Author Topic: Kierkegaard  (Read 29 times)

beebert and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online beebert

• Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Constantinople
Kierkegaard
« on: Today at 10:15:16 AM »
Hi everyone. I think Kierkegaard might have been the greatest christian philosopher(along with Augustine) that I have ever encountered. What is his relation to christian orthodoxy? How would the orthodox church view his writings and view on God, does anyone know? I believe his way of talking about faith and sin in books like Fear and Trembling, The concept of Anxiety and Sickness unto Death is spot on. Has anybody read or heard about him? What are your opinions?

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
Re: Kierkegaard
« Reply #1 on: Today at 10:30:40 AM »
You need to stop calling someone the greatest Christian philosopher if you haven't read all Christians' works.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Online beebert

• Elder
« Reply #2 on: Today at 10:37:14 AM »
You need to stop calling someone the greatest Christian philosopher if you haven't read all Christians' works.
I said the greatest I have encountered.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:39:04 AM »
So he's your favorite, not the greatest.

Given your own personal anxieties, you have a lot more to encounter.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Online beebert

• Elder
« Reply #4 on: Today at 10:43:10 AM »
So he's your favorite, not the greatest.

Given your own personal anxieties, you have a lot more to encounter.
He is the greatest I have encountered. I have encountered many greats. He is the greatest in my opinion of all I have encountered. No christian philosophers, like John Chryssostom, Augustine, Luther, Calvin, Saint Iranaeus have given me comfort like Kierkegaard. Isaac the Syrian seems great to me from the little I have read. But anyway, my question was about what people thought about Kierkegaard and his position in orthodoxy. Nothing wrong with that right?

Offline Diego

• Elder
  • Faith: Lutheran LCMS
  • Jurisdiction: Iowa District West
« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:44:45 AM »
Kierkegaard was a Christian Existentialist philosopher, which is a fairly rare bird, since most of the Existentialists were and are Atheists. He was a communicant member of the State Church of Denmark, which at the time was a traditional Lutheran Church. Today, of course, it has apostatised, along with all the other liberal churches in Western Europe, possible exceptions being the Lutheran Church of Latvia and the Lutheran Church of Finland.

In order to obtain my Bachelor's Degree (one of them) in Philosophy, I did have to read some of Kierkegaard's work, but that was 20 long years ago. I couldn't really be of much help to you on him at this point.

Online beebert

• Elder
« Reply #6 on: Today at 11:10:11 AM »
Kierkegaard was a Christian Existentialist philosopher, which is a fairly rare bird, since most of the Existentialists were and are Atheists. He was a communicant member of the State Church of Denmark, which at the time was a traditional Lutheran Church. Today, of course, it has apostatised, along with all the other liberal churches in Western Europe, possible exceptions being the Lutheran Church of Latvia and the Lutheran Church of Finland.

In order to obtain my Bachelor's Degree (one of them) in Philosophy, I did have to read some of Kierkegaard's work, but that was 20 long years ago. I couldn't really be of much help to you on him at this point.
Kierkegaard seems to have believed that the Church of Denmark had already apostatized during his time. Though Kierkegaard was a complicated fellow. He for example had extremely high demands on what true faith was, and believed that he himself didn't have true faith from what I have understood. Also, he was in his late days highly critical of Martin Luther and accused him of having valued Saint Paul higher than Jesus Christ himself. Kierkegaard was controversial to say the least.