OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 05:29:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting item I read  (Read 7677 times) Average Rating: 0
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« on: December 12, 2007, 08:07:13 PM »

On another thread someone mentioned the "Death to the World" zine and I looked at the site.
http://www.deathtotheworld.com/index2.html

In their sale section they have T-shirts that depict various church fathers,and such.
http://www.deathtotheworld.com/store.html

This is what one of the descriptions says;

Inscriptions are often written on the foreheads of the skulls of Monks in order to identify them. This skull records the death of Father Gregentios in 1979. Crosses are also drawn on the forehead with the Greek letters "ICXC NIKA" which mean Jesus Christ Conquers. By a Miracle of God, a Cross does not usually have to be drawn on the skulls of Priests because it can be found indented already in the bone of the skull; in the same place they were annointed with oil during their ordination. 

That is so COOL!

Does anyone know more about this?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 08:07:31 PM by Quinault » Logged
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 08:40:00 PM »

Quinault:

I am glad your here on this site.

I do not know who they are affiliated with (jurisdiction) or who's blessing they have received. Maybe I did not search enough on the site, but that is all I know.

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 08:49:06 PM »

That is so COOL!

Does anyone know more about this?

I know that it strikes me as being weird, since at least in the East Slavic tradition priests are not annointed with oil at their ordination.  This is done in the Latin rite, for sure.  Does anyone know if the Greeks or Serbs do this at a priestly ordination?

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 09:58:53 PM »

It's run by Monks John and Damascene and and some laymen (and women) and I believe they're affiliated with St. Herman's Brotherhood.  You can read more here.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

"Yes, you are a white supremacist, ..."  ~Iconodule
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 11:24:57 PM »

Quinault:

I am glad your here on this site.

Thank you for the warm welcome.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 08:38:15 AM »

Because departed Orthodox Christians can only be buried, there is a shortage of burial space in places such as Greece where Orthodoxy has been established for nearly 2000 years. The custom has developed that on the tenth anniversary of someone's death, the bones are exhumed by their family or monastic community while memorial prayers are offered by a priest. They then wash the bones and place them in an ossuary. Outside monasteries, an ossuary is an individual compartment within a wall in the cemetary in which the bones are placed and is sealed with a plaque identifying the person whose remains they are. In monasteries, the ossuary is a large room in which all the bones are kept together and are identified by writing the name of the person on the skull. I visited two ossuaries on Mount Athos and each skull had a Cross with the monk's name and year of death. Sometimes, the monk's profession was written as well (eg "Doctor"). A skull which is yellow in colour is taken to be a sign of particular sanctity.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 03:34:00 PM »

Because departed Orthodox Christians can only be buried, there is a shortage of burial space in places such as Greece where Orthodoxy has been established for nearly 2000 years. The custom has developed that on the tenth anniversary of someone's death, the bones are exhumed by their family or monastic community while memorial prayers are offered by a priest. They then wash the bones and place them in an ossuary. Outside monasteries, an ossuary is an individual compartment within a wall in the cemetary in which the bones are placed and is sealed with a plaque identifying the person whose remains they are. In monasteries, the ossuary is a large room in which all the bones are kept together and are identified by writing the name of the person on the skull. I visited two ossuaries on Mount Athos and each skull had a Cross with the monk's name and year of death. Sometimes, the monk's profession was written as well (eg "Doctor"). A skull which is yellow in colour is taken to be a sign of particular sanctity.
Wow, thanks for that, OG.  Very interesting. 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

"Yes, you are a white supremacist, ..."  ~Iconodule
Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 04:12:41 PM »

Why is the shortage of burial places due to the 2000 years of the Church?

It seems to me that Greece is very very old anyway and as such it would seem that with or without the church the space available may be limited.

The removal of the bones from graves, washing them and ritually re-interring them strikes me as rather extreme; shocking even.

This may only be a dose of 'culture shock' on my part.

However.....

I hope that the pratice of moving the bones and washing them is not (albiet if so; innocently) leaning slightly off the edge so to speak. We all have a tendency to go a little overboard for our loved ones. There are various cultures in Europe and elsewhere that worship the dead with similar pratice.

I do not believe that the Greeks are following pagan rituals but I am concerned that the people who pass on should stay buried. It also seems that while the removal may truely be necessary it is a little hard to beleive that it is because of deep rooted Christianity. Ethiopia has been Christian about as long and is not short of space to this extreme. Maybe we have more space?

I would like to know more about this situation.

If someone may offer....

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 04:17:09 PM by Amdetsion » Logged

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 04:32:42 PM »

Dn. Amde,

Greece, for the most part, is very rugged, mountainous terrain.  There's not a whole lot of ground to use for burial.  Prior to Christianity, it wasn't a problem since you could just cremate the dead, but with the Church's teachings against that, other solutions have to be devised.  Without the practice George described, the Greeks would very likely be forced to bury the newly dead in graves together with older bodies, simply for lack of room.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 04:33:57 PM »

Some of it would have to do with climate. Here in the Pacific NW, you bury anything and it is gone very quickly. Other climates are more prone to dry things out and preserve them. Greece is more of a penisula and it is pretty densely populated. Ethiopia is more "landlocked." So people can go to surrounding areas if need be in order to bury remains. In the peninsula portain of Greece they can't do that.

Greece is also much smaller than Ethiopia.

Ethiopia;
426,371 sq mi  
75,067,000-population

Greece;
50,944 sq mi
11,170,957-population

« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 04:35:42 PM by Quinault » Logged
Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 06:25:34 PM »

Thanks.

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
Nyssa The Hobbit
Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian as of 1/10/09

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 06:27:41 PM »

From what I understand, the Jews also had a similar practice around the time of Christ.  So it's not specifically a pagan practice.

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 06:52:25 PM »

Has Anyone heard about the Bone Church in Kunta Hora, Czech Republic?

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 07:40:59 PM »

Has Anyone heard about the Bone Church in Kunta Hora, Czech Republic?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedlec_Ossuary

Sorry, you beat me to modify.

The article doesn't explain this place.  I don't get how this passes Latin canon law, let alone Christian ethics.

The Sedlec Ossuary (Czech: kostnice Sedlec) is a small Roman Catholic chapel, located beneath the Cemetery Church of All Saints (Czech: Hřbitovní kostel Všech Svatých) in Sedlec, a suburb of Kutná Hora in the Czech Republic. The ossuary contains approximately 40,000 human skeletons which have been artistically arranged to form decorations and furnishings for the chapel.

Post modified to fit OC.net standards...some introductory text is needed when posting a link.

+Fr Chris
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 08:07:35 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Alexius

Faith: Eastern Catholic

Baptism of Poland

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 01:50:18 PM »

That is so creepy...Shocked

Halloween adventures next year in Czech Republic anyone? Roll Eyes

"You cannot reason with those who do not..."