OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 02:16:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Etiquette Romanian Orthodox service  (Read 421 times) Average Rating: 0
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« on: July 20, 2014, 07:38:43 PM »

The Holy Hand of St. Anna is at a local Romanian Orthodox parish this week. There is a Holy Unction service this Thursday evening, and I am thinking about taking our children to the service. I would have to take the kids by myself, but I want to make sure that this is feasible/wise to do. I've attended Holy Unction services at our home parish, but I've never attended a Romanian Orthodox service before. Could someone give me an idea of what the service would be like?
DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

Faith: Catechumen no more!
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 07:44:24 PM »

Make that two of us that are curious.

Quinault, not sure if you got the same flyer with info as I did but if you can't make the services, there was a note that the Church will also be open between 10am and 7 pm daily as well.

Please secure your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 07:56:17 PM »

Yes, I saw the same flyer. Our two eldest daughters will be going on Wednesday with their godmothers. I'd like to take our son Taz in particular for the Unction service.
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 11:09:17 AM »

1. if you arrive really late, don't venerate the icons right at the front on the iconostasis.
2. when everyone else who arrives really late distracts you by venerating the icons right on the iconostasis, try not to judge them. they haven't been online here first to check what to do.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 11:16:36 AM »

1. if you arrive really late, don't venerate the icons right at the front on the iconostasis.
2. when everyone else who arrives really late distracts you by venerating the icons right on the iconostasis, try not to judge them. they haven't been online here first to check what to do.

Smiley

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 11:24:15 AM »

Have some cash ready.
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 12:45:04 PM »

LOL!!!!!
kelly
God save Ukraine and Russia
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 12:48:38 PM »

Nothing to add except a request that you take pictures and share with us.

Remove the plank of lust from your own eye and you will be able to clearly see the speck of backflesh through the buttonhole of another.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 12:57:05 PM »

Huh? why not?
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 03:29:17 PM »

Huh? why not?

“Arriving later causes a distraction for others who are praying.”   http://www.antiochian.org/sites/default/files/ChurchEtiquetteBooklet.pdf

“Some rules of thumb: – Those who arrive late should generally refrain from partaking of the Eucharist that day as ‘proper preparation’ for Holy Communion assumes the effort of arriving on time service. One should refrain from venerating icons in the front of the church, etc. for the same reasons given under ‘Lighting Candles.’”  http://russianreport.wordpress.com/religion-in-russia/orthodox-worship-understanding-etiquette/

“Try not to interrupt the Liturgy with your entrance”
http://stpaulsorthodox.org/church-etiquette/members-catechumens/

“we each have a duty as serious worshipers to see that a respectful decorum and atmosphere are maintained so that the congregation can pray sincerely, peacefully without distractions, and meaningfully”   http://stgeorge.mi.goarch.org/about-us/church-etiquette

“The time to arrive at Church is before the Divine Liturgy starts. If you should arrive after the service begins, follow the guidelines under “Entering the Church” below so your entrance does not interrupt the service. The best way to avoid entering the Church at an inappropriate time is to arrive on time.”  http://www.stgeorge.nh.goarch.org/orthodox-resources/church-etiquette/

"We strive to arrive by the time the priest says, “Blessed is the Kingdom…” at the Divine Liturgy, or “Blessed is our God,” at most other services. This is the beginning of the “corporate” prayers of the whole Body of Christ. Thus, it is proper to arrive before the service starts. If forced by external circumstance to arrive late, one must enter quietly, minimizing distraction, and preserving the spirit of worship. It has become common practice to refrain from communion if one arrives after the Gospel reading. If one arrives during the Epistle or Gospel readings, the homily, or the Great Entrance remain at the back of the church until complete. Arriving in a timely fashion avoids distracting one’s brothers and sisters in Christ, and prevents inadvertently drawing our attention away from our worship of our Good God."   http://stcyril.us/church-etiquette/

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 03:33:54 PM »

Is that some American custom? I don't think I have seen or heard anyone making a big deal about people arriving late or leaving early. I guess people are encouraged to arrive on time but it certainly won't inhibit people from venerating icons if they happen arrive when the liturgy has already started.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:34:26 PM by Alpo » Logged
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 05:20:43 PM »

The Holy Hand of St. Anna is at a local Romanian Orthodox parish this week.

Tangent: do you know if this relic will be anywhere else in the US other than in your area?  I'm specifically interested in whether it will be brought to the Northeast. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 05:42:15 PM »

Have some cash ready.

Is this serious advice, or a joke? If it is serious advice, could you unpack age it a bit?
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 05:42:58 PM »

The Holy Hand of St. Anna is at a local Romanian Orthodox parish this week.

Tangent: do you know if this relic will be anywhere else in the US other than in your area?  I'm specifically interested in whether it will be brought to the Northeast. 

I really don't know.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: