OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 08:43:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: order to hanging icons?  (Read 2293 times) Average Rating: 0
Andrea

« on: December 03, 2007, 07:15:29 PM »

Hello, I did a search for the answer to my question, but didn't find anything. I hope this isn't a dumb question.  I have a few prints of icons I would like to hang up, but am wondering if there is a specific order to hanging them, or if there are "rules" about ones hanging over others?  Or does it not matter?  Embarrassed

Thank you!

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 07:38:33 PM »

I could see if you were going to hang the major feast day icons, putting them in order only makes sense.

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 08:05:15 PM »

When viewed, the Theotokos needs to be on the left and Christ on the right. Other than that, I don't know of any specific order.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 08:09:19 PM »

Hello, I did a search for the answer to my question, but didn't find anything. I hope this isn't a dumb question.  I have a few prints of icons I would like to hang up, but am wondering if there is a specific order to hanging them, or if there are "rules" about ones hanging over others?  Or does it not matter?  Embarrassed
What icons do you have?

As a rule of thumb..... place two icons in the centre as the focus for your icons and your prayers.  These are an icon of Christ and an icon of His holy Mother.  She can be either placed on the left of him (as you are looking at them) or she can be placed below him.

The rest of the icons can be placed on either side of these two main icons and below them.  The angels and the Apostles tend to get placed closest to our Lord and His Mother.
Andrea

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 08:22:36 PM »

What icons do you have?

As a rule of thumb..... place two icons in the centre as the focus for your icons and your prayers.  These are an icon of Christ and an icon of His holy Mother.  She can be either placed on the left of him (as you are looking at them) or she can be placed below him.

The rest of the icons can be placed on either side of these two main icons and below them.  The angels and the Apostles tend to get placed closest to our Lord and His Mother.

I only have a few right now, one of Christ, one of the Virgin holding Christ, Rublev's Trinity and a small one of Saint George.

Thank you for the info!

Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 08:24:54 PM »

Theotokos on the left and the icon of Christ should be on the right and then a cross in the middle is usually what most people do. I don't have my icon corner set up like that though since my icon of the Theotokos isn't the same size as my Christ Panocrator icon so I have Christ in the middle and below the icon, the Cross and on the left, the Theotokos and on the right, the Holy Trinity and I have Saints and other icons just arranged around them.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 08:43:54 PM »

I only have a few right now, one of Christ, one of the Virgin holding Christ, Rublev's Trinity and a small one of Saint George.
Ok, now we've got it!   Smiley

Holy Trinity on top.

Christ and His Mother side by side, below the Trinity.  Mary on the left of Christ (this is the opposite to Roman Catholic usage but it's the way the Orthodox always place them.)

Saint George below them.  Alternatively he could be beside either Christ or His Mother.
Mo the Ethio
Proud Capitalist
Elder

Faith: Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 09:08:09 PM »

Thank you for the info!

My Greek friends put an Icon in every room of the house as opposed to one centralized location.
Also, an Icon of Christ should be placed higher than anything in the house including posters, family pics..etc

"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names."
- John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 09:34:43 PM »

My Greek friends put an Icon in every room of the house as opposed to one centralized location.
Also, an Icon of Christ should be placed higher than anything in the house including posters, family pics..etc

Interesting. I have my icons very low down because I kneel each time.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
Mo the Ethio
Proud Capitalist
Elder

Faith: Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 10:12:57 PM »

Interesting. I have my icons very low down because I kneel each time.

I`m not trying to speak for the Greeks here....just an observation on my part.

"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names."
- John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)
Athanasios
Latin Rite Catholic faithful to the Holy Father and the Magisterium
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Church Diocese of Youngstown

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2007, 11:12:47 PM »

Hello,

Mary on the left of Christ (this is the opposite to Roman Catholic usage but it's the way the Orthodox always place them.)
You'll find it both ways in Catholic Sacred Art. There is no proscribed way that is required one way or the other.

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

Pray that we may be one, as Christ and His Father are one. (John 17:20ff)

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
Latin Rite Catholic faithful to the Holy Father and the Magisterium
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Church Diocese of Youngstown

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2007, 11:13:17 PM »

Hello,

Out of curiosity, why do the Orthodox say that Mary should be on the left - what is the reasoning?

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

Pray that we may be one, as Christ and His Father are one. (John 17:20ff)

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2007, 11:40:42 PM »

Out of curiosity, why do the Orthodox say that Mary should be on the left - what is the reasoning?
I do not know definitely but I would say that it is appropriate that she is on the right of her Son (from His perspective.)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 11:45:16 PM by Irish Hermit » Logged
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2007, 12:10:23 AM »

Ok, now we've got it!   Smiley

Holy Trinity on top.

Christ and His Mother side by side, below the Trinity.  Mary on the left of Christ (this is the opposite to Roman Catholic usage but it's the way the Orthodox always place them.)

Saint George below them.  Alternatively he could be beside either Christ or His Mother.
This is in many ways quite similar to the arrangement of icons in my own personal icon corner (in my bedroom/study):  Rublev's "Holy Trinity" at the top; on the second level Christ to the right, the Theotokos to the left, and the Cross in the middle; on the bottom level my patron saint, Peter the Aleut, in the center with a couple other American saints flanking him, St. Innocent of Alaska to the left and St. Herman to the right.

In my house's icon corner we have dominating the configuration a Greek triptych of Christ flanked by His Mother to His right (my left as I'm facing the icons) and St. John the Forerunner to His left, both partly facing Christ (not in complete profile) with their hands outstretched as if to point our attention to Christ.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 12:10:56 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Carpatho Russian
Site Supporter
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever!

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2007, 10:53:21 AM »

The tradition of having the Theotokos at the right hand of Christ - on the left of the icon of Christ (as you are looking at them) comes from Psalm 45 (46).

1) My heart overflows with a noble theme; let me recite my verses for you, O king! My tongue is as nimble as the pen of a skillful writer.
2) You are the most handsome of men, and graciousness flows from your lips; the blessings God has given you can never fail. 3) With your sword at your side, mighty warrior, gird yourself in splendor and majesty; may glory make your conquest complete! 4) Ride on triumphantly in the cause of truth and meekness and right. 5) Let the deeds of your right hand win you renown, for your arrows are sharp, and nations shall fall at your feet in terror. 6) The eternal and everlasting God has enthroned you; your scepter is one that rules true; virtue you love as much as you hate wickedness. 7) Rightly has God, your God, chosen to anoint you with the oil of gladness, setting you above all your companions. 8.) All your robes are fragrant with myrrh, sandalwood, and cinnamon; from ivory palaces the music of strings entertains you. 9) Royal princesses take their place among your honored women; at your right stands the queen, dressed in a robe of many colors, embroidered in gold.
10) Listen, daughter, and see! Give ear to my words: Forget your people and your father's house. 11) The king is enthralled with your beauty; honor him, then, as your lord. 12) O daughter of Tyre, the wealthiest people will court your favor with gifts. 13) All her robes are royal apparel fringed with thread of spun gold. 14) Arrayed in richly colored brocades, the maiden-bride is led to the king. 15) Those in her train, her companions, are presented with her; with joy and gladness they are brought in; they enter the palace of the king.
16) As for you, O king, your sons shall be worthy of your fathers; among them you shall divide the world, giving each his domain. 17) And may this song make your name remembered from one generation to the next, that nations may praise you for ever and ever.

Zastupnice christianov nepostydnaja, chodatajice ko Tvorcu nepreložnaja, ne prezri hr’išnych molenij hlasy, popredvari jako blahaja na pomošč nas, virno vopijuščich ti: Uskori na molitvu, i potščisja na umolenije, zastupajušči prisno Bohorodice, čtuščich t’a.
Andrea

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2007, 03:32:07 PM »

I've been offline for a few days so I couldn't follow up. Thank you for the information! I'll be rearranging my icons.

That is a beautiful iconstasis you posted, Irish Hermit.
Tags: icon corner icons 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: