OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 05:46:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Theosis vs Sanctification  (Read 4342 times) Average Rating: 0
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2010, 04:10:14 PM »

What's the name of the book Fr. John wrote?

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2010, 04:50:31 PM »

What's the name of the book Fr. John wrote?

The book that sticks in my memory is St. Gregory Palamas and Orthodox Spirituality

It would only be a brief reference, if indeed the final disposition of Barlaam is mentioned there,  and would not give you precisely what you are looking for...In any event if you haven't read this brief but dense history, you should.  If you are not finding what you seek there, you will at least see that this is not strictly and east-west controversy at all, and that will be most useful to you.

M.

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2010, 02:48:35 PM »

All I know is that what the East presents as Barlaam's view, well such is not compatible with the Catholic faith.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2010, 06:50:20 PM »

Lossky is mistaken. Western theology is apophotic:

"This is what is ultimate in the human knowledge of God: to know that we do not know God." -St. Thomas Aquinas (Quaestiones Disputate)

Out of curiosity, I know you've read at least some of Peter Kreeft over the years. Do you recall if he examines the usage of an apophatic approach in any of the western Fathers, and if so, in what particular book(s) does he do this in? I ask about him in particular because I attended a lecture Dr. Kreeft gave about 4-5 years ago in which he mentioned apophasticism in St. Thomas Aquinas, and I remember finding it interesting, but I never did follow up on it.
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I haven't been online much. As for your question, I know that Peter Kreeft touches on the unknowability of God in his book, Handbook of Christian Apologetics, though not deeply. It's kind of an elementary work. Mostly Peter Kreeft focuses on philosophy for the uninitiated. Though he does a fantastic job communicating deep thoughts to this particular audience. I also would expect that he talks about it in his book, Catholic Chrisianity, which is an overview of the Catholic faith based on the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

I am still trying to figure out why one would turn to st. Peter Kreeft to find the heart of apophatic spirituality in the west and ignore St. Teresa of Avila, among many others? 

No wonder things get so confused.

M.

I'm sorry that things are so confused for you Sad Keep trying to understand, though, it'll come to you eventually.

St. Basil is great!

Wonder if he drank goat's milk . . .

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: