OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 21, 2014, 06:37:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How much do you sleep at night?  (Read 2719 times) Average Rating: 0
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« on: June 05, 2003, 12:47:52 PM »

I hear of the benefits of a good night's sleep all the time. Then there are problems with oversleeping as the fathers point out and they say you should not sleep very much. I would like to ask you all, how much sleep is optimal for the average Orthodox Christian (lay, non-monastic)? Should more sleep than usual be given up? I hope this makes sense. I need some sleep Wink.

Matt
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2003, 12:53:15 PM »

I don't have the references handy, but I recall several of the Fathers saying that one should not be so severe that he damages his own health.

The amount of sleep one needs for optimum health varies from individual to individual but is, I think, around 8 hours a night for adults.

I usually get about 5 or 6 a night during the work week and more on the weekends.

If all one does is lay around in the bed, that is sloth.

But I think it is okay to sleep as much as you need and even to indulge oneself occasionally when especially fatigued.

Just my humble opinion.

I know I feel much better and think more clearly when rested. I tend to get depressed and irritable when I don't get enough sleep.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2003, 12:54:25 PM by Linus7 » Logged

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2003, 02:02:47 PM »

I usually sleep about 7 hours each night. I am a bit of a night owl. And since I work for myself, I don't have to get up at any set time.

What I would like to do is go to sleep around 11:00 and get up around 6:00 and do prayers, but I am such a worthless, pathetic, and sinful child of God, that I can't seem to do it.  Sad
« Last Edit: June 05, 2003, 02:05:06 PM by TomS » Logged
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2003, 02:10:54 PM »

I don't have the references handy, but I recall several of the Fathers saying that one should not be so severe that he damages his own health.

The amount of sleep one needs for optimum health varies from individual to individual but is, I think, around 8 hours a night for adults.

I usually get about 5 or 6 a night during the work week and more on the weekends.

If all one does is lay around in the bed, that is sloth.

But I think it is okay to sleep as much as you need and even to indulge oneself occasionally when especially fatigued.

Just my humble opinion.

I know I feel much better and think more clearly when rested. I tend to get depressed and irritable when I don't get enough sleep.

Ditto.  and Ditto towards TomS.  If I could consistently get 7 during the week AND prayers in at night, that would be an accomplishment.
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2003, 06:53:14 PM »

7 sounds good to me, too, with prayers and a "vigil." I think I heard of a study that says less sleep is better, too. But who knows. BTW, has anyone read The Theology of Illness by Jean-Claude Larchet (SVS)? I picked it up today.

Matt
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Do not be afraid, Zechariah..."

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2003, 09:38:07 PM »

Ever since starting my job this past week, I've gotten about seven hours of sleep per night.  I need to be up by 6.45am, so that should give you an idea of when I turn in.  Surprisingly, I'm not as tired as I thought I would be after a few days of this.  In college, the amount of sleep I got depended on what day it was and what assignments I needed to finish: it could be as little as four hours, or as many as ten.  I want to train myself so that I can get by on less sleep, but every time I try that, I end in dismal failure.  I wanted to be able to wake up early so I could pray, since early morning on an American campus is probably the best time to pray (no one's up!).  I've always had trouble waking up early to pray...I'm lucky these days if I wake up on time so I can get my stuff going and get to work.  I need to figure out a way to wake up early so I can pray that wouldn't require me to go to sleep at 8pm...

The New World Order (1943 to present):

Jesuit Provincial > Jesuit Order > Jesuit Superior > Mor < Roman Pontiff < Illuminati Families < Holy See < UN
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2003, 09:54:13 PM »

I usually go to sleep about 1am and then wake up between 8 or 9 these days. I could use at least 2 more hours a day. Recently they showed that people who get less than 7 hours of sleep are more likely to have heart attacks at a younger age. Interestingly, the kings of this worls, the top CEOs tend to average 2-5 hours a night. Ouch!

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2003, 09:27:53 AM »

I want to train myself so that I can get by on less sleep, but every time I try that, I end in dismal failure.  I wanted to be able to wake up early so I could pray, since early morning on an American campus is probably the best time to pray (no one's up!).  I've always had trouble waking up early to pray...I'm lucky these days if I wake up on time so I can get my stuff going and get to work.  I need to figure out a way to wake up early so I can pray that wouldn't require me to go to sleep at 8pm...

It's comforting to know that I am not the Lone Ranger!

I would like to wake up early and pray, too. My Jordanville Prayerbook is there waiting, but I can never seem to get up off my duff and use it. I get up at the last minute and manage a hurried prayer before rushing off to work.

Part of my problem is that I am not naturally an early morning person. I tend to really wake up in the afternoon (even after having been physically awake for hours) and be at my peak in the evening. I can stay up late into the night and wee hours of the morning with no trouble at all.

It's too bad the rest of the world is on a different clock!

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2003, 10:15:51 AM »

Lucien,

For people like you, there is the Morning and Evening prayers according to the Jordanville Prayer book so you can do your prayers on the way to work if need be.

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Do not be afraid, Zechariah..."

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2003, 05:23:08 PM »

Is that a CD?  If so, how does one pray with a CD, exactly?  I'd be open to that sort of thing, I just don't know how I personally would be able to pull it off...I'd probably just "listen", and that's it.

The New World Order (1943 to present):

Jesuit Provincial > Jesuit Order > Jesuit Superior > Mor < Roman Pontiff < Illuminati Families < Holy See < UN
Nigula Qian Zishi
OC.net guru

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2003, 06:04:55 PM »

I know it is on tape, but probably CD too. If one knows one's prayers, one can chant along quite easily I have found.

TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2003, 06:29:18 PM »

Lucien,

For people like you, there is the Morning and Evening prayers according to the Jordanville Prayer book so you can do your prayers on the way to work if need be.

There is also a cassette of Communion prayers that are good for a long (or short) drive.

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2003, 09:42:02 PM »

Nik -

Good suggestion. Where is that tape available?

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: