Author Topic: Islam  (Read 938 times)

Offline efthimios

Islam
« on: January 11, 2016, 12:04:48 AM »
I have been watching many interesting Christian vs islamic debates on youtube.  I highly recommend listening to David Wood, he is amazing.

Its amazing what muslims follow so passionately. I am not sure how familiar you are all with the Quran, but I have started researching alot about what they believe in the Bible vs the Quran.

The biggest difference I feel is how muslims and the Quran say God tricked the people to think Jesus was crucified, but was not- and that Jesus is not the son of God, and is not God, but just a prophet which was lower than Mohammad. Baiscally, it erased the entire new testament and covenant that Jesus established as our Christ.

I thought about this more and more- and realized- what better way for Satan to decieve people- Mohammad said he had a revelation from the Archangel Gabriel- Interestingly if you look up Galatians 1:8

Galatians 1:8New International Version (NIV)

8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse!

Also another comment Muslims have is that Jesus is not God. They dont understand how we believe in a trinity, but they are all one.

God bless you all
In Christ +

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
Re: Islam
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 12:42:27 AM »

IIRC, Muhammad didn't know where his visions came from...but, when he explained them to his wife, she being of Orthodoxy origin gave him the idea that it must be the Archangel Gabriel.

I think when Moses heard God, he knew...right away...that it was God.  When people gazed upon him, his hair was white and he seemed to glow.  Anyone hear whether Muhammad glowed? 
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
  • I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 01:23:19 AM »

IIRC, Muhammad didn't know where his visions came from...but, when he explained them to his wife, she being of Orthodoxy origin gave him the idea that it must be the Archangel Gabriel.

I think when Moses heard God, he knew...right away...that it was God.  When people gazed upon him, his hair was white and he seemed to glow.  Anyone hear whether Muhammad glowed?

Did Joseph glow after he had a visit from an angel?  I don't think the Scripture mentions it....hmm....how disconcerting.
"Homosexuality has been a popular topic, but not Satanic trances."

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 01:34:53 AM »

Did Joseph glow after he had a visit from an angel?  I don't think the Scripture mentions it....hmm....how disconcerting.

Perhaps Joseph didn't glow, but he certainly didn't doubt the source of his message. 
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 01:37:40 AM »

Perhaps Joseph didn't glow, but he certainly didn't doubt the source of his message.

Are you familiar with Gideon? 

Offline NicholasMyra

• Automated Kibitz Machine
  • Taxiarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: My heart belongs to my conjoined twin
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 01:39:10 AM »
What about that icon though
According to clock time and calendar time the approval of threads may seem to be long delayed, but in sacred time it is always near at hand, always imminent.
Vote for a Ministry section on OC.net

Offline RaphaCam

• Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Rio de Janeiro & OR (POC)
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 01:44:51 AM »
The idea of Allah tricking people into believing they had killed Jesus not only creates the idea of a lying God, but it is also pretty funny how Allah would have himself emulated the event that would set up one of the most essential tenets of idolater, messenger-worshipping Christendom. Some Muslims may say Christianity wasn't 100% bad, since Arianists might be saved hanifs, but I'm pretty sure they prayed to the Son.

"But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed." (Galatians 1:8 )
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 01:45:05 AM by RaphaCam »
Lift up your heads, O ye gates; even lift them up, ye everlasting doors; and the King of glory shall come in.

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 05:10:17 AM »
As opposed to God's appointed prophet tricking people*

*See Abraham and Pharaoh

*See Abraham and Abimelech

Offline Vanhyo

• Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Bulgaria
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 07:11:53 AM »
David Wood is very schooled scholastic, i am afraid however that he preaches a distorted gospel.

It is very easy for a dedicated Orthodox Christian to know that islam is diabolical cult that preaches & spreads the kingdom of the devil.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • OC.net guru
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 07:36:03 AM »
The idea of Allah tricking people into believing they had killed Jesus not only creates the idea of a lying God, but it is also pretty funny how Allah would have himself emulated the event that would set up one of the most essential tenets of idolater, messenger-worshipping Christendom. Some Muslims may say Christianity wasn't 100% bad, since Arianists might be saved hanifs, but I'm pretty sure they prayed to the Son.

"But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed." (Galatians 1:8 )

I remember from lessons about Islam at my University that there is saying (frnaly speaking, don't remember if it's from Quran) "Don't try deceive (overreach) God, because He is the greatest swindler".
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 11:28:04 AM »

Joseph may have doubted the virginity of his betrothed...even upon hearing God tell him otherwise.

How often do we doubt our faith...knowing full well we are following God and His teachings....and yet...we doubt.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline RaphaCam

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 01:05:57 PM »

*See Abraham and Pharaoh

So you get it's not the same.  :P
Lift up your heads, O ye gates; even lift them up, ye everlasting doors; and the King of glory shall come in.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
  • This dog's body intentionally left blank
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 01:24:29 PM »

I remember from lessons about Islam at my University that there is saying (frnaly speaking, don't remember if it's from Quran) "Don't try deceive (overreach) God, because He is the greatest swindler".

Please find out if it's from the Quran and, if so, post it in the Quranic Quotable Quotes thread. 

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 03:44:22 PM »

*See Abraham and Pharaoh

So you get it's not the same.  :P

You're right: it's worse

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2016, 03:45:02 PM »

Joseph may have doubted the virginity of his betrothed...even upon hearing God tell him otherwise.

How often do we doubt our faith...knowing full well we are following God and His teachings....and yet...we doubt.

So in other words, if you just believe God is a liar, that's much, much better than wondering if you're really hearing a message from God.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Humble Servant and Spokesperson of the Fourteenth Apostle
  • Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 04:02:00 PM »
What icon?
Quote from: King Olav Tryggvasson
I order you and all your subjects to be baptized. If you refuse, I'll have you killed on the spot and I swear I will ravage every island with fire and steel.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 04:03:09 PM »

*See Abraham and Pharaoh

Did God tell Abraham to deceive Abimelech?
I order you and all your subjects to be baptized. If you refuse, I'll have you killed on the spot and I swear I will ravage every island with fire and steel.

Offline William T

• High Elder
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2016, 04:25:11 PM »
What icon?

At the bottom St. Joseph is being tempted.
"Puritanism: the haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy"

H.L. Mencken

Offline rakovsky

• Taxiarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2016, 04:41:58 PM »
What icon?

19 Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not wanting to make her a public example, was minded to put her away secretly. 20 But while he thought about these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream
So the devil could have been tempting Joseph before Joseph's vision of the angel, but after the vision the temptation ended.

An argument is sometimes made that the angel didn't really appear to Mary in such a clear and obviously supernatural way (eg. a semi-human appearing and talking at length to her with normal speech) because later on the gospel story says that Mary thought Jesus was being crazy when he preached and wanted him to come home.

(Mark 3:20-32):
  • When his family heard about this, they went to take charge of him, for they said, "He is out of his mind." ... Then Jesus' mother and brothers arrived. Standing outside, they sent someone in to call him.

That is, if the appearance and monologue from the angel about Jesus saving Israel were so clear, mind-blowing and real, along with the virgin birth story itself, Mary wouldn't be thinking Jesus was crazy for preaching.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 04:48:52 PM by rakovsky »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2016, 04:42:35 PM »
What icon?

Thank you.  :)

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2016, 05:13:35 PM »

*See Abraham and Pharaoh

God punished both Pharaoh and Abimelech because of Abraham's deceit.

Offline William T

• High Elder
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2016, 05:16:44 PM »
What icon?

19 Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not wanting to make her a public example, was minded to put her away secretly. 20 But while he thought about these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream
So the devil could have been tempting Joseph before Joseph's vision of the angel, but after the vision the temptation ended.

An argument is sometimes made that the angel didn't really appear to Mary in such a clear and obviously supernatural way (eg. a semi-human appearing and talking at length to her with normal speech) because later on the gospel story says that Mary thought Jesus was being crazy when he preached and wanted him to come home.

(Mark 3:20-32):
  • When his family heard about this, they went to take charge of him, for they said, "He is out of his mind." ... Then Jesus' mother and brothers arrived. Standing outside, they sent someone in to call him.

That is, if the appearance and monologue from the angel about Jesus saving Israel were so clear, mind-blowing and real, along with the virgin birth story itself, Mary wouldn't be thinking Jesus was crazy for preaching.

Icon explained:
http://ourorthodoxlife.blogspot.com/2010/12/nativity-icon-explained.html?m=1

You can do more searches if you want.  I'm  sure other stuff will get more in depth.
"Puritanism: the haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy"

H.L. Mencken

Offline WPM

• Revolutionary Writer
  • Archon
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2016, 05:28:25 PM »
No, I don't agree with this because this is what happens when people trying to analyze the mental state. Would you mind telling me why you think this is a psychiatric disorder when there isn't even anything wrong? ... Thanks. (Or you can tell me why you "think" this is crazy in someway? ... There are psychiatric disorders but not exactly sure why I was diagnosed with one. People on the Internet have no business analyzing or psychoanalyze my mindset.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2016, 05:28:38 PM »

*See Abraham and Pharaoh

Was it punishment or was it warning and instruction? I don't see where God punished either of them.

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2016, 05:36:12 PM »

*See Abraham and Pharaoh

Was it punishment or was it warning and instruction? I don't see where God punished either of them.

Genesis chapter 20, verses 17 and 18 (from the NIV, because I have one next to me): "Then Abraham prayed to God, and God healed Abimelech, his wife and his slave girls so they could have children again, for the LORD had closed up every womb in Abimelech's household because of Abraham's wife Sarah."

Genesis chapter 12, verse 17: "But the LORD inflicted serious diseases on Pharaoh and his household because of Abram's wife Sarai."

Unless, of course, you don't think having the wombs of all the women around you "closed up," nor having "serious diseases" inflicted upon your entire household are punishments.

Also, how was it "warning or instruction"?  In the case in Egypt, Abram and Sarai lied and said they were siblings, instead of spouses.  This resulted, evidently, in Pharaoh wanting to take Sarai for his wife.  There's no indication that Pharaoh would have taken Sarai as his wife had he known she was Abram's wife.

In the case of Abimilech, God did warn Abimilech in a dream, that Sarah was Abraham's wife, before anything happened.  At which point Abimilech immediately decided to return Sarah to Abraham, and yet God also closed up the womb of his wife.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 05:38:51 PM by JamesRottnek »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2016, 05:43:36 PM »
Well, the OT in general is pretty hardcore. Nothing goes over lightly in there. If I was going to start picking passages to complain about God about, those are pretty tame. All He did was make life uncomfortable for Pharaoh and Abimelech so they wouldn't sleep with Sarai which appears to have worked.

Offline Vanhyo

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2016, 05:56:45 PM »

*See Abraham and Pharaoh

Pharaoh was wicked and impious person, even so God warned him instead of smiting him right away

Abraham's "deceit" was a defensive reaction that meant no evil.

The OT is not evil or hard, its demonic modernism that have intoxicated people's minds so they have become senseless.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 05:59:59 PM by Vanhyo »

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2016, 06:06:03 PM »

*See Abraham and Pharaoh

Pharaoh was wicked and impious person, even so God warned him instead of smiting him right away

The OT is not evil or hard, its demonic modernism that have intoxicated people's minds so they have become senseless.

"Thou shalt not lie, except for sometimes, when you think it's a good idea" ?

And the Pharaoh of Abraham's time is not mentioned as being a bad person.

Offline rakovsky

• Taxiarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2016, 06:13:56 PM »
The OT is not ...hard, its demonic modernism that have intoxicated people's minds so they have become senseless.

What do you think of the potential abortion verses of the "trial by poison" or "Ordeal of the Bitter Water" in Numbers 5:

• 25 Then the priest shall take the grain offering of jealousy from the woman’s hand, shall wave the offering before the Lord, and bring it to the altar;
    26 and the priest shall take a handful of the offering, as its memorial portion, burn it on the altar, and afterward make the woman drink the water.
    27 When he has made her drink the water, then it shall be, if she has defiled herself and behaved unfaithfully toward her husband, that the water that brings a curse will enter her and become bitter, and her belly will swell, her thigh will rot, and the woman will become a curse among her people.
    28 But if the woman has not defiled herself, and is clean, then she shall be free and may conceive children.

...some early Christian legends embroider the life of Mary, mother of Jesus with accounts including Mary undergoing the ordeal.

Abortion interpretation

Several [Protestant] commentaries on the Bible maintain that the ordeal is to be applied in the case of a woman who has become pregnant, allegedly by her lover.[13][29] One reading is that the ordeal results in a prolapsed uterus if she is guilty.[30] Some interpretations of the ordeal describe the bitter potion as an abortifacient, which induces a purposeful abortion or miscarriage if the woman is pregnant with another man's child, and which confirms her innocence if no miscarriage is observed.
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Numbers+5%3A11-31

The Annunciation to the Theotokos, The Ordeal, The Flight into Egypt
Annunciation, Ordeal, Flight; ivory, 6th c. eastern Mediterranean
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 06:16:03 PM by rakovsky »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Pseudo-Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2016, 06:21:36 PM »

Can I stone you to death next time you wear a polycotton blend?
Is that what they teach you at the temple volnutt-stein?

Actually, it's Volnutt-berg.

Rome doesn't care. Rome is actually very cool guy.

Offline rakovsky

• Taxiarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2016, 06:22:17 PM »
Here is an ikon of the Theotokos being poisoned as per the Torah:

Is it just my "modernism" that makes me dislike this part of the Torah?

The fresco below left showing the Trial by Bitter Water comes from the church of Santa Maria foris portas in Castelseprio, Lombardy.
http://www.arts.magic-nation.co.uk/annunciation23.htm
Pseudo-Matthew and the Protoevangelium of James describe her undergoing this and are quoted in the link above.

Offline Vanhyo

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2016, 07:33:38 AM »
Is it just my "modernism" that makes me dislike this part of the Torah?

[/quote]
not "yours" it is environmental intoxication, everyone is affected more or less by it, some people might say that the OT is hard but the reality is that we are the ones who are hard, and often read the text and judge it as a devil would so.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 07:34:17 AM by Vanhyo »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Pseudo-Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2016, 07:43:22 AM »

*See Abraham and Pharaoh

Then the king of Egypt summoned the midwives and asked them, “Why have you done this? Why have you let the boys live?” The midwives answered Pharaoh, “Hebrew women are not like Egyptian women; they are vigorous and give birth before the midwives arrive.” So God was kind to the midwives and the people increased and became even more numerous. And because the midwives feared God, he gave them families of their own. -Exodus 1:18-21
Is that what they teach you at the temple volnutt-stein?

Actually, it's Volnutt-berg.

Rome doesn't care. Rome is actually very cool guy.

Offline Vanhyo

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2016, 09:29:39 AM »
Abraham did NOT lie there.

If i remember correctly, pharaoh of abraham's time would kill the man who has beautiful wife, so he can take his wife.
Needless to say what kind of low thugster mentality someone need to have in order to do something like this.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 09:30:10 AM by Vanhyo »

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • This will have been fun.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2016, 09:50:42 AM »
Well, the OT in general is pretty hardcore. Nothing goes over lightly in there. If I was going to start picking passages to complain about God about, those are pretty tame. All He did was make life uncomfortable for Pharaoh and Abimelech so they wouldn't sleep with Sarai which appears to have worked.

The OT is one big cautionary tale. 'This is what havoc ensues when people do the wrong thing', over and over and over.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline wgw

• Protokentarchos
  • The above Syriac icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Jurisdiction: Syriac Orthodox Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2016, 10:05:34 AM »

The OT is one big cautionary tale. 'This is what havoc ensues when people do the wrong thing', over and over and over.

Indeed.  It seems a comment on the recurrent nature of sin, which seems cyclical.  We keep sinning,  repetitively, suffer, and then our Lord in effect opts to condescend to save us from ourselves, in person, both paying the price for our transgressions, and taking our fallen humanity onto Himself and glorifying it.  If it weren't for our Lord we would be quite literally out of luck.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2016, 02:33:49 PM »

*See Abraham and Pharaoh

The Ten Commandments don't say, "Thou shalt not lie". They say, "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor."
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2016, 02:36:39 PM »

*See Abraham and Pharaoh

Then the king of Egypt summoned the midwives and asked them, “Why have you done this? Why have you let the boys live?” The midwives answered Pharaoh, “Hebrew women are not like Egyptian women; they are vigorous and give birth before the midwives arrive.” So God was kind to the midwives and the people increased and became even more numerous. And because the midwives feared God, he gave them families of their own. -Exodus 1:18-21
I hope you realize that the Pharaoh at the time of Moses' birth was several centuries removed from the Pharaoh Abraham knew.
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Koliva

• Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Alexandria & All Africa
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2016, 02:48:47 PM »
David Wood is a good apologist, as is Sam Shamoun.

Lots of things to dislike about Islam but what irks me the most is their view of nature of God. The Islamic god is a schizophrenic who's judgment is completely arbitrary. He's not holy, just and righteous like our Lord Almighty.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • From the Land of 10,000 Lakes
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2016, 03:27:27 PM »
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline RaphaCam

« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2016, 08:09:26 PM »

Sam Shamoun's site is amazing, it just blows up all Islamic apology, but I'm worried that sometimes he seems to seek contradictions where they do not exist, or he might even contrast apparently opposing Islamic statements shared with Christianity... Really good overall, though.

Offline wgw

• Protokentarchos
  • The above Syriac icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Jurisdiction: Syriac Orthodox Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2016, 10:09:30 AM »

Lots of things to dislike about Islam but what irks me the most is their view of nature of God. The Islamic god is a schizophrenic who's judgment is completely arbitrary. He's not holy, just and righteous like our Lord Almighty.

This is a valid point.  Such arbitrary cruelty is diabolical; I am convinced that "Jibreel" was a demon.