OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 07:14:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Building New Computer  (Read 11826 times) Average Rating: 0
Athanasios
Latin Rite Catholic faithful to the Holy Father and the Magisterium
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Church Diocese of Youngstown

The Divine Mercy

« on: December 09, 2007, 07:30:08 PM »

Hello,

I am looking at building a new computer. The purpose of this thread is that it has been a little while since I have shopped for and priced components, and things change (rapidly in the computer business). So I am looking for product reviews and recommendations. I have a basic idea of the brands I am going to use (i.e., AMD, ASUS, Maxtor, etc.) but the latest features and how well they are implemented is something I would like to know.

So the first question is - I am looking to buy the components online. Years ago, there was a local company that I bought from, but they have since gone out of business and there isn't another local company that sells these components (at least one that I trust). So, as far as the online suppliers - what would you recommend. I have seen the CompGeeks site and have heard that Newegg is good - but I don't have personal experience of these companies. Are they reputable and have good deals?

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

Pray that we may be one, as Christ and His Father are one. (John 17:20ff)

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 08:11:53 PM »

Mr. Y and I have had good experiences with Newegg.  They have good quality components at reasonable prices.  I'll let Mr. Y give you more details; he's the hardware expert in the family.  Smiley

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 08:23:47 PM »

http://www.pricewatch.com/ will give you the street price of any components you are looking into; as it's essentially a directory of sites that ranks them by current prices on a given object I can't vouch for the quality of the individual companies. But, last time I built a computer I used the site and went with the cheapest companies and never had any problems.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
wynd
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

Transfiguration

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 03:38:32 AM »

Seconding the Newegg recommendation. I bought all my parts for my computer from them when I built it. Everything was reasonably priced and arrived quickly.
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 02:18:34 PM »

Hello,

Yeah, the impression I've gotten here and elsewhere is that Newegg is the place to go. So, that's where I'll probably end up buy most of the stuff.

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 06:19:05 PM »

Hello,

What do you know about the various northbridge chipsets and onboard video. I have heard the AMD 690G and nVidia 7000 series are both excellent. Do you have any experience or advice with these or others?

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 09:27:00 PM »

I personally use the nVidia 8600 GTS. It's the way to go if you're looking to get in on DX10 without spending a fortune. I recommend EVGA; I've had good luck with them. This one's on sale at NewEgg now, $180.

7000 series is great, but it'll only do DX9. So last year.

EDIT: Whoops, wrong page linked.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 09:28:38 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 09:39:56 PM »

Hello,

I personally use the nVidia 8600 GTS. It's the way to go if you're looking to get in on DX10 without spending a fortune. I recommend EVGA; I've had good luck with them. This one's on sale at NewEgg now, $180.

7000 series is great, but it'll only do DX9. So last year.

EDIT: Whoops, wrong page linked.
Thanks for the information, but I'm not really looking for the latest and greatest for video. I don't do gaming so I don't need DX10 (I don't even run Windows!) and all I want is something fairly decent (most likely onboard) to get the job done (some image manipulation, I doubt I'll even do video editing).

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 09:40:41 PM »

Newegg great...
Me likey.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 10:24:05 PM »

Hello,
Thanks for the information, but I'm not really looking for the latest and greatest for video. I don't do gaming so I don't need DX10 (I don't even run Windows!) and all I want is something fairly decent (most likely onboard) to get the job done (some image manipulation, I doubt I'll even do video editing).
Ah, well, in that case, and I cannot stress this highly enough, avoid Intel Integrated GMA. ATI Radion X1250 integrated or nVidia GForce 6 integrated are both capable graphics processors, and they won't tie up a PCI slot.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 10:25:35 PM »

Hello,

avoid Intel Integrated GMA.

I was thinking the same thing.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 10:28:14 PM »

Hello,

I am pretty sure that I want to go with an ASUS board with an AM2 socket. I'm still comparing the chipsets, though.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 10:32:35 PM »

I used to use tigerdirect.com

Not sure if they're as good as they used to.  Haven't built a computer in like 6 years.  Back then, you can have them send their catalog.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 10:33:29 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 11:01:07 PM »

Hello,

I am pretty sure that I want to go with an ASUS board with an AM2 socket. I'm still comparing the chipsets, though.
This one comes with a recommendation by a Linux Ubuntu user, so if you're wanting to avoid MS, it may be an option. Price is good, too, and it has onboard nVidia 7050, a quite decent video processor that should serve your needs.

I can't say for sure how good it is, though, as I don't have personal experience with Linux, and NewEgg only has 8 reviews, which seem to have mixed results.

Hope that helps.

Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2007, 11:09:06 PM »

Hello,

This one comes with a recommendation by a Linux Ubuntu user, so if you're wanting to avoid MS, it may be an option. Price is good, too, and it has onboard nVidia 7050, a quite decent video processor that should serve your needs.

I can't say for sure how good it is, though, as I don't have personal experience with Linux, and NewEgg only has 8 reviews, which seem to have mixed results.

Hope that helps.

Seems decent enough, but not what I would buy. It's mATX, which I'm not a big fan of. It also has no Firewire (not a HUGE deal, but an inconvenience) and no parallel (that's a BIG deal for me).

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2007, 11:24:16 PM »

Hello,

Are the nVidia 500 series chipsets still viable and a good buy?

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2007, 11:38:46 PM »

Hello,

I should note that I'll be using this system for audio recording and manipulation.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007, 09:29:09 AM »

Hello,

Are the nVidia 500 series chipsets still viable and a good buy?
I had one with my Win XP SP2, and it worked very well. When I up-(or down-)graded to Vista, it stopped working.

admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2007, 11:08:38 AM »

I bought half of my components from www.tigerdirect.com They actually undercut newegg on memory and lcd monitor and video card for my compy. And they ship very fast, I got my components in 2 days with standard shipping!

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2007, 12:47:04 PM »

Helo,

When I up-(or down-)graded to Vista, it stopped working.

Ha! When you upgrade to Vista - EVERYTHING stops working!  laugh

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2007, 09:41:30 PM »

Hello,

I am probably looking at getting this motherboard:

ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard

Now I am looking at the processors. I am definitely going AMD AM2 socket (if the motherboard selection didn't give it away Cheesy). Right now I am debating between the Windsor and Brisbane cores (probably around the 5200+ range).

Anyone have any experience with these two cores?

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2007, 01:57:11 AM »

Well,

I'm not sure what the update is today, but I do recall that Intel Pentium Processors are much better than AMD Processors.  So I tended to find motherboards with those.  Now, I understand there's a whole dual processor craze right now, so I'm not up to date on that one.  I also heard Zeon is better than Pentium.  But judging by the fact that the internet is very advanced where we use a lot of graphics and video, I would think Pentium is the better processor to use.  At least that's what I remember PC World saying a couple of years ago.

God bless.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 01:57:53 AM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2007, 11:51:10 AM »

I agree with minasoliman, I would wait for the release of the Penryn Core 2's.  For now, I would stay away from AMD until we see how their new Fusion processors turn out.  If you don't want something cutting edge though, I have a 5600+ on one of my desktops, and I have no complaints.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2007, 01:28:55 PM »

Hello,

Well,

I'm not sure what the update is today, but I do recall that Intel Pentium Processors are much better than AMD Processors.  So I tended to find motherboards with those.  Now, I understand there's a whole dual processor craze right now, so I'm not up to date on that one.  I also heard Zeon is better than Pentium.  But judging by the fact that the internet is very advanced where we use a lot of graphics and video, I would think Pentium is the better processor to use.  At least that's what I remember PC World saying a couple of years ago.

God bless.
I agree with minasoliman, I would wait for the release of the Penryn Core 2's.  For now, I would stay away from AMD until we see how their new Fusion processors turn out.  If you don't want something cutting edge though, I have a 5600+ on one of my desktops, and I have no complaints.

For me - I am an AMD man. I just think that the quality of AMD is better than that of Intel.

It might be nice to get a cutting edge processor - and if you want to buy me one I would gratefully accept. Grin

For my budget, I am looking at the AMD 5000+ - 5600+ range (~>$125).

From what I have been seeing, the Brisbane core is better than the Windsor core. The Brisbane runs on less power, thus is cooler, thus is more stable and longer lasting. It does appear that the Brisbane is slightly slower than the Windsor (~100 MHz), but it is easily made up for in overclocking (if I were so inclined to overclock).

I don't think that the 5000+ comes with a heatsink/fan (pretty dumb if you ask me), but the 5200+ does. The 5000+ is also more expensive (why, I don't know). Is there a 5600+ Brisbane out yet?

Here are the specs for the 5200+ Brisbane:

Model
  Brand    AMD
  Processors Type    Desktop
  Series    Athlon 64 X2
  Model    ADO5200DOBOX

CPU Socket Type
  CPU Socket Type    Socket AM2

Tech Spec
  Core    Brisbane
  Multi-Core    Dual-Core
  Name    Athlon 64 X2 5200+
  Operating Frequency    2.7GHz
  HT    2000MHz
  L1 Cache    128KB+128KB
  L2 Cache    2 x 512KB
  Manufacturing Tech    65 nm
  64 bit Support    Yes
  Hyper-Transport Support    Yes
  Virtualization Technology Support    Yes
  Multimedia Instruction    MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, 3DNOW! Professional
  Voltage    1.325/1.35/1.375V
  Thermal Power    65W
  Cooling Device    Heatsink and Fan included

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2007, 02:53:24 PM »

Nope, no 5600+ on the 65nm Brisbane.  It only goes up 5200+ while the Windsor hits 6400+.

Yup, 100Mhz is really nothing and you could easily overclock it to get it up there.  With aftermarket fans/heatsinks, you can get a good deal out of the processor.

What is the RAM like that you will be getting?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 02:53:33 PM by Friul » Logged

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2007, 06:14:36 PM »

Hello,

Yup, 100Mhz is really nothing and you could easily overclock it to get it up there.  With aftermarket fans/heatsinks, you can get a good deal out of the processor.

I have read that others can overclock the 5200+ to 3.0 - 3.1 GHz.

What is the RAM like that you will be getting?

I haven't really looked into it that much yet - but probably Kingston. The motherboard is configured for PC5300. I would like to have at least 1GB of RAM - more if I can afford it.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2007, 06:22:26 PM »

Hello,

I have read that others can overclock the 5200+ to 3.0 - 3.1 GHz.

Yup, you should be able to do that fairly safely.  I have my 5600+ running at 3 Ghz and have had no stability issues or anything.

I haven't really looked into it that much yet - but probably Kingston. The motherboard is configured for PC5300. I would like to have at least 1GB of RAM - more if I can afford it.

Which MB, the one you mentioned above?  I thought it listed PC2-6400?

Just be sure to watch the timings on the RAM.  Good DDR2 should be 4-4-4-12.

Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2007, 06:29:46 PM »

Hello,

Yup, you should be able to do that fairly safely.  I have my 5600+ running at 3 Ghz and have had no stability issues or anything.

Just to note - even though I can, I doubt I will overclock the processor to start out.

Which MB, the one you mentioned above?  I thought it listed PC2-6400?

Just be sure to watch the timings on the RAM.  Good DDR2 should be 4-4-4-12.
You're right! It is the higher RAM. I don't know why I thought it was the other?

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2007, 02:11:30 PM »

Hello,

I think that some of you guys have experience in music recording. I'll be recording Sacred Music, either myself or a choir, recording into a mixer/pre-mic and into the computer (probably via a good sound card), that I'll run through a program like Audacity or the like to clean up and put on CD. My question is what sort of computing power is needed to produce a quality CD (maybe not like a major record label, but one I could proudly distribute or sell)? Looking at the price of the components going up and up, I'd hate to have to spend over $2000 when I could get away with something much, much cheaper. So what sort of computing power do I need (even if it would take a little longer to compute)?

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2007, 02:17:56 PM »

Hello,

Looking at the price of the components going up and up, I'd hate to have to spend over $2000 when I could get away with something much, much cheaper. So what sort of computing power do I need (even if it would take a little longer to compute)?

To note, I am starting to look at some of the barebones computers at newegg. I can easily make them work for all I need, but am uncertain if they would work with music recording and manipulation (I would get a quality sound card still, I'm looking at M-Audio).
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 02:18:55 PM by Athanasios » Logged

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2007, 11:20:39 PM »

Hello,

How about the series 4 nVidia chipsets? Are they still competitive and up to the challenge of audio manipulation? I'm not joking, looking at the mounting costs, I need to bring down the price of this system!

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2007, 11:49:52 PM »

The nVidia nForce 4 chipset performed a good deal better than the ATI 200 series chipset in benchmarks, so I think it would be a good buy.

Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2007, 01:29:53 PM »

Hello,

Thanks Friul. I'm going to have my cousin (well, not by blood - he married my cousin - but we're all family!) price me both with the series 4 (here) and series 5 (here) chipsets.

I'm also having him price several CPU's - all AMD, AM2 socket, Brisbane core processors. I'm looking at the 4800+ through 5600+ processors, plus one I just saw that AMD came out with this past year that uses less power and thus runs cooler - here.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2007, 01:32:31 PM »

Hello,

The next question in my mind is a video card (the motherboards don't come with on-board video Angry). I definitely want it to be a nVidia chipset - but what manufacturer's do you recommend? Note: I am not going to be doing intensive graphics work or games (the most intensive graphics I'll do is in Gimp and Inkscape - and that isn't much).

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2007, 02:04:55 PM »

The Sparkle GeForce 8600 GTS is a nice card is 256MB is okay for you.  Sparkle Computers in general puts out some nice cards, so does MSI put they tend to get expensive.

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2007, 02:31:33 PM »

It's very nice (I have it myself), but it's really only necessary if you want to use DX10. At $250 (when I bought mine last spring), it's a little pricey for light work.

I used a BFG GeForce 5200 prior to my 8600, and it worked wonderfully. No cell shading, but it could run DX9 (the format for the vast majority of recent Windows-based programs). And really, you only need cell shading if you're playing Halo.

Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2007, 02:38:10 PM »

It's very nice (I have it myself), but it's really only necessary if you want to use DX10. At $250 (when I bought mine last spring), it's a little pricey for light work.

I think it is around 160$ or less now.  It is so disheartening when you slurge for something and then, it drops so much fairly quickly.   Tongue  Right after I bought an 8800, it dropped like 70$.

Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2007, 02:48:29 PM »

Hello,

$160!!!!  Shocked

I'm looking sub-$50!

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2007, 03:11:22 PM »

Like I said, the only reason to have an 8000 series right now is for gaming.

Try this card, an EVGA GeForce 6200. It has 256MB of GDDR2 video memory, runs on a PCI slot (which your motherboard should have plenty of), and it's only $50. They also make an AGP slot version (8x faster), but most motherboards these days have PCI Express instead.

Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2007, 03:22:47 PM »

The KFA2 GeForce 7200 GS Video Card 256MB DDR2 PCI-e should be fine for you.  It usually runs from around 30-40$.

EDIT:  Not newegg, but click here.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 03:23:56 PM by Friul » Logged

Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2007, 03:24:18 PM »

Hello,

Like I said, the only reason to have an 8000 series right now is for gaming.

Try this card, an EVGA GeForce 6200. It has 256MB of GDDR2 video memory, runs on a PCI slot (which your motherboard should have plenty of), and it's only $50. They also make an AGP slot version (8x faster), but most motherboards these days have PCI Express instead.

Neither of the two motherboards I'm looking at have an AGP slot. I am hopeful to save the PCI-X slot for an audio card, if possible.

What would be the advantages of 256MB of memory? I don't do any gaming at all, and I don't do video editing. I only manipulate images (i.e., Gimp, Inkscape). On my current system, I have a nVidia GeForce 7350 LE - 128MB that works well enough for my needs (sorry can't cannabalize it). If the card is made by someone else, HP didn't tell me when I bought the computer Tongue.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2007, 03:59:44 PM »

Hello,

$160!!!!  Shocked

I'm looking sub-$50!

WOW, I haven't purchased a video card for under $500 in years. Wink

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2007, 04:56:23 PM »

Neither of the two motherboards I'm looking at have an AGP slot. I am hopeful to save the PCI-X slot for an audio card, if possible.
I expected as much. The 6200 runs on PCI 1x, not PCI-X 16x. One of its big advantages, IMO.

What would be the advantages of 256MB of memory? I don't do any gaming at all, and I don't do video editing. I only manipulate images (i.e., Gimp, Inkscape).
Any RAM used to produce graphics of any kind (be they high framerate in Half-Life 2 or smileys on OCnet Smiley) comes from the card first. If the system needs more RAM than your card can provide, it pulls from general RAM. This is okay most of the time, unless the system runs out of general RAM--then you experience lag, which is mildly irritating usually; if it's bad enough, however, it can crash your system.

So how much video RAM you need depends on how you use the computer. For memory-hogging Vista, I'd say 256MB VRAM is minimum. Linux, however, is much more efficient, and you therefore might get away with 128MB still. If it were possible to cannibalize the old computer, the card you have it probably still good. Since you still need the video card in the old one, though, look for more efficient RAM rather than larger capacity. Video RAM is analogous to general RAM; GDDR2 is more efficient than GDDR, just like DDR2 general RAM is more efficient than DDR.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 04:59:43 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2007, 05:13:30 PM »

Hello,

I expected as much. The 6200 runs on PCI 1x, not PCI-X 16x. One of its big advantages, IMO.

Is EVGA a good company?

I'm sorry for all the questions - it's been years since I've built a system (other than order one from a company) and I'm trying to play catch up with all the technology and changes in companies (i.e., I remember when ATI was the major board manufacturer and not just a chipset maker - which as been bought up by AMD?? - so confusing Huh) .

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2007, 05:14:46 PM »

Hello,

So how much video RAM you need depends on how you use the computer. For memory-hogging Vista, I'd say 256MB VRAM is minimum. Linux, however, is much more efficient, and you therefore might get away with 128MB still.

Vista -  Shocked - surely ye jest!

This new system will dual boot Slackware and NetBSD.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2007, 05:31:27 PM »

Hello,

Is EVGA a good company?

I'm sorry for all the questions - it's been years since I've built a system (other than order one from a company) and I'm trying to play catch up with all the technology and changes in companies (i.e., I remember when ATI was the major board manufacturer and not just a chipset maker - which as been bought up by AMD?? - so confusing Huh) .

Yup, EVGA is a good company.  They have a really good limited lifetime warrenty on their cards too.

Off topic, but the ATI/AMD merger should be interesting.  They have future plans to integrate ATI GPUs on AMD processor dies.

Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2007, 06:23:39 PM »

Hello,

Yup, EVGA is a good company.  They have a really good limited lifetime warrenty on their cards too.

And do they work well in *nix environments? I know that the nVidia chip should (and that should be all that matters), but sometimes the actual manufacturers can screw that up.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2007, 06:27:03 PM »

Hello,

Now I have questions on Hard Drives. I have always used Maxtor and have had good luck with them (even when Western Digital gave me grief) - but I can't seem to see them too readily anymore. Are they still a major company anymore?

For a hard drive - I need it to be quiet! Other considerations: 7200 RPM, SATA, fast throughput, low power usage/heat output, as big as can be for under $100.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2007, 07:20:23 PM »

Hello,

Looking at the reviews, many are citing that this card runs hot! It has passive cooling (that means it's silent - a plus in my book), so there is no fan to help cooling. I also noticed that most of those people are doing 3D and gaming (why it seems that 95% of equipment and information is aimed toward gamers is beyond me - there are other people, like me Grin). So do you think this would be too hot of a card - I want to keep the temp below 45/40C - or lower - if possible (especially if I go with the 45W CPU which is claimed to run at 39C at peak) - and hopefully without a noisy fan.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2007, 01:16:07 PM »

Hello,

Now I have questions on Hard Drives. I have always used Maxtor and have had good luck with them (even when Western Digital gave me grief) - but I can't seem to see them too readily anymore. Are they still a major company anymore?

For a hard drive - I need it to be quiet! Other considerations: 7200 RPM, SATA, fast throughput, low power usage/heat output, as big as can be for under $100.

Also for a CD/DVD Drive. I am unfamiliar with who makes good drives these days. It needs to be a burning drive (both CD and DVD in all formats) that is affordable and solid.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2007, 10:04:35 PM »

Hello,

Well, seeing how no one has responded in the past few days, I can only take it to mean one of three things:

1) no one has an opinion on CD/DVD drives and Hard Drives
2) everyone is sick of me and this thread
3) everyone is at a party I wasn't invited to.

Tongue

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2007, 10:07:47 PM »

Hello,

Motherboard

CPU

RAM

Video Card

Sound Card

Hard Drive

CD/DVD Drive

Case

Monitor

Keyboard/Mouse

Speakers

Printer (already have)

DSL Modem (already have)

UPS? (don't know if I'll get)

Am I forgetting anything?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 10:08:05 PM by Athanasios » Logged

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2007, 10:21:40 PM »

LoL!

I have a Western Digital Caviar drive and it hasn't given me any issues, plus it is nice and quiet and fast.  For CD/DVD drives, I usually only use LiteOn.  I currently have this one:  Here

Ummm, power supply?  Or is one coming with the case?

« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 10:22:39 PM by Friul » Logged

Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2007, 10:46:21 PM »

Hello,

Why do you prefer LiteOn?

Yes, I would assume the power supply would come with the case (for the kind of prices some of those cases go for - it better! Grin)

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2007, 10:58:36 PM »

Hello,

For CD/DVD drives, I usually only use LiteOn.  I currently have this one:  Here

It does look like a good drive! Is THIS the SATA version of that drive?

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2007, 11:00:21 PM »

Hello,

I have a Western Digital Caviar drive and it hasn't given me any issues, plus it is nice and quiet and fast.

I had a Western Digital drive once that bit the dust quite rapidly and ever since then, I haven't used one - I've almost been afraid to. But, that was many moons ago!

Do you have any experience with Seagates?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 11:00:47 PM by Athanasios » Logged

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2007, 11:54:33 PM »

LiteOn tends to do well in reviews and such, but it is one of the only drives I have used for a while and they have let to fail me.

Yup, that looks like the same drive, just SATA.   Smiley

I have used Western Digital drives for a while and have no issues with them.  Even a WD and Maxtor drives in a small file server, and it was fine.

I have a Seagate in a laptop, but have never used them for a desktop.  In my laptop though, it has worked great.

Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2007, 05:32:12 PM »

Hello,

I have just learned that Maxtor was bought out by Seagate a year or two ago and that Seagate is using Maxtor to sell their value line.

Have I been out of the loop!  Cheesy

I'm getting prices for both the Western Digital and Seagate (7200 RPM - SATA - 160/250/320/500GB), but I'll probably lean towards Seagate if the price is comparable.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 05:33:46 PM by Athanasios » Logged

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2007, 05:36:06 PM »

Hello,

LiteOn tends to do well in reviews and such, but it is one of the only drives I have used for a while and they have let to fail me.

Yup, that looks like the same drive, just SATA.   Smiley

It looks like a really good drive. I'm not sure if I want to go IDE or SATA (I'm going to get prices for both). The drive won't be able to even push the IDE to it's limit, let alone the SATA - but unless I get a roll cable, the SATA will cause less airflow restrictions inside the case (if that turns out to be an issue).

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2007, 05:39:19 PM »

Hello,

We're coming to the end of my list to compile for pricing (I want to get it to my relative by New Year's).

The only three things left to compare are monitor, case, and possible additional case fans.

As for keyboard/mouse - I just use generic keyboards (I hate those multimedia keyboards), the 9.99 special will do just fine and a simple scroll wheel mouse (I'll splurge to get the optical mouse Tongue) - both wired.

The speakers I'll look at later - I'll get monitor speakers from probably Musician's Friend.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2007, 05:43:59 PM »

Hello,

O.K. - so let's talk about monitors - I'm looking at LCD monitors. I've never really looked into that much - last time I priced a system a basic LCD was $500+ minimum (out of my budget).

I would want a 19" - 22" screen for under $250. I would only consider widescreen in the 21" - 22" range. I would like it to be as energy efficient as possible. Also, I notice that several come with speakers built in - that would be a feature I would NOT want! Wink

Like I said, I've never really looked into these screens - so I don't know what to look for as far as brightness, contrast, refresh, etc.

Also, I don't know which brands are good buys and which are stay away from's.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 05:44:43 PM by Athanasios » Logged

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2007, 06:08:38 PM »

Hello,

Also, any recommendations on cases. I bought an Antec years ago that served well, but I don't know if they still make good cases.

And I don't know if I'll need any additional case fans, but if I do - what is a good QUIET fan?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 06:09:08 PM by Athanasios » Logged

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2007, 06:09:54 PM »

Hello,

And I don't know if I'll get one, but who makes good UPS's these days?

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2007, 07:32:33 PM »

You should take a look at this monitor.  http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3301369

Viewable Screen Size:   20 inches
Contrast Ratio:   Dynamic 2000:1, Static 1000:1
Brightness:   300 cd/m²
Response Time:   5 ms

Noctua makes great fans.  Antec is probably still one of the best, so I would stick with them.

Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2007, 11:57:29 PM »

Hello,

Looking at the reviews, it seems that NEC and ViewSonic are among the best. What do you think of this monitor:

ViewSonic X Series VX2240W Black-Silver 22" 2msDVI Widescreen LCD Monitor

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2007, 12:10:51 AM »

Hello,

Looking at the reviews, it seems that NEC and ViewSonic are among the best. What do you think of this monitor:

ViewSonic X Series VX2240W Black-Silver 22" 2msDVI Widescreen LCD Monitor

Looks good to me.   Smiley

Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2007, 12:12:17 AM »

Hello,

Looks good to me.   Smiley

Yeah, it's a teensy bit more than I want to spend ($250) - but I might pamper myself just this once.  Grin

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2007, 12:12:58 AM »

Hello,

Now I am looking at cases! Nothing is cheap anymore - is it!  Cry

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2007, 01:22:26 AM »

Hello,

I think I am going to go with this case:

COOLMASTER Centurion 5

Of course, I know need to get a power supply - will it never end!  Grin

So power supply - any suggestions?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 01:24:15 AM by Athanasios » Logged

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2007, 01:40:32 AM »

Hello,

What do you think of this one:

Antec earthwatts EA380 ATX12V v2.0 380W Power Supply 100

Do you think 380W is enough?

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2007, 02:39:03 AM »

I think you should be okay with 380W, you are not running anything too power consuming.  There is a programme around somewhere where you can plug in parts and see what your consumption will be, but I forget its name or if it is even maintained anymore.

If you are worrying about your PSU power, a friend of mine is using this one and it hasn't given him any issues.  It is a good upper mid range machine.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: