OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 01:33:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rules and conduct while at another church  (Read 140 times) Average Rating: 0
Christos3

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

« on: July 28, 2014, 02:33:56 PM »

I will be attending a church service to see my niece perform some Christian songs. The family is Lutheran. What is proper conduct at for a visiting Orthodox Christian?

1. It's an open communion. Can I take Communion? Can I receive a blessing from the Pastor?

2. Is it ok to perform "the cross" after a prayer?

I rarely attend services at other churches unless it is a wedding or funeral. I went to a baptist service when I was a kid. I recall my Mom telling me not to take part in their version of communion (still don't know why).

TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 02:49:27 PM »

You should not take communion, even if the Pastor gives you a blessing to do so.  The Orthodox Church considers that to be a grave sin. The Eucharist is a visible sign of unity.  Since Orthodoxy is not in union with the Lutheran church, it is considered a sin to give the impression that we are unified with them.

There is nothing wrong with crossing yourself. Some Lutheran congregations cross themselves and others don't.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 03:07:25 PM »

I will be attending a church service to see my niece perform some Christian songs. The family is Lutheran. What is proper conduct at for a visiting Orthodox Christian?

1. It's an open communion. Can I take Communion? Can I receive a blessing from the Pastor?

No.  No.

When in doubt, ask your priest, but use your discretion if that is not possible for some reason.  Personally, I don't sign myself with the Cross during non-Orthodox services I have reason to attend.  Other than standing or sitting as appropriate, I simply observe.   

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 03:45:13 PM »

I rarely attend services at other churches unless it is a wedding or funeral. I went to a baptist service when I was a kid. I recall my Mom telling me not to take part in their version of communion (still don't know why).

As already stated, no communion except for in an Orthodox Church.

As far as making the sign of the cross, I see nothing wrong with it, but be prepared for people to give you an evil eye for doing something they consider "Romish."  To clarify further what TheTrisagion wrote, the vast majority of Lutheran congregations do NOT cross themselves.  You will find that more ELCA congregations will tend to cross themselves than LCMS congregations.  DO you know which the church belongs?

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 03:46:58 PM »

When I am at my wife's Methodist church, I cross myself any time they invoke the Trinity which is quite often actually.  I've never had anyone there make a big deal about it. I think it embarasses my wife a bit, but she has gotten used to it.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 03:53:14 PM »

When I am at my wife's Methodist church, I cross myself any time they invoke the Trinity which is quite often actually.  I've never had anyone there make a big deal about it. I think it embarasses my wife a bit, but she has gotten used to it.

Methodists don't have the same history with Rome as the Lutherans.  They have a tendency to become very defensive when they see anything that they perceive as Roman Catholic in their services even though the sign of the Cross was strongly defended by Luther himself.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 06:41:07 PM »

How to be arrogant

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: