Author Topic: Wake Me Up on Boxing Day.  (Read 4407 times)

Offline ozgeorge

• I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
  • Hoplitarches
  • My plans for retirement.
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia
Wake Me Up on Boxing Day.
« on: December 17, 2007, 07:41:28 PM »
What is it about Christmas? Why is it so stressful?
I never have this trouble with Pascha, which is a bigger family and friends day. I think the difference is that at Pascha, I know each day what I'm supposed to be doing, we have the build up with the Services of Holy Week which guide me as to what I should be doing (e.g Order the lamb for Pascha on the Friday before Lazarus Saturday, Buy the Seafood for Palm Sunday on Lazarus Saturday, Dye the Eggs on Holy Thursday etc....)
I still haven't sent my cards, I still have some gifts to buy, I've got a size 40 Turkey and a leg of Ham arriving on Friday with not enough room in the fridge for both of them, my Cousins are coming for Christmas Day who are currently not speaking to each other, my nephews are teenagers now and impossible to buy gifts for.......
This year, I feel like being a grinch and cancelling Christmas and running away to my beach house for the day!
Does anyone else want to go to sleep on Christmas eve and not wake up until Boxing Day?
If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.

Offline ozgeorge

• Hoplitarches
Re: Wake Me Up on Boxing Day.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 07:53:13 PM »
I wonder if those of us who follow the Julian Menaion have this problem? I think it's a good argument to return to the Old Calendar!

Offline Νεκτάριος

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 08:02:39 PM »
What's boxing day? :P 

Offline ozgeorge

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 08:28:31 PM »
What's boxing day? :P 
What do you guys in the US call the day after Christmas day?

Offline Νεκτάριος

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 08:37:53 PM »

The day after Christmas.   ;D

Once in a blue moon, you can hear Boxing day mentioned here.  But, there are no real traditions connected with it like other parts of the Anglophone world. 

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 08:38:23 PM »
I never have this trouble with Pascha, which is a bigger family and friends day. I think the difference is that at Pascha, I know each day what I'm supposed to be doing, we have the build up with the Services of Holy Week which guide me as to what I should be doing (e.g Order the lamb for Pascha on the Friday before Lazarus Saturday, Buy the Seafood for Palm Sunday on Lazarus Saturday, Dye the Eggs on Holy Thursday etc....)
I still haven't sent my cards, I still have some gifts to buy, I've got a size 40 Turkey and a leg of Ham arriving on Friday with not enough room in the fridge for both of them, my Cousins are coming for Christmas Day who are currently not speaking to each other, my nephews are teenagers now and impossible to buy gifts for.......
This year, I feel like being a grinch and cancelling Christmas and running away to my beach house for the day!
Does anyone else want to go to sleep on Christmas eve and not wake up until Boxing Day?

Haha! Just be careful you don't slip into "Bah, humbug" mode, George.  :o

I haven't sent cards..... probably won't, at this late stage. Disaster struck last week when I came to put up the Christmas Tree; all my special and precious deocrations just couldn't be found; which necessitated a quick trip to KMart. I'm trying to be positive and have almost convinced myself that my traditional decorations are strewn throughout the many boxes we haven't unpacked; and as some of them are decades old and hold such special memories, I sincerely hope to find them when we find ourself at a more permanent addres.

And I have no idea how I'm going to fit a ham into my refrigerator!! Granddaughter numero uno was proving the most difficult in the present department, but I finally extracted a confession from her that she kind-of-thought/was-maybe-interested-in/really-would-like a particular dvd. Not quite sure why it was so difficult to obtain this information, but it was such an exhausting endeavour that I decided she can have the rest of her Christmas allowance slipped in as cash.

God be with you on this blessed time - and enjoy!!  ;D
I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)

Offline Ian Lazarus

• The Main Man!
  • OC.net guru
  • yIjah, Qey' 'oH!
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 09:14:11 PM »

What's up with Boxing Day?  Forgive my ignorance, but unless you are mentioning the sport that many dissapointed mothers and bargain hunting fathers will be participating in with the retail clerks, I don't get it.

I always called boxing day TWFT day, because of a rather garilous, shameless neighbour who seems to be all too accustomed to Texas cold.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 09:14:49 PM by Ian Lazarus »
"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9

Offline EofK

• Mrs. Y
  • Protokentarchos
  • lolcat addict
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 09:16:52 PM »

Stay Away from the Stores Day.   ;D

Seriously, though, I'm right with you on the sleeping through the Christmas stuff.  I'll be there for Nativity services, but leave me out of the commercial carnage. 
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams

Offline ozgeorge

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 09:26:46 PM »
What's up with Boxing Day?  Forgive my ignorance, but unless you are mentioning the sport that many dissapointed mothers and bargain hunting fathers will be participating in with the retail clerks, I don't get it.
Boxing Day is a public holiday in Australia and the stores are closed. Whereas Christmas Day is a Family day, Boxing Day is a day for friends to gather around the Christmas leftovers for a more informal gathering, usually at the beach or a picnic for lunch and then someone's house for dinner. Boxing Day is a much more relaxing day than Christmas. Interestingly, recent studies have shown that spending time with friends rather than family actually increases your lifespan: http://www.azcentral.com/health/wellness/articles/0628friendship-ON.html
And I'm not surprised!

I always called boxing day TWFT day, because of a rather garilous, shameless neighbour who seems to be all too accustomed to Texas cold.
I need some explanation. What does TWFT stand for and does it involve getting naked?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 09:27:31 PM by ozgeorge »

Offline Ian Lazarus

• The Main Man!
  • OC.net guru
  • yIjah, Qey' 'oH!
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 09:38:18 PM »
Boxing Day is a public holiday in Australia and the stores are closed. Whereas Christmas Day is a Family day, Boxing Day is a day for friends to gather around the Christmas leftovers for a more informal gathering, usually at the beach or a picnic for lunch and then someone's house for dinner. Boxing Day is a much more relaxing day than Christmas. Interestingly, recent studies have shown that spending time with friends rather than family actually increases your lifespan: http://www.azcentral.com/health/wellness/articles/0628friendship-ON.html
And I'm not surprised!

That sounds totaly righteous!  I think that's gotta be made into a holiday here in the states as of Midnight, the 26th of December.  Besides, It'd be cool just to sit around trading holiday horror stories with your friends.  I think that's why people who do live longer.  Cuz after a few days with relatives, you have to vent!

I need some explanation. What does TWFT stand for and does it involve getting naked?

Might as well be.  TWFT translates into Tighty-Whities and a Farmer Tan.  My 56 year old neighbour, almost every 26th, wakes up and in order to get out of the house (or maybe to get over his Drinking spree the nigth before.  I dunno.  I've never been brave enough to get near him) and wash the car or at least get the frost off.   He is in his TW's, black socks, slippers, and nothing else.  He has a really prevalent FT.  And he doesent care who sees.  He just waves at you.

I wish I could tell you that it's a fib.   But i'taint.

Offline ozgeorge

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 09:45:47 PM »
I just did a google image search for "tighty whities"...I wish you had warned me! :D

Offline Ian Lazarus

• The Main Man!
  • OC.net guru
  • yIjah, Qey' 'oH!
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 09:48:55 PM »
Some things you just have to figure out on your own! :angel:

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Professor Emeritus, CSA
  • Merarches
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 10:42:14 PM »
Boxing Day is a public holiday in Australia and the stores are closed.
Oh, you must have mistyped. Stores are never closed on holidays! ;) ;D
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens

Offline GiC

• Site Supporter
  • Merarches
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 02:45:44 AM »
If I recall properly, as the staff of the Aristocracy was required to work on Christmas Day for the benefit of the families they worked for, their day off and holiday was the day after Christmas; this would also be the day that the aristocracy would get rid of old things they no longer had need of and give them to their staff. From this, the holiday of 'boxing day' evolved, a 'working man's Christmas', if you will; whereas, in some circles, Christmas was, in truth, a holiday for the upper (and middle) classes.

Offline prodromas

• OC.net guru
  • Greek Orthodox
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 07:25:54 AM »
I hear you George my parents own a seafood retail shop and were are packed for Christmas orders and being Greek and all he loves the family getting involved even my brother who is in Melbourne (another city about an hour and a half away) comes in and helps serve and pack orders. Personally I wish I could just skip all these 10 hour working days for 3 weeks straight and just get into a nice gyro.   
The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again

Offline ozgeorge

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2007, 09:34:15 AM »
From this, the holiday of 'boxing day' evolved, a 'working man's Christmas', if you will; whereas, in some circles, Christmas was, in truth, a holiday for the upper (and middle) classes.
Well there you go GiC; I prefer Boxing Day to Christmas, so I'm not so bourgeois after all! :D

Personally I wish I could just skip all these 10 hour working days for 3 weeks straight and just get into a nice gyro.
:D LOL

Offline jayjay

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2007, 10:11:19 AM »
Aaah, Boxing Day!!! First day of the First test at the MCG!! Cricket that is !!
Expect the best, Prepare for the worst!

Offline ozgeorge

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 10:14:07 AM »
Aaah, Boxing Day!!! First day of the First test at the MCG!! Cricket that is !!
And the start of the Sydney to Hobart Yatch Race!

Offline Nyssa The Hobbit

• Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
  • Elder
    • Who is this Nyssa person, anyway?
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 05:37:02 PM »
I just did a google image search for "tighty whities"...I wish you had warned me! :D

I found the Urban Dictionary entry.  A couple of the responses really disturbed me, especially the one asking why men should wear underwear, either boxers or tighty whities.  Um--Anybody who's ever had to clean men's underwear knows a "good, solid reason"!
Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.

Offline EofK

• Mrs. Y
  • Protokentarchos
  • lolcat addict
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007, 05:42:03 PM »
^ROFL!!   :laugh:
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams

Offline Órëlaurëa

• High Elder
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2007, 05:11:03 PM »
Heh! This year I have to work this Saturday, and as such get the 24th, 25th, and 26th off. I wonder what I'm going to do with all of that time?  :o
Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm

Offline prodromas

• OC.net guru
  • Greek Orthodox
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2007, 01:11:02 AM »
at least you have the 24th off :) i just have boxing day and xmas off. ah the awesomness  of greek parents
The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2007, 01:27:35 AM »
i just have boxing day and xmas off. ah the awesomness  of greek parents
Brother, I once made the innocent mistake of putting an 'x' where 'Christ' belongs.  I was kindly reminded by my priest and now I'd like to kindly pass it on to you.  :)
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2007, 01:34:56 AM »
Brother, I once made the innocent mistake of putting an 'x' where 'Christ' belongs.  I was kindly reminded by my priest and now I'd like to kindly pass it on to you.  :)
Actually, that's a problem only for those languages (such as English) where the 'x' doesn't particularly mean anything.  In Greek, however, the 'X' (think 'IC XC, NIKA' or 'ΙΧΘΥΕ') really means 'Christ', so 'Xmas' and 'Christmas' in fact have the same Christian meaning.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 01:38:58 AM by PeterTheAleut »
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline FrChris

• The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
  • Site Supporter
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2007, 11:30:25 AM »
^^ Once again, more ammunition for GiC:

"If everyone would just start learning Greek, then we wouldn't be having this discussion of which language to use in Church!"
"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus

Offline Ian Lazarus

• The Main Man!
  • OC.net guru
  • yIjah, Qey' 'oH!
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2007, 03:57:44 PM »
^
BOO!