OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 03:51:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saint, Name  (Read 1622 times) Average Rating: 0
seraphim08

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« on: December 09, 2007, 04:36:39 AM »

Hey all. I want to thank everyone who read my previous post for your prayers and encouragement. I am doing some better. Just taking it a day at a time. So I have a question. I know that many times, upon chrismation, it's customary to take on a new name, that of a saint that has lived previously. I know not everyone does it. Some already have a great name. For personal reasons, though, this practice is very appealing to me. Aaaaaaanywho. My question: what is the criteria that is often used in picking the name? Is it typically a saint the person has an unexplicable connection with or fondness for? How does it work? What if there are more than one saint that you deeply admire or feel a connection with? Any help is appreciated.
God bless.
Aaron
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 10:34:47 AM »

Well, without knowing your exact cirumstances, here goes:

Typically, a name change is only done if the person does not already have a Christian name. For example, if your name were Zaphod, you could probably choose a different one. However, it is highly unusual for someone who has a Christian name already (such as yours) to be known in the Church as anything else.

Therefore, this would be a determination between you and your priest as to whether your particular circumstances would warrant a name change.

Hope that helps.

YtterbiumAnalyst (who kept his Christian name at conversion)

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 12:39:46 PM »

Bearing Mr. Y's post in mind, we do have a few friends who had a Christian name and opted for a different saint name because they felt a special connection with the saint.  Read into the lives of the saints as there may be one who you identify with strongly who doesn't share your name.  I would strongly encourage you to consult a priest as well.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 02:13:28 PM »

Is it typically a saint the person has an unexplicable connection with or fondness for? How does it work? What if there are more than one saint that you deeply admire or feel a connection with? Any help is appreciated.
Aaron

The answer really varies but is totally up to you.  If you feel a connection to a particular saint, as one of my friends did, then maybe this is the saint for you.  If you already have a Christian name but couldn't find a saint with that name, as was my case, and you want a name of a saint, then go for it.  It's really a personal choice, Aaron.  Maybe you should talk it over with your priest before you make a decision.

In Christ,
Gabriel

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 03:44:55 PM »

My patron saint is St. John of Damascus, whose day just passed Tuesday.  My name means Jesus, so can't get much more Christian than that.  It is very common at the parish I'm  at now for converts (and we have a couple dozen every year) to get a name with some saint they connect with.  Some legally change their names.

I would of course pick your name so it is ready for chrismation.

Btw, it is common to take new names at chrismation, just like men who have perfectly good Orthodox Christian names take others when they are ordained, and men and women with perfectly good Orthodox Christian names take new ones at monastic tonsure.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 05:54:23 PM »

My name is William, and though there were a few pre-schism saints with that name, I didn't feel a tremendous connection with them. Emp. Justinian, however, was someone who fascinated me the more I learned of him, so that's what I chose.

However, I'm called Will in every setting except when I go up for communion. So just because you choose the name doesn't mean you'll be called it (unless you want to!).

But I echo everyones sentiment to talk to your priest about it.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
seraphim08

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 12:47:26 AM »

Thanks for the advice everyone. I did e-mail my priest about it, and hope to receive his imput soon. Thanks again.
God bless.
~Aaron
Órëlaurëa
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the midwest

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 06:10:04 PM »

Bearing Mr. Y's post in mind, we do have a few friends who had a Christian name and opted for a different saint name because they felt a special connection with the saint.  Read into the lives of the saints as there may be one who you identify with strongly who doesn't share your name.  I would strongly encourage you to consult a priest as well.

This is me! I had a perfectly good Christian name, and decided to choose Great Martyr Anastasia (d. 304) as my saint. I did this because I felt a connection to her--I felt that her life was a great example, and I really saw a few parallels in our lives. I only hope not to disgrace her! Wink

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
Rowan
Lurker, Writer, Science-lover, yada yada yada...

Faith: Episcopalian

-- Defying Gravity --

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 07:10:16 PM »

Old Testament Aaron is cooool.

Just wanted to say.

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. ~Philippians 4:8; St Paul
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: