OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 05:54:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Microphones  (Read 3812 times) Average Rating: 0
Athanasios
Latin Rite Catholic faithful to the Holy Father and the Magisterium
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Church Diocese of Youngstown

The Divine Mercy

« on: December 03, 2007, 01:07:40 AM »

Hello,

Any recommendations for a microphone. I will be using it for vocal recording - Sacred Music and Opera (and other) - and will be plugging it into my computer.

Here is one I saw at Best Buy - is it any good?

Samson - Dynamic Vocal Microphone

Note: I don't have a lot to spend - it needs to be ideally under $100 (under $50 would be much, much better!). I know the general rule you get what you pay for, but I am a man on a budget.

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

Pray that we may be one, as Christ and His Father are one. (John 17:20ff)

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
scamandrius
Dr., Rdr. Scamandrius to you :)
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 01:27:58 AM »

Hello,

Any recommendations for a microphone. I will be using it for vocal recording - Sacred Music and Opera (and other) - and will be plugging it into my computer.

Here is one I saw at Best Buy - is it any good?

Samson - Dynamic Vocal Microphone

Note: I don't have a lot to spend - it needs to be ideally under $100 (under $50 would be much, much better!). I know the general rule you get what you pay for, but I am a man on a budget.

Samson makes a quality product for the price.  When I played in my old band, we would record our practices throuh a soundboard to the computer with one Samson microphone in the center of the room.  The quality was pretty good.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 01:36:01 AM »

Hello,

Samson makes a quality product for the price.  When I played in my old band, we would record our practices throuh a soundboard to the computer with one Samson microphone in the center of the room.  The quality was pretty good.

I've been looking around the internet and it seems that there are some condenser mic's for under a hundred - like the Samson C01. I am intending on using this more for recording than performance - do you think I would be better served with a condenser mic?

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 12:35:19 PM »

My brother sells recording equipment. I'll ask him what he recommends.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 11:10:45 PM »

Hello,

My brother sells recording equipment. I'll ask him what he recommends.
Thanks, I appreciate it. And ask him if he has an online site for his store.

I've sure been learning a lot about microphones. A friend of mine told me about this site:

Musician's Friend

They seem to have a lot of great deals in all sorts of instruments and equipment!

I came upon this microphone on that site and it seems promising:

MXL V63M Studio Condenser Microphone

From what I understand now, I'd have to get a few more pieces of equipment - a pre mic, a stand and boom, and an adapter for my computer input.

Thoughts?

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 01:05:29 AM »

Hello,

I might also note that after see the reasonable prices at Musician's Friend that I am considering a few more pieces of equipment (mic stand, mixer, etc.) and creating a small home recording studio.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 11:55:01 PM »

The Shure SM58 is a great all around vocal mike. It is a real work horse and fairly inexpensive at around $100.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-SM58-Mic?sku=270101
For individual vocals you can't get a better value; excellent sound and a GREAT price.

Musicians friend is basically guitar center. Guitar center bought out Musicians friend around 1998 or 1999. My husband worked at GC for a number of years.

My husband really liked Mackie as far as mixers go. At one point we had our own recoding studio set up with numerous bass guitars (for me) and numerous electric and acoustic guitars. But bills must be paid, and high quality gear isn't worth anything when you need to pay the mortgage. Cry

Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 11:57:26 PM »

Another great website is; http://www.music123.com
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 10:01:45 PM »

Hello,

The Shure SM58 is a great all around vocal mike. It is a real work horse and fairly inexpensive at around $100.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-SM58-Mic?sku=270101
For individual vocals you can't get a better value; excellent sound and a GREAT price.

How is it for high quality recording. I will be using the microphone for next to none live performances. It will be used to record vocals and then run it through a program to add effects (i.e., reverb). But recording is the primary function of this microphone. It will mainly be recording in what I making a studio (makeshift, no sound-dampening, no acoustical qualities, etc.) - but there is a remote possibility of recording my choir at Church during Mass.

Musicians friend is basically guitar center. Guitar center bought out Musicians friend around 1998 or 1999. My husband worked at GC for a number of years.
Interesting. I think there is a new Guitar Center store in my town. I'll have to check it out.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 10:16:03 PM »

Athanasios,

PM the poster here known as 'kelfar'.  He is probably the most qualified on this subject.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 10:35:06 PM »

Hello,
Thanks, I appreciate it. And ask him if he has an online site for his store.
Haven't forgotten about you! I left a message with my brother a couple of weeks ago, but he didn't get back to me, and with the funeral and all, I don't think it's the right time to bring it up again. Good luck in your search, and if I can find out anything, I'll be sure to post it.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 01:19:39 PM »

Hello,

Haven't forgotten about you! I left a message with my brother a couple of weeks ago, but he didn't get back to me, and with the funeral and all, I don't think it's the right time to bring it up again. Good luck in your search, and if I can find out anything, I'll be sure to post it.

Thank you. And I pray that all is well with your family.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 02:46:34 PM »

Hello,

How is it for high quality recording. I will be using the microphone for next to none live performances. It will be used to record vocals and then run it through a program to add effects (i.e., reverb). But recording is the primary function of this microphone. It will mainly be recording in what I making a studio (makeshift, no sound-dampening, no acoustical qualities, etc.) - but there is a remote possibility of recording my choir at Church during Mass.

It is excellent for home recording. Many studios have it on hand because it is such an excellent mike.

The type of mike you need for a single in studio recording and one you would need for a choir are completely different. You would need a different type, and multiple mikes to record a choir in high quality. Whereas you would need one to record a single instrument or voice.

The Shure is a cardioid dynamic mic. I belive that a more condenser type mic would work better for the purpose of recording a choir. And in any case you need multiple mics as various positions to get the best sound possible. One mic on a choir just will not do.

You might consider getting a minidisc recorder to try out recording your choir.  Setting up a mobile recording studio is really hard. That way you can record on a single mic and then listen. When you want to do a more thourgh job you can buy the multiple mics, find the perfect place, figure out mic positioning and the like. Most of your time would be setting up the equipment rather than actually singing/recording. A minidisc with a nice little built in condenser mic is actually quite good for recording live bands, speaking and choirs.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 02:48:05 PM by Quinault » Logged
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 02:52:32 PM »

I can't recommend any mic over the Shure SM58 for the quality and value.
Although many people like the Beta too.
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 03:06:34 PM »

Add two turntables and you can really get jiggy with it.  Cheesy

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

"Yes, you are a white supremacist, ..."  ~Iconodule
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2007, 12:36:55 AM »

Okay, I finally got a recommendation from my brother. He says the Blue Snowball is the mic for you. It uses a USB cable, so it'll plug directly into whatever computer you buy. It also comes with its own software, which is Win/Mac compatible, and should be compatible with Linux as well (though he hasn't tried it on a Linux computer--they only have Win and Macs at the store, and he only has Win at home). He has them on sale right now for $99 (MSRP is $159). Plus, it sounds terrific; it should give you a true sound even without soundproofing.

But the best feature by far, he says, is that it looks like a spaceship. Smiley

Take a look here:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blue-Snowball-USB-Microphone-103647319-i1127343.gc
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 12:37:45 AM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2007, 08:34:19 PM »

OK-brain fart. I know nothing about mics for computers. Unless you are setting up with a recording device/studio, my advice above is useless. The Shure is not a USB mic.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 08:34:44 PM by Quinault » Logged
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2007, 10:15:25 PM »

Honestly, I didn't know USB mics existed until my brother told me about them. I pretty much wrote here what he told me.

Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2007, 10:18:25 PM »

Hello,

Honestly, I didn't know USB mics existed until my brother told me about them. I pretty much wrote here what he told me.

I've not heard good things about USB mics. The one I get will be with the XLR connections.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2007, 10:20:07 PM »

Hello,

OK-brain fart. I know nothing about mics for computers. Unless you are setting up with a recording device/studio, my advice above is useless. The Shure is not a USB mic.

The mic will run through a mixer and the mixer will connect to my computer via the sound card - the special high quality card I'll get that has XLR connections (I'm looking at M-Audio seriously).

I am looking closely at the SM-58 - it's between that or possibly a condenser mic, like the one I linked to in one of my previous posts.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2007, 10:20:57 PM »

Hello,

Okay, I finally got a recommendation from my brother. He says the Blue Snowball is the mic for you. It uses a USB cable, so it'll plug directly into whatever computer you buy. It also comes with its own software, which is Win/Mac compatible, and should be compatible with Linux as well (though he hasn't tried it on a Linux computer--they only have Win and Macs at the store, and he only has Win at home). He has them on sale right now for $99 (MSRP is $159). Plus, it sounds terrific; it should give you a true sound even without soundproofing.

But the best feature by far, he says, is that it looks like a spaceship. Smiley

Take a look here:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blue-Snowball-USB-Microphone-103647319-i1127343.gc

I don't think that is quite what I am looking for. But, thank your brother for his time.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: