OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 02:30:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Freemasons  (Read 270 times) Average Rating: 0
andrewlya
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Christianity is not a religion,it is a relationship with God

Christian all my life and is still learning

« on: Yesterday at 05:22:29 PM »

Hi all,

my mate has become a member of Freemasons. He said that they are just normal organisation and do a lot for community etc There is nothing dodgy about them, they try to disperse theese conspiracy theories and rumours about them.

He asked me to join, but I know I won't as as fas as I know Christians are not allowed to join, is it right?

Also, why is Freemasons are so involved in rumours and conspiracy theorieries? What is so dodgy about being a Freemason?

I believe in one God the Father and His Son the Messiah, the Savior of all the people
Rambam
High Elder

Faith: Check
Jurisdiction: I'm color blind

« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 05:33:53 PM »

Except for the blood-soaked oaths you have to make, it's a lot like joining the Rotary or a food-coop. Except some Rotary clubs and food coops actually extract blood from your wallet, so I'm not sure if Masonry is even all that gruesome, comparatively.

Hi all,

my mate has become a member of Freemasons. He said that they are just normal organisation and do a lot for community etc There is nothing dodgy about them, they try to disperse theese conspiracy theories and rumours about them.

He asked me to join, but I know I won't as as fas as I know Christians are not allowed to join, is it right?

Also, why is Freemasons are so involved in rumours and conspiracy theorieries? What is so dodgy about being a Freemason?
andrewlya
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Christianity is not a religion,it is a relationship with God

Christian all my life and is still learning

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 06:35:54 PM »

So, the conspiracy theories about them are just hearsay?

I believe in one God the Father and His Son the Messiah, the Savior of all the people
Rambam
High Elder

Faith: Check
Jurisdiction: I'm color blind

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 07:49:58 PM »

Conspiracy theories always are hearsay, aren't they? 

I don't know -- in the olden days, maybe there was something to "Masons run the world" paranoia. But today? you're more likely to run into a "Good Brother" at the local bowling alley than you are in the halls of power.

There'll always be someone who can point to a picture of Madonna dressed as Baphomet as evidence of an international Masonic conspiracy. But people also like Corn Nuts and PT Cruisers. There's no accounting for taste or opinion.

So, the conspiracy theories about them are just hearsay?

podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 07:53:49 PM »

It's been a long time since we had a Freemasons thread... Roll Eyes
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 07:54:30 PM »

It's been a long time since we had a Freemasons thread... Roll Eyes

Not long enough.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Yurysprudentsiya
Section Moderator
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA, although in my heart I will always remain a loving son of the UOC-USA

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 08:38:31 PM »

I have known a number of low-ranking Masons.  They are, as has been stated, a glorified Rotary lodge.  Most of them (except the French lodges, I think) require belief in a Supreme Being for membership.  They are basically Deist.  Whatever you believe about the Supreme Being beyond his existence is basically your business.  The modern Masonic movement appears to have started in English coffee houses in the late 17th and early 18th centuries.  They formulated around the idea that the builders of Solomon's Temple, in particular one Hiram Abiff, I think his name was, were possessed of certain esoteric knowledge which was passed down through the master craft guilds of the Middle Ages.  Many of the American founding fathers were members of the Masonic fraternity.  A lot of Protestants joined it in the 19th century and you frequently hear of Masonic graveside rites conducted at funerals along with Protestant prayers.  A lot of this is now, at least for most members, ritual cover for doing extremely good works and getting together with the lodge brothers.  There are some people, such as the late Albert Pike, I think it was, who took their "doctrines" to extremes and promulgated all sorts of weird pseudo-religious stuff from them, but his writings are not authoritative, and most Masons have no idea who he even was.

I had always heard that the main reason that the Catholics didn't permit their members to join the Masons was because they required secrecy and thus this prohibited a penitent from disclosing all things to his confessor.  I think that the pseudo-religious stuff was a secondary consideration, although it now seems to be primary, at least from the Orthodox perspective.

You're going to hear from all manner of posters here that lots of Greeks were either public or crypto Masons, and probably allegations, almost none of which can be substantially proven, that various hierarchs were, too.  You should also be aware that the Masons have a habit of making a prominent figure a Mason by sight, and this almost always happens with top political figures.  I equate this as the Sons of the American Revolution making such a person an honorary member as well by virtue of his office.  A woman whose husband or father is a Mason can join a sort of women's auxiliary called the Order of the Eastern Star.  Once a person is a Mason, he advances by degrees through the organization and is also then qualified to join other organizations, such as the Shriners, etc.  Those organizations are not strictly Masonic but their membership is limited to persons who are already Masons. 

Because of the pseudo-religious connotations and also, I think, because of the confession issue, an Orthodox Christian cannot become a Mason and remain an Orthodox Christian in good standing.  But I wouldn't make the leap from this, as some people do, that those "evil Masons" are subverting the Global World Order, or whatever is the current phraseology these days.  Unless by subverting the Global World Order you mean selling sandwiches and using the proceeds to fund children's hospitals.
Yurysprudentsiya
Section Moderator
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA, although in my heart I will always remain a loving son of the UOC-USA

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 08:41:49 PM »

Tell your friend, who is apparently new to all of this, that he shouldn't be asking you to join the Masons.

The Masons are not permitted to invite anyone to join their lodge.  It is one of their rules that a prospective member must first approach a Mason and ask if he wants to join.  Now, the Masonic friend can get around this by talking about how great the lodge is, how many friends he's made there, etc.  But he can't *ask* you to join.

You should tell him this so he doesn't get into trouble with them later.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: