Author Topic: Did anyone watch the royal wedding?  (Read 952 times)

Offline maneki_neko

• Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolitanate of Singapore and SEA
Did anyone watch the royal wedding?
« on: May 19, 2018, 09:42:34 AM »
Hi guys, I'm new to Orthodoxy and was raised low church evangelical so I really have no bearing on what High Church CoE traditionally looks like. I watched the Royal Wedding (Prince Harry and American actress Meghan Markle) and thought it was beautiful for a secular wedding, but not so sure about the religious aspect of it.

I've heard that at one point traditional Anglicanism and Orthodoxy were very close, so I'm just curious to compare/contrast the things they changed in this service. What would or wouldn't be compatible with an Orthodox wedding service?

Also, does anyone know why they invited the Coptic Orthodox Archbishop to speak?
主哀れめよ!

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
Re: Did anyone watch the royal wedding?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 10:22:23 AM »
Could be something Coptic or might be the St. Anthony's Desert Fathers Monastery.
Learn meditation.

Offline BrotherInChrist

• Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Church
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 10:25:01 AM »
I didn't watch it, I just wasn't interested in it. Maybe it's because I'm not British.

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 12:14:18 PM »
Why do you call it a secular wedding?  It took place in an Anglican Cathedral.
The Anglican church grew out of the Roman Catholic = Western Christian tradition so it is not similar to an Orthodox service with the crowning.   

Interesting that the bride chose to be baptised and chrismated in the Anglican Church before the wedding although it was not a requirement per se since Prince Harry is a member of the Anglican Church in good standing.

Online Jackson02

• High Elder
  • St. Joseph of Petrograd pray to God for us!
  • Faith: Genuine Orthodox Church
  • Jurisdiction: Inquiring
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 12:52:38 PM »
I don't care for that stuff.
IC XC
NI KA

Online Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 01:00:28 PM »
Did not watch it.

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Care to join me in a maniacal laughter?
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 01:05:52 PM »
Interesting that the bride chose to be baptised and chrismated in the Anglican Church before the wedding although it was not a requirement per se since Prince Harry is a member of the Anglican Church in good standing.

Members of the royal family are definitely required to be members of the Anglican Church, seeing as the reigning monarch is also head of the AC.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 02:40:39 PM »
Well, I was just surprised that she was not already baptised.  is this becoming the new norm in the USA?

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 02:42:27 PM »
Between the completely irreligious and the adult-baptisers, that's hardly news.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Antonis said I'm not Christian, so...
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 02:47:07 PM »
I saw clips of it on the news. Tried to stay up late enough to see the original airing, but couldn't.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

And you'll sleep, but they'll find you

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

London is drowning, and I live by the river

https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Offline JTLoganville

• Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2018, 03:27:47 PM »
Between the completely irreligious and the adult-baptisers, that's hardly news.

Not to mention the increasing frequent heterodox ceremonies which use a name other than "Father, Son, and Holy Spirit" --"Creator, Redeemer, Sanctifier" for example--or, in the case of some megachurches, simply immerse the candidate with no words at all.

Those are not valid Baptisms!

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2018, 03:41:44 PM »
Well she does have an "Orthodox" connection through her uncle:

EXCLUSIVE:
Harry's girlfriend Meghan Markle's uncle is a bishop leading his OWN church - just like Prince's grandmother the Queen who is head of the Church of England (but she's got better buildings)
Meghan Markle's uncle, Frederick Markle, 75, is the leader of the Eastern Orthodox Catholic Church in America, DailyMail.com has learned
The clergyman goes by the title Bishop Dismas and runs a single tumbledown chapel in Sanford, Florida, which is described as following Orthodox tradition
He is related to the Suits star via his brother, Thomas Wayne Markle, 72, who is the actress's father.
Close friend Barry Sterner said the reclusive Markle may be the only person who still attends the church, whose roots go back to the 1930s
In contrast Prince Harry's grandmother Queen Elizabeth II is Supreme Governor of the Church of England, with an estimated one million weekly worshipers
Harry's other link to the Orthodox faith is via his grandfather Prince Philip, who was baptized and brought up Orthdox and whose mother became a nun

CHURCH OF MARKLE
History: Established mid-1980s by Fred Markle
Membership: Unclear and could be as low as one - was around 40 in the past but has since dwindled.
Supreme leader: Frederick, Bishop Ditmas, Markle
Buildings: One well-kept small church off a country lane in Sanford, Florida. A second registered address is abandoned. A previous church is now under a tollbooth on a new road through central Florida 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4686858/Meghan-Markle-s-uncle-bishop-church.html

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2018, 03:45:05 PM »
Well that's depressing. I wonder if he's going to show up on her doorstep trying to get royal endorsement now. Orthodox England, indeed.

Meaghan's father is Episcopalian but her parents divorced when she was young. No telling how she was raised.

Now we need Tallitot to come and really make this thread hop ;D
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 03:46:37 PM by Volnutt »
It's the double-edged sword of being lazy and being bored.- Reliant K

The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2018, 06:32:24 PM »
Just a bit. It was broadcasted on Polish national TV  :o

Also, does anyone know why they invited the Coptic Orthodox Archbishop to speak?

Yes: https://www.facebook.com/WeLoveMarrickville/videos/650684325323898/?hc_ref=ARTKVF_8XQ2wII67r7pf8NZ5WnAG6OsVvo6hOxoQt1JJclHnbzERgU-YDmv33FQwyH8
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2018, 06:59:42 PM »
Well she does have an "Orthodox" connection through her uncle:

She'll have more substantial Orthodox connections through her in-laws. :)

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2018, 11:59:30 PM »
I did not watch it, but I did listen to it live on the BBC early this morning (because I accidentally left my radio on last night). I liked the Baptist preacher's sermon about Love and I was surprised that it was Bishop Angaelos who recited the Lord's Prayer (he was only named afterward). I do not have additional comments.
If you cannot remember everything, instead of everything, I beg you, remember this without fail, that not to share our own wealth with the poor is theft from the poor and deprivation of their means of life; we do not possess our own wealth but theirs.  If we have this attitude, we will certainly offer our money; and by nourishing Christ in poverty here and laying up great profit hereafter, we will be able to attain the good things which are to come. - St. John Chrysostom

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2018, 12:04:36 AM »
I did not watch it, but I did listen to it live on the BBC early this morning (because I accidentally left my radio on last night). I liked the Baptist preacher's sermon about Love and I was surprised that it was Bishop Angaelos who recited the Lord's Prayer (he was only named afterward). I do not have additional comments.

So I guess they were just trying to be as big tent non-denom as possible with the speakers?

The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!

Offline Brilko

• Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: ?
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2018, 04:38:46 AM »
This chick dumps me to marry that dweeb and I’m gonna watch her wedding? Knot!

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2018, 05:55:02 AM »
This chick dumps me to marry that dweeb

And what a wise decision it was, too!

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline maneki_neko

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2018, 10:01:29 AM »
Why do you call it a secular wedding?  It took place in an Anglican Cathedral.

I understand that, but with the permission of secular music being part of the ceremony, participation of non-ordained people and those ordained outside of the CoE, and other changes being made to accommodate the couple's tastes I wasn't sure.

So basically as long as their clergy approves it all, it's still considered a religious wedding? I'm not trying to sound asinine, just trying to understand. 

Yes: https://www.facebook.com/WeLoveMarrickville/videos/650684325323898/?hc_ref=ARTKVF_8XQ2wII67r7pf8NZ5WnAG6OsVvo6hOxoQt1JJclHnbzERgU-YDmv33FQwyH8
The link just says that he's from an Australian town, which as far as I know has no direct connection to the couple.

I liked the Baptist preacher's sermon about Love and I was surprised that it was Bishop Angaelos who recited the Lord's Prayer (he was only named afterward).

I had mixed feelings about the sermon (he's actually Episcopalian, somewhat surprisingly). And yes I'd love to find out why Bishop Angealos was invited (no complaints, just interested).

Well, I was just surprised that she was not already baptised.  is this becoming the new norm in the USA?

It's relatively normal I think, especially since Meghan grew up some kind of Protestant (attended an RC high school though). Among some modern Protestants they don't push Baptism because of the belief it's only symbolic, and only permit it among adults anyway.

So I guess they were just trying to be as big tent non-denom as possible with the speakers?

Well that's what I thought too, but then why not invite a RC priest (who surely has larger numbers and a cultural UK tie with Ireland) and/or an EO priest (family connection through Prince Philip)?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 10:05:04 AM by maneki_neko »
主哀れめよ!

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2018, 10:24:18 AM »
why not invite a RC priest

British royalty and the RCC don't mix well.

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline maneki_neko

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2018, 11:05:37 AM »

Good point.
主哀れめよ!

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
    • USCJ
  • Faith: Jewish(Conservative)
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2018, 02:33:45 PM »
i guess since he's black he must be baptist?-of course.
Actually he's the Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church in the USA.
Proverbs 22:7

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
    • USCJ
  • Faith: Jewish(Conservative)
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2018, 02:36:20 PM »
Members of the royal family are definitely required to be members of the Anglican Church, seeing as the reigning monarch is also head of the AC.
Not by law, only by custom.
Proverbs 22:7

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2018, 03:01:12 PM »

Ah, ok. I didn't watch it.

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2018, 09:37:49 PM »
Most of his extended family is Baptist, with a few Holiness and Pentecostals thrown in for good measure. His father was an Episcopal priest.
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline maneki_neko

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2018, 10:42:27 PM »
Most of his extended family is Baptist, with a few Holiness and Pentecostals thrown in for good measure. His father was an Episcopal priest.

I think the assumption has to do with his preaching style more than anything else. Both black and white southern ministers tend to have a very distinct delivery. And seeing how he has such family members in his background, it makes sense.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 10:44:48 PM by maneki_neko »
主哀れめよ!

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2018, 01:23:58 AM »
They should have called a Provo priest to "bless" the marriage.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2018, 03:51:23 AM »
Heh, the first place my mind went was "Provo, Utah" and Mormons.

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2018, 04:47:09 AM »
They should have called a Provo priest to "bless" the marriage.

The species is extinct.

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2018, 05:17:19 AM »
The species is extinct.
The species stopped adding new individuals to its ranks, but some from the old days are definitely still alive and going. Like most kinds of Roman Catholic priests, TBH.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2018, 05:20:51 AM »
The species is extinct.
The species stopped adding new individuals to its ranks, but some from the old days are definitely still alive and going. Like most kinds of Roman Catholic priests, TBH.

None that would admit it today, though, so, for all intents and purposes, extinct.

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2018, 05:33:31 AM »
The Provos did what they were supposed to do and then evolved into a respectable political party.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 05:35:17 AM by Iconodule »
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2018, 05:54:35 AM »
The Provos did what they were supposed to do and then evolved into a respectable political party.
According to themselves, they were supposed to kill Margaret Thatcher and unify Ireland, so technically they didn't do all they were supposed to.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 05:55:13 AM by RaphaCam »

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2018, 06:04:25 AM »
According to themselves, they were supposed to kill Margaret Thatcher and unify Ireland, so technically they didn't do all they were supposed to.

Well, no, but the leadership recognized the limitations of the guerilla, abstentionist approach. They were very savvy about their actions; toward the end, a lot more targeting of unoccupied buildings or mortar strikes on empty Heathrow runways, just enough to cause chaos and consternation without killing anyone. Compare with the approach of the Loyalist militias who were just mindless thugs to the end. The Good Friday Agreement gave the Irish republicans a lot of political gains which they now are exploiting in Sinn Fein. No one knows if/ when Ireland will be unified but they have a much better chance of it now.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 06:05:22 AM by Iconodule »
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2018, 04:46:59 PM »
Well, no, but the leadership recognized the limitations of the guerilla, abstentionist approach. They were very savvy about their actions; toward the end, a lot more targeting of unoccupied buildings or mortar strikes on empty Heathrow runways, just enough to cause chaos and consternation without killing anyone. Compare with the approach of the Loyalist militias who were just mindless thugs to the end. The Good Friday Agreement gave the Irish republicans a lot of political gains which they now are exploiting in Sinn Fein. No one knows if/ when Ireland will be unified but they have a much better chance of it now.
I agree with you fully, I was just trying to appear edgy.

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2018, 05:16:18 PM »
I for one spontaneously grew a 5-inch hair fringe while reading it.

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2018, 12:33:48 PM »
I watched it for the hats.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: Yekmalian Monoculture
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2018, 02:00:22 PM »

How Latvian of you!
Mor Ephrem is a nice guy.  Just say sorry and it will all be ok. Say I had things that were inside troubling me but I didn't know how to express appropriately. I will not behave that way again but I am seeking help.

thank you so much Mor ephrem you are a hero!

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2018, 03:27:02 PM »

How Latvian of you!
Even though I was married by a bare-headed Latvian (Memory Eternal!).
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Faith: Finnish Orthodox
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2018, 04:18:36 PM »

Huh? Is it still a taboo?
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2018, 04:24:15 PM »

Of course. The law was only repealed in 2013, and that only regarding spouses.

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • If you die before you die, then you will not die
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2018, 07:49:15 PM »
All i saw was the greek chief with a 12x12 greek flag on his chest.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Faith: Finnish Orthodox
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2018, 08:51:54 AM »

What law? Prohibition to invite Catholics for a friendly visit?
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2018, 10:07:05 AM »

What law? Prohibition to invite Catholics for a friendly visit?

Prohibition to have anything to do with Catholicism while royal. Anyone who converted or married a Catholic lost their rights to succession. Since 2013 they can marry Catholics but still not become such or raise their children so. A royal wedding is a public statement, not a cosy gathering among friends.

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~