OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 07:06:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Post Communion?  (Read 1347 times) Average Rating: 0
TonyS
High Elder

« on: June 02, 2003, 11:17:46 PM »

XB!

Friends,

In the churches of the Russian usage there is the custom of "zapivka" or a drink of wine mixed with water and a bite of bread to "wash down" Communion, this is usually consumed right after Communion.  This should not be confused with the bread distrubuted at the end of Divine Liturgy or at the Vigil.

My question is to those who attend regular Sunday Divine Liturgy in an EO church that is not Russian usage.  Is there bread and/or something to drink distributed right after Communion?

I have visited a Coptic parish locally and seen what they did, I also was at an Indian Orthodox parish and saw their practice. I would appreciate hearing from any other OOs about this.

Also I would appreciate hearing from any ECs if this is practiced in their parishes.

Again, my question is about immediately after Communion, not bread at another time.

Thanks!

Tony

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
moronikos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ...and they were first called Christians in Antioch

I'm trying to think, but nothing happens!

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2003, 11:37:14 PM »

In my Antiochian parish, there is bread passed out to communicants right after receiving.  I believe this is called antidoron.  However, there is nothing to drink.
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2003, 02:22:21 AM »

Christos Anesti!  Christ is Risen!

Yes, just after partaking of communion, you pick up a piece of antidoron ("instead of the gift") from a basket placed nearby and eat that to make sure that the "gifts" don't remain in your mouth. Whatever is left over is distributed by the priests to the rest of the congregation. There is no wine/water to drink immediately after communion though, but we seem to manage without.

John.
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2003, 03:39:47 AM »

Tony, I attend an OCA mission, and I am glad that there is wine with the antidoron (sp?).  I sing in the choir and my mouth is so dry by the time we take communion, that I'm not sure the bread would go down without the wine to wash it down with.  

I am glad to know that not all the jurisdictions do that since I'll be attending an Antiochian church this weekend (I am going to a women's retreat sponsored by the Antiochians).  For those of you who attend an Antiochian church, are there any customs that I should be aware of that might be different?
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2003, 08:30:57 AM »

XB!

I really meant to put this in the "Liturgy" area...I must have been tired or just dummer than usual!  I only noticed it was in "Faith" this morning! Tongue

If it can be moved to the appropriate area I will appreciate that!

Tony

I'll see you when yo
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2003, 08:36:48 AM »

Christos Anesti!  Christ is Risen!

Yes, just after partaking of communion, you pick up a piece of antidoron ("instead of the gift") from a basket placed nearby and eat that to make sure that the "gifts" don't remain in your mouth. Whatever is left over is distributed by the priests to the rest of the congregation. There is no wine/water to drink immediately after communion though, but we seem to manage without.

John.

Dear John,

In which tradition?

Tony

I'll see you when yo
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2003, 08:57:21 AM »

In my GOA church we also pick up a piece of antidoron from a basket an Alter Boy is holding after receiving communion. But, there is nothing additional to help it go down.

I noticed the additional setting up of the wine and bread just before communion at St. Nicholas in DC and was wondering what it was for.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: