Author Topic: Need help with proper pronunication of Arabic Christmas Greeting...  (Read 3571 times)

Offline Tamara

• Archon
  • +Pray for Orthodox Unity+
My Palestinian girlfriend emailed me the greeting for "Christ is Born! Glorify Him!" in Arabic.

She wrote:  "AlMaseeh Woolida! Famajidooh!"

Where do the accents fall on this greeting? I would like to learn how to say it properly so when I visit my
father confessor and my other Arab friends I can say the greeting to them in Arabic.

Shukran, Tumra  :)

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos
Re: Need help with proper pronunication of Arabic Christmas Greeting...
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 10:56:40 PM »
My Palestinian girlfriend emailed me the greeting for "Christ is Born! Glorify Him!" in Arabic.

She wrote:  "AlMaseeh Woolida! Famajidooh!"

Where do the accents fall on this greeting? I would like to learn how to say it properly so when I visit my
father confessor and my other Arab friends I can say the greeting to them in Arabic.

Shukran, Tumra  :)

al-ma-see-H(u) wu-li-d(a)! fa-maj-ji-dooh!

Accent patterns vary from region to region, but the above would cover the pretige pronunciations of Syria and Egypt.  The last (a) of wulida shouldn't be pronounced in normal conversation.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Tamara

• Archon
  • +Pray for Orthodox Unity+
Re: Need help with proper pronunication of Arabic Christmas Greeting...
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 02:29:01 AM »
al-ma-see-H(u) wu-li-d(a)! fa-maj-ji-dooh!

Accent patterns vary from region to region, but the above would cover the pretige pronunciations of Syria and Egypt.  The last (a) of wulida shouldn't be pronounced in normal conversation.

Thank you!  :)  My father confessor is from Damascus and he tends to correct my pronunciation  when I make any attempts to speak to him in Arabic so I really appreciate your help...hee, hee, hee.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 02:29:32 AM by Tamara »