OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 04:46:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: origen of alexandria: heretic?  (Read 1444 times) Average Rating: 0
Daedelus1138
Elder

Faith: Christian

« on: April 26, 2013, 09:25:21 AM »

Is Origen of Alexandria a heretic?  My understanding was some of his works were deemed heretical, but that he himself was not anathematized.   It would seem strange to anathematize someone whom many Fathers respected.

In Protestant traditions Origen sometimes is referenced, especially his theodicy.  And he's also sometimes used by the more liberally minded to point out the place of allegory in early Christian exegesis:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belief/2010/jun/10/origen-christianity-philosophy
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 09:31:30 AM »

Origen was obviously very influential to Christian theology and spirituality. He was widely admired. For instance, Sts. Basil and Gregory Nazianzen compiled a Philokalia of writings of his that they deemed edifying. The ideas he was condemned for (look for Justinian's anathemas) seem to mainly be some excessive Platonic imports. I'm not sure how clearly he was personally anathematized, but it was certainly taken that way after the Fifth Ecumenical Council by many. For instance, at his trial, when St. Maximus the Confessor was asked if he was an Origenist, he immediately said "Anathema to Origen."

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 12:48:32 PM »

It would seem strange to anathematize someone whom many Fathers respected.

What about Apollinaris of Laodicea?

On a OC.net diet.
Nicene
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 02:01:17 PM »

He taught some wrong things, like universal salvation if I recall or the pre existence of souls.

Thank you.
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
Warned
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 02:49:07 PM »

Origen, a truly compassionate & conscientious theologian, was anathematized by the emperor St. Justinian  Roll Eyes (who burned Manicheans alive left on ships adrift at sea, as noted by author: Harry J Magoulias in: "Byzantine Christianity: Emperor, Church, & the WEst). This is something I recommend just taking an aspirin to relieve a given headache of & not to become bothered by. Also remain an admirer of Origen if you like; I do.  Wink   

Also, Origen's father is a saint:   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Leonides
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 02:51:12 PM by recent convert » Logged

Antiochian OC N.A.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 03:24:32 PM »

Origin was a pretty cool guy.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 04:11:59 PM »

It looks as if OC.net hath spaketh and anathematized the anathema!

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 06:41:17 PM »

Origin was a pretty cool guy.

When did this happen in gold foil, faux or fact?

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 10:04:16 PM »

The website of the artist who originally painted it was posted here a few months ago, which had the high def image.

I was bummed and glad at the same time.

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 11:11:50 PM »

Origen, a truly compassionate & conscientious theologian, was anathematized by the emperor St. Justinian  Roll Eyes (who burned Manicheans alive left on ships adrift at sea, as noted by author: Harry J Magoulias in: "Byzantine Christianity: Emperor, Church, & the WEst). This is something I recommend just taking an aspirin to relieve a given headache of & not to become bothered by. Also remain an admirer of Origen if you like; I do.  Wink   

St. Justinian was totally awesome.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 11:12:32 PM »

It looks as if OC.net hath spaketh and anathematized the anathema!

No surprise there...  Roll Eyes

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 01:08:04 AM »

emperor St. Justinian  Roll Eyes (who burned Manicheans alive left on ships adrift at sea, as noted by author: Harry J Magoulias in: "Byzantine Christianity: Emperor, Church, & the WEst).
Source was probably Procopius's Wars of JustinianWink

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 05:11:09 AM »

Yeah, aphtartodocetism totally rocks.

On a OC.net diet.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 04:39:20 PM »

Yeah, aphtartodocetism totally rocks.

That he ever advanced apthartodocetism is very debatable.

Daedelus1138
Elder

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 09:41:27 PM »

This doesn't surprise me... Justinian was an aggressive individual, and his anathema of Origen and univesal reconciliation is very unfortunate, but i don't think its the last word on things (and I don't believe represents the consensus on Christian theology- I myself believe in conditional universalism).  Nontheless, I do like his hymns in the eastern liturgy. 
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2013, 02:14:21 AM »

This doesn't surprise me... Justinian was an aggressive individual, and his anathema of Origen and univesal reconciliation is very unfortunate
The former, yes. The latter, well, look at the sort of universalism he specifically condemned.

but i don't think its the last word on things
No doctrine of Sola Justinian.

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2013, 05:16:28 AM »

Justinian was an aggressive individual

And also a surpisingly intellectual individual as well.

and his anathema of Origen and univesal reconciliation is very unfortunate, but i don't think its the last word on things (and I don't believe represents the consensus on Christian theology- I myself believe in conditional universalism). 

Well, the anathema against Origen's apocatastasis wasn't at all unfortunate. St. Gregory of Nyssa had a much more nuanced view of the apocatastasis, and IIRC that one isn't anathematised.

On a OC.net diet.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 01:02:00 AM »

It's not like the Church tosses out everything Origen wrote. In fact, the only problematic things, IIRC, are those passages where he expresses his weird philosophy. Other works, however, are often read and are very edifying.

Evagrius of Pontus was also anathematized by the Fifth Ecumenical Council, and his works are even more widely read in the Church. They are solid works on prayer and spiritual life.

It was not the Emperor St. Justinian who anathematized, but the Holy Church. If it were only the emperor himself, and he had no authority to do this personally, but even if by force of personality he was able to bend a council to his will, other emperors have done the same thing and their designs have been consigned to the dustbin. The Church cannot be manipulated. Emperors are not all-powerful nor are they immortal.

It is really worth actually getting to know St. Justinian (and the other "controversial" saints, before one slaps a big fat condemnation on oneself by speaking ill of them out of ignorance).

Daedelus1138
Elder

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2013, 10:43:47 PM »

I actually do like Justinian, but I'm not sure how he is a saint on par with Origen. 
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2013, 10:49:28 PM »

I actually do like Justinian, but I'm not sure how he is a saint on par with Origen. 

Ah, the wonderful different meanings interpretation gives to words.

You are aware that Origen is not on the Eastern Orthodox, Roman Catholic, Oriental Orthodox, or Assyrian Calendars? Last I checked, he wasn't commemorated by the Anglicans/Episcopalians, either, at least not since 1979.

Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2013, 01:15:18 AM »

Emperor Justinian built a huge church! he is a saint!

do not mind the nika riots... !

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
adampjr
Karamazov

Jurisdiction: Antioch

Penguin

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2013, 01:39:49 AM »

In my reading of Origen, I see some platonic influence just as I see it in almost all of the people of the time period. I wonder if his followers perhaps took his views further and that was what led to his condemnation?

Gregory of Nyssa also taught some form of apocatastasis, as does (at least in my reading of the Orthodox Church) Metropolitan Kallistos Ware.

It is quite obvious that many of the Church Fathers are not considered infallible, and Origen doesn't seem that far out when I read him.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: