OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 06:56:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Mac User  (Read 1727 times) Average Rating: 0
St. Christopher

« on: December 17, 2007, 08:10:58 PM »

Do you Mac veterans have any advice for a new Mac user?  (I did use a Mac classic and Mac LC ten years ago, but computers have changed so much it's like I'm a new user.)

Any advice would be appreciated.   Smiley
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 08:20:34 PM »

Grace and Peace,

If you don't already have one, get a two button mouse with a wheel. If you have a Mighty Mouse, go ahead a buy another one now because those little wheel-balls don't last long.  Tongue

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
Athanasios
Latin Rite Catholic faithful to the Holy Father and the Magisterium
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Church Diocese of Youngstown

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 08:33:39 PM »

Hello,

What are you hopeful to do with your new Mac?

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

Pray that we may be one, as Christ and His Father are one. (John 17:20ff)

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 08:36:17 PM »

Rejoice that you have found the true path! 

I don't miss the two button mouse at all.  Just click control while clicking and it acts as the second mouse button. 

My general Mac advice is to not get carried away with little features....too many widgets and like can get annoying.  Take advantage of the customization features... you can turn off that REALLY annoying dock magnification, move the dock anywhere, customize how you turn expose on...and enjoy spotlight as that has saved me more time than almost anything else.  I still haven't update and am only running OS X.4 so I can't comment too much on X.5
St. Christopher

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 10:06:15 PM »

We planning on doing basic stuff--web, word processing, and music downloading.  It's an older iBook (500 G3, 576 m, 9 g, DVD), but it's adequate for our purposes.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 10:18:50 PM »

I can't stand Macs. I would NEVER go back to one of those junky things.

Linux on a PC is what I like...oh wait, with OSX (a fork of BSD) running on Intel chips...isn't that what Macs are now? lol

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
wynd
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

Transfiguration

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 11:23:02 PM »

Linux on a PC is what I like...oh wait, with OSX (a fork of BSD) running on Intel chips...isn't that what Macs are now? lol

Something like that. I've never gotten the chance to use one extensively, so I've always wondered if the command line and underlying UNIX system is as powerful as one of the "regular" Unices or if some stuff is only available in the OSX GUI.
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 01:16:40 PM »

Hello,

Currently Macs are running on Intel chips and the OS X uses the MACH kernel which is based off of FreeBSD.

But, seeing how they are running Intel, that should mean that you can take a Mac now and put any OS that can run on an Intel - and should be able to take any Intel compatible system and put on the Mac OS (but, I haven't heard one way or another on how this fares).

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 01:19:02 PM »

Hello,

Something like that. I've never gotten the chance to use one extensively, so I've always wondered if the command line and underlying UNIX system is as powerful as one of the "regular" Unices or if some stuff is only available in the OSX GUI.

I would imagine it would be more like a glossy Linux distro - like Fedora or Ubuntu (different DE, of course - though I have heard of people using KDE with Mac OS X). The internals should be just as powerful as any UNIX/Linux system - but they may be a little harder to locate under that Aqua veneer.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 07:13:49 AM »

Get acquainted with the F buttons.  Take advantage of the zoom in feature you have, and the "print screen" is interesting (you might need some time to get used to memorizing it though, apple-shift-4 to select a specific part of the screen or apple-shift-3 for the whole screen; it's the four that makes it interesting).  If you have a Macbook, the one button thing is actually better imo.  You use two fingers on the mouse pad and the button to right click.  It seems to me more convenient than going back and forth on buttons.  I haven't used a "desktop" version of Mac yet, so I can't judge you on that one.

Remember to let go of all your Windows addiction to the "ctrl" button and use the apple button instead.

And one other thing.  Unless you're absolutely desperate, don't install a "Windows compatibility" software into your Mac OS.  If you must, split the hard drive and install windows that way, so that if you do get a virus, it infects only that part.

And never fear.  There's always something compatible with Mac that you need.  It may require you to add the word "mac" to your google search if you must find it.

And have fun with your easiest-to-use, pretty-darn-fast computer.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 07:18:19 AM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 07:20:01 AM »

So I guess NOW you don't hate Macs.   Wink

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
St. Christopher

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 06:12:19 PM »

Thanks everyone.
Tags: Mac 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: