Author Topic: Are Modern-Day Worship Songs Bad in Orthodoxy?  (Read 651 times)

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Archon
Re: Are Modern-Day Worship Songs Bad in Orthodoxy?
« Reply #45 on: Yesterday at 06:33:04 PM »
I instinctively cringe if I hear an organ during a service. 

Anyway, one should always allow the culture to try and present music within the scope of the rules.  Here is some beautiful liturgical music done in the tradition of Appalachian music:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c04QTftw4X4

I highly doubt a rock beat is acceptable, it's not like Polish music would put a polka beat on worship music or the Viennese would put a waltz on it, or the Syrians a debke
Appalachian?

That's the rumour:
https://www.orthocuban.com/2016/05/more-appalachian-orthodox-music/

When I think Appalachian, I think bluegrass, but if this is Appalachian, I like it.  (I also like bluegrass, but for different reasons)

This kind of sounds like Appalachian shape-note music, which I think is William's point of reference.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline ZealousZeal

• Ima Xanthippe
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #46 on: Yesterday at 06:49:16 PM »
It were easier for a Juggalo to pass a urine test than for a Jars of Clay fan to enter the Kingdom of Heaven.

Once in my youthful folly I attended a Third Day concert with my friends, who were super psyched. It was, hands down, the most boring show I've ever attended, and I once saw the band that provided the rap backing for that one Evanescence song. If the Devil's plan was to destroy worship through rock music, he decided to do it in a very sneaky way — instead of making it openly irreverent, he just took the joy out of it.

Someone has a picture of me sleeping during that show. It was a pity, because the way it was hyped I was convinced it was going to be an another-level experience.

I saw Third Day at Kingdom Bound: a multi-day Christian music festival held at a Six Flags. It's exactly what you're imagining it to be. I saw Jars of Clay at some show they did in a church.
Bad times, hard times, this is what people keep saying; but let us live well, and times shall be good. We are the times: Such as we are, such are the times. -St. Augustine

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #47 on: Yesterday at 06:58:21 PM »
Cain offered God vegetables, and it wasn't what He wanted. It didn't count.
Are you open to the idea that the problem was not the species of the offering  (veggies vs. meat) but rather the quality of the offering (Abel offered first fruits of the first fruits, Cain did not)?

The analogy is apt either way  ;)
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Taxiarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #48 on: Yesterday at 07:14:04 PM »
Are you open to the idea that the problem was not the species of the offering  (veggies vs. meat) but rather the quality of the offering (Abel offered first fruits of the first fruits, Cain did not)?

Not quite. Rock has its firstfruits, Christian rock bands aren't it.
Dear God, please force me to salvation and together with me as many people as possible.

Vote for a Ministry section on OC.net

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #49 on: Yesterday at 07:39:28 PM »
... go to Third Day ... worship concerts background

Once in my youthful folly I attended a Third Day concert with my friends, who were super psyched. It was, hands down, the most boring show I've ever attended, and I once saw the band that provided the rap backing for that one Evanescence song. If the Devil's plan was to destroy worship through rock music, he decided to do it in a very sneaky way — instead of making it openly irreverent, he just took the joy out of it.

Someone has a picture of me sleeping during that show. It was a pity, because the way it was hyped I was convinced it was going to be an another-level experience.

Anyway, coming around to the OP: I'm not sure something alien to an experience can be defined against it. Can you listen to it? Sure. Should you? Dunno. I sometimes still listen to Rich Mullins.

I think Nick's answer here:

But because liturgical practice gathers together the works of generations, it would have to slowly enter, and then fit in as part of the whole musical tradition. That would take time.

Now, we also play extra-liturgical music at feasts, like carols, folk music, etc. If you could somehow have a de-smarmed, quality rock performance, go for it. Although I don't think you'd call it Christian rock at that point.

...is about right in the context of the corporate life of the Church.

About 20 years ago, my foster parents asked if I wanted to attend "Spirit West Coast" with all these rock bands.  I looked into it and thought, uhhhh...no thanks.   ;)

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #50 on: Yesterday at 07:44:50 PM »

That was my point
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Online Tonedawg

• Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox
« Reply #51 on: Yesterday at 08:00:51 PM »
Regarding the original post, please listen to what the late Fr. Tom Hopko said: http://youtu.be/4bTFrB7atNM

Offline NicholasMyra

• Taxiarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #52 on: Today at 01:32:27 AM »

That was my point
But there is a difference, because the first fruits of rock music might be considerable.
Dear God, please force me to salvation and together with me as many people as possible.

Vote for a Ministry section on OC.net

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #53 on: Today at 01:42:05 AM »
Yes, I know there is a considerable difference in interpretation, but whether Christian rock is not acceptable because of its "rock-ness" or "quality", it uses the same story as analogy, hence my point of "aptness".

In my opinion though, I don't think rock is ever acceptable for liturgy, whether or not the quality is good.
« Last Edit: Today at 01:43:09 AM by minasoliman »

Online Daedelus1138

• High Elder
« Reply #54 on: Today at 02:49:24 AM »
I instinctively cringe if I hear an organ during a service. 

Anyway, one should always allow the culture to try and present music within the scope of the rules.  Here is some beautiful liturgical music done in the tradition of Appalachian music:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c04QTftw4X4

I highly doubt a rock beat is acceptable, it's not like Polish music would put a polka beat on worship music or the Viennese would put a waltz on it, or the Syrians a debke
Appalachian?

I have that album...  It's very beautiful but it just sounds like well-done, contemporary American Orthodox chant. 

Musical instruments in an Orthodox church is just a bad idea.   

I like organs in western Christian services but typically, the organ is too loud or oversized.  Even a guitar or piano can sound nice.  But that's where I draw the line.   

It's fortunate that the local Lutheran church I attend has a deacon who is also good at chanting.  At times it reminds me of my experiences in the Orthodox church.
« Last Edit: Today at 02:57:24 AM by Daedelus1138 »