Author Topic: Memorial service celebrated on the Saturday of the Venerable Fathers  (Read 150 times)

Online benjohn146

• Elder
    • Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, Belleville, Ontario, Canada
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Metropolis of Toronto
Is this memorial service in the same vein or has the same purpose of last week memorial service to the souls? Is it the second part of the latter? What is the difference?

Thank you all!
St Makarios, pray for us.

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
Re: Memorial service celebrated on the Saturday of the Venerable Fathers
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 04:07:39 PM »
This Saturday (Saturday of Cheesefare) is set forth for the commemoration of the Ascetics, ie monastics, venerable fathers (and mothers). Last Saturday was a memorial Saturday specifically commemorating all the departed. There are 3 more Soul Saturdays in Great Lent, the  2nd, 3rd and 4th Saturday, and those have a very similar structure to Meatfare Saturday.

Does your parish hold services for these?

Online benjohn146

• Elder
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 04:13:55 PM »
It seems like it will be the case, however the schedule is not out yet for the month of march  ;)

Is it inappropriate to commemorate the souls of our family on these other dates? Mea culpa, I couldn't make it last week for the Saturday of the souls...

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 04:20:57 PM »
It seems like it will be the case, however the schedule is not out yet for the month of march  ;)

Is it inappropriate to commemorate the souls of our family on these other dates? Mea culpa, I couldn't make it last week for the Saturday of the souls...

All Saturdays related to the departed in a way, so it would certainly be appropriate, but there are some unique elements to the Matins service for the Soul Saturdays, such as the reading of the names of the departed during the reading of the XVIII Kathisma.

Online benjohn146

• Elder
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 05:44:10 PM »
Thank you! The names that are being read are "reserved" for Orthodox Christians if i am right, isnt it?

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 05:46:59 PM »
Thank you! The names that are being read are "reserved" for Orthodox Christians if i am right, isnt it?

For Liturgy definitely yes. For other service such as panichida, matins or Akathist for departed - it depends on the priest.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

Online benjohn146

• Elder
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 06:04:56 PM »
Might sounds weird:

Both of my grand-parents were Roman Catholic and today it my grand-mother birthday. I have relics of them both (my grand mother's ashes and my grand father's wedding ring) that are in a small wooden box that i have decorated with icons that i have reproduced on the box.

I was just wondering if it is a big no no to bring their relics and, since that they aren't Orthodox, to place them where we light the candles for the departed.

Is it an appropriate thing to do?

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• St. John from the Lindisfarne Gospels
  • High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 07:18:24 PM »
This Saturday (Saturday of Cheesefare) is set forth for the commemoration of the Ascetics, ie monastics, venerable fathers (and mothers). Last Saturday was a memorial Saturday specifically commemorating all the departed. There are 3 more Soul Saturdays in Great Lent, the  2nd, 3rd and 4th Saturday, and those have a very similar structure to Meatfare Saturday.

This must vary because my parish has Soul Saturdays last week, this week and next.
Abbâ Anthony received a revelation in the desert, saying, “In such and such a city there is a man who resembleth thee; he is a physician, and he worketh and giveth whatsoever he earneth to the poor and needy, and each day he, with the angels, ascribeth holiness to God three times a day.”

May the Lord help me to become even a little bit like that guy.

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 09:30:04 PM »

This must vary because my parish has Soul Saturdays last week, this week and next.

A Memorial service could held on any of those Saturdays, but that doesn't make them Soul Saturdays. I think sometimes Theodore Saturday gets confused with them because of its association with boiled wheat, which is also associated with the services for the departed.  https://oca.org/saints/lives/2017/03/04/9-1st-saturday-of-great-lent-the-miracle-of-the-boiled-wheat

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch

A Memorial service could held on any of those Saturdays, but that doesn't make them Soul Saturdays. I think sometimes Theodore Saturday gets confused with them because of its association with boiled wheat, which is also associated with the services for the departed.  https://oca.org/saints/lives/2017/03/04/9-1st-saturday-of-great-lent-the-miracle-of-the-boiled-wheat

Yes.
However, e.g at my parish have the Presanctified Liturgy in the evening, so directly after it we have molebien to st. Theodore with the blessing of kolivo (boiled wheat), and on the morning Liturgy of Theodore Tyron Saturday we have prayers for the departed (plus troparion to st. Tyron) and after it panichida is also served.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria