OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 07:19:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sam: Arabic help, please!  (Read 1771 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« on: June 04, 2003, 12:33:03 PM »

Sam,

Could you please write out in transliterated Arabic what the text for "O Son of God, who are risen from the dead save us who sing to you, alleluia!" (Kalisnaya, yab nallah or what not).

Thanks!

anastasios

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2003, 03:29:43 PM »

This isn't done with my trademark accuracy, so roughly transliterated:

Khal'li(s)na yab nal'lah, ya men qama min bay'nil amwaat, na(h)nul muran'nimeena laka, halelooiy'ya.

Translated literally, it is phrased, "Save us O' Son of God, O' who rose from the dead, us the singing to you, Alleluia.  For clarity, the last phrase can be understood to mean, "us, those who are singing to you."

The two letters in paranthesis are Arabic consonants.  The first is a rolled 's'; the second is an exhaled breath.

In IC XC
Samer
« Last Edit: June 05, 2003, 04:13:50 PM by SamB » Logged
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2003, 10:56:14 AM »

Just a comment: we have a lady from Jerusalem in our church who sings in Arabic at every Divine Liturgy.

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful.

Smiley

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2003, 11:07:37 AM »

Thank you very much, Samer!

anastasios

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2003, 04:14:22 PM »

Thank you very much, Samer!

You're welcome.

In IC XC
Samer
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2003, 04:21:29 PM »

Just a comment: we have a lady from Jerusalem in our church who sings in Arabic at every Divine Liturgy.

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful.

Smiley

I'm wagering you already know of the Melkite Sr. Marie Keyrouz.  She's proficient in many Rites.

I once purchased Marcel Peres' Chants de L'Eglise Milanaise, different from other Ambrosian chants in that it is performed as the director thinks it sounded like in the first millenium.  Ergo, an Eastern influence is observed, and to my surprise and delight, by voice recognition, I found out that amongst the members of Ensemble Organum was Sr. Marie Keyrouz.  And I must say I was stunned by her good pronunciation of Latin (which is why I had some doubts it was her).  Arabs are not known for proficiency in their phonetic grasp of that language (French on the other, is another matter; they tend to be excellent in that area).

Her performance, needless to say, was beautiful.  She added a strong Antiochian element to the chant.

In IC XC
Samer
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: