OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 08:04:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: C/C++ Programming Language  (Read 2966 times) Average Rating: 0
Athanasios
Latin Rite Catholic faithful to the Holy Father and the Magisterium
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Church Diocese of Youngstown

The Divine Mercy

« on: December 06, 2007, 01:07:46 AM »

Hello,

This thread is to discuss all things C/C++.

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

Pray that we may be one, as Christ and His Father are one. (John 17:20ff)

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 01:15:20 AM »

Bring it!
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 01:18:46 AM »

I'm game.  C# programmer myself, but I studied C++ in school recently.
Magicsilence
CAF driftwood

Maronite Catholic

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 08:27:16 AM »

I'm looking to start learning C, and then Objective C, to eventually handle programming in Cocoa on Mac OS X.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks, or advice? Websites etc...?

In Jesus Christ,
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 01:44:42 PM »

Where to start...well...

I'd get a solid book on C programming and learn the fundamentals first.  Don't mess with anything object-oriented.  Don't mess with graphics libraries or other classes.

Get a solid handle on memory allocation/pointers, get a firm grip on data structures, like queues, stacks, binary trees.  Learn about recursion and how to write efficient code.  If you have the time, learn how to use C to manipulate at the low level.  Above all, learn how to write GOOD and EFFICIENT code.

After you're solid with that, I'd move upwards.  Start learning about object oriented programming: polymorphism, class inheritance, etc.  Learn the concepts and procedures.  Afterward, you will have the necessary foundation to begin learning the more complicated "stuff".

That's my advice at least! 

wynd
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

Transfiguration

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 02:23:02 PM »

Hello,

This thread is to discuss all things C/C++.
The first "actual" programming language I learned (after Javascript) was C++. It was good, but C's simplicity and efficency are starting to appeal to me. Not to mention Linux comes with all the C documentation one could want (man 3 printf for example).
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 02:33:24 PM »

The first "actual" programming language I learned (after Javascript) was C++. It was good, but C's simplicity and efficency are starting to appeal to me. Not to mention Linux comes with all the C documentation one could want (man 3 printf for example).

I also learned C++ then, soon thereafter, abandoned the extras in favour of C. It's more efficent and generally leads to better code and with my research I had to coax every bit of computational efficiency I could out of our beowulf cluster so that I could keep the computation times reasonable (under 3 hours, ideally). I also found it to be a better language from the perspective of compatibility. If you write in C any C or C++ compiler should work for you, if you write in C++ it's a craps shoot.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 05:47:01 PM »

Hello,

I'd get a solid book on C programming and learn the fundamentals first.  Don't mess with anything object-oriented.  Don't mess with graphics libraries or other classes.
Everyone has their own preference - some say don't start off with an object-oriented language, others say to start with an object-oriented language.

Either way, you're first going to learn the procedural basics (at least with C++, I can't speak for other languages - especially pure object-oriented languages) before you move on to the object-oriented material.

C/C++ are probably to two most related programming languages out there - so if you learn one, it is fairly simple to learn the differences and know the other.

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 06:00:20 PM »

Hello,

I'm looking to start learning C, and then Objective C, to eventually handle programming in Cocoa on Mac OS X.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks, or advice? Websites etc...?

In Jesus Christ,

Get a good book. For C, that is K&R - still THE C BIBLE. In C++ most of the basic books will teach you the basics.

Get a good text editor, compiler, and debugger. For the text editor, I highly recommend vim (no need to start a flame war, though Grin). I recommend both the gcc compiler and the gdb debugger, but I don't know if they run in Mac OS?

Once you have these three, have at it. You'll never learn unless you program!!! You have to write code, a lot!!! And read code, too. Search for good projects written in the language your studying (you'd be surprised at these resources). Just like you wouldn't learn to be a good writer without reading some classics - you should read good code to learn what good code looks like.

And - practice, practice, practice!!!

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 06:02:57 PM »

Hello,

The first language I learned was Pascal, followed by several flavors of Basic (does that count Cheesy), and then C/C++. I'd like to learn Assembly later on, if I can. Next semester, I'll be learning Cobol for my business programming course and I might learn Java (not looking forward to that language Angry).

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 07:10:15 PM »

Hello,
The first language I learned was Pascal, followed by several flavors of Basic (does that count Cheesy), and then C/C++. I'd like to learn Assembly later on, if I can. Next semester, I'll be learning Cobol for my business programming course and I might learn Java (not looking forward to that language Angry).

Cobol? They still teach that?  What are we, stuck in 1976?
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 07:11:59 PM »

Hello,

Cobol? They still teach that?  What are we, stuck in 1976?
I don't want to, they're making me.

Besides, the government and banks, with its unlimited resources still thinks Cobol is viable (though, that's not saying much for Cobol  laugh)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 07:12:15 PM by Athanasios » Logged

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 07:13:30 PM »

Hello,

Get a good book. For C, that is K&R - still THE C BIBLE. In C++ most of the basic books will teach you the basics.

Get a good text editor, compiler, and debugger. For the text editor, I highly recommend vim (no need to start a flame war, though Grin). I recommend both the gcc compiler and the gdb debugger, but I don't know if they run in Mac OS?

Once you have these three, have at it. You'll never learn unless you program!!! You have to write code, a lot!!! And read code, too. Search for good projects written in the language your studying (you'd be surprised at these resources). Just like you wouldn't learn to be a good writer without reading some classics - you should read good code to learn what good code looks like.

And - practice, practice, practice!!!

Are you kidding?  GCC runs on nearly every platform.

http://developer.apple.com/tools/gcc_overview.html

Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 07:15:01 PM »

Hello,
I don't want to, they're making me.

Besides, the government and banks, with its unlimited resources still thinks Cobol is viable (though, that's not saying much for Cobol  laugh)

I work very heavily with two large US-based banks and can vouch for the fact that 50% of their applications are written in PL/I or RPG.
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 07:16:16 PM »

Hello,

Are you kidding?  GCC runs on nearly every platform.

http://developer.apple.com/tools/gcc_overview.html
That was my guess, but since I rarely use a Mac - I wasn't certain.  Wink

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2007, 07:18:24 PM »

Hello,

I work very heavily with two large US-based banks and can vouch for the fact that 50% of their applications are written in PL/I or RPG.
Well, what I said is the reason my school told me I have to learn Cobol. I don't get a choice as its a capstone course - so if I don't take it, I don't graduate.

It doesn't matter to me, I don't plan on working in banking or government - or any other business programming area. I'd rather take the Advanced C and Unix Programming course - but I need the degree, sooooo.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 07:19:09 PM by Athanasios » Logged

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2007, 07:27:23 PM »

Hello,

Does gcc include a Cobol compiler?

I think I have a Cobol compiler for DOS. Grin

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2007, 09:44:54 PM »

Hello,

The most basic C program - "Hello, World!"

Code:
#include <stdio.h>

main()
{

printf("Hello, World!\n");

}

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2007, 09:46:20 PM »

Hello,

That same program in C++

Code:
#include <iostream>

main()
{

std::cout<<"Hello, World!\n";

}

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2007, 11:59:35 PM »

Hello,
Everyone has their own preference - some say don't start off with an object-oriented language, others say to start with an object-oriented language.
I was actually required in school to start with an object-oriented language, or at least start with the C++ language within the context of OO programming principles, since my course of study was computer software engineering and not mere computer programming.  I wasn't introduced to C++ in my first term until we had actually studied OO application development principles for several weeks.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2007, 12:07:03 AM »

I was actually required in school to start with an object-oriented language, or at least start with the C++ language within the context of OO programming principles, since my course of study was computer software engineering and not mere computer programming.  I wasn't introduced to C++ in my first term until we had actually studied OO application development principles for several weeks.

Interesting, I think I took 3 classes in theoretical computer science before I ever wrote a line of code. LOL.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2007, 12:13:17 AM »

We spent a week going over basic programming concepts before I started on Pascal - in high school.

In C++, we dove right into coding - same with BASIC.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: