that the topic of this post is a little older, but I wanted to ask you a question if you don't mind...

Were you born and raised in Addis Ababa

I ask this out of curiousity, thank you and take care.

Selam,

HaileAmanuel

'He who is greatest among you, will be your servant [St. Matthew 23:11].'
Amdetsion
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 03:48:10 PM »

Peace Archdeacon AmdeTsion,

I know that the topic of this post is a little older, but I wanted to ask you a question if you don't mind...

Were you born and raised in Addis Ababa

I ask this out of curiousity, thank you and take care.

Selam,

HaileAmanuel

Why are you curious?

You did not post an open question to Salpy asking if he was born and raised in Armenia.

HaileAmanuel

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 05:18:30 PM »

Selam Archdeacon AmdeTsion,

I am sorry if I seemed to offend you.  The reason I asked is due to the fact that you mentioned, 'the streets of Addis Abeba' on a few occasions.  Plus, I am of mixed heritage, with includes an Ethiopian parent...

I was just curious...

Accept my sincere apologies.

HaileAmanuel

Amdetsion
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 06:32:20 PM »

Selam Archdeacon AmdeTsion,

I am sorry if I seemed to offend you.  The reason I asked is due to the fact that you mentioned, 'the streets of Addis Abeba' on a few occasions.  Plus, I am of mixed heritage, with includes an Ethiopian parent...

I was just curious...

Accept my sincere apologies.

HaileAmanuel

Chegere yelem alng...

Innay ye-Iteyopeya-we nang::

Ye-teweled kewt be Amereeka hager neow::

Eshee wendemeyeh yi-neow!

Enfomashon beka yi-neow?

Hulu enformashon te-feligaleh?

Egziabeher yibarqew...Egziabeher sim Selaam

Diayeqone Amde Tsion

« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 06:34:14 PM by Amdetsion » Logged

HaileAmanuel

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 08:28:17 PM »

I'shee Liq'dee'ya'qon AmdeTsion...

Yene amarinya mestekakel indalebet hulu, yantem amarinya mestekakel yalebet yemeslenyal [LOL].

Sil'ante in'e desbilonyal, neger gen deyaqon indem'hon'he meTen, seuw fee't sitinager negerochin amezazne'h bi'tnager des yelenya'l.

[Sorry for the delay, I heard that my puppy in Ethiopia was eaten by a hyena.]

Ameseganelehu, i'g'zee'a'b'hay'r y'bar'k'h...

HaileAmanuel

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 10:06:51 PM »

I'm so sorry to hear that.  You have my condolences.  I have a relative whose kitten was eaten by a coyote.  It's a horrible thing to lose a pet like that.

Amdetsion
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 10:14:33 PM »

I'shee Liq'dee'ya'qon AmdeTsion...

Yene amarinya mestekakel indalebet hulu, yantem amarinya mestekakel yalebet yemeslenyal [LOL].

Sil'ante in'e desbilonyal, neger gen deyaqon indem'hon'he meTen, seuw fee't sitinager negerochin amezazne'h bi'tnager des yelenya'l.

Ameseganelehu, i'g'zee'a'b'hay'r y'bar'k'h...

HaileAmanuel

Your phonetics is very excellent. Ejiga betum teru neow!

Actually my Amharic is very poor. I barely get by.

I only used the Amaharic phonetic because I did not want to respond directly to your question in English.

I will explain this better if you email me directly. No problem.

As far as my manner of speech; sometimes I speak better than I write. I find writing gives me too much time to think and vent. When I talk I hear myself and see a face...real people. I am better in this case; more 'considerate'.

However; I do agree with what you said.

I will make more effort.

Pray for me.

God Bless you!

Dcn Amde

Amdetsion
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 10:16:37 PM »

Oh yeah!

Wow; I am sorry about your pet.

Tags: Ethiopian Orthodox Church clerical dress vestments head coverings 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: