OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 06:01:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: rebel  (Read 888 times) Average Rating: 0
seraphim08

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« on: November 30, 2007, 11:33:54 PM »

hey all. so i ask this question partly in jest, but just as equally seriously: are Orthodox Christians just uptight in general? i could be wrong. but i think i very well may have gotten locked out of another Orthodox forum just for suggesting a very great need for deeper fellowship and saying that i have no problem with playing card games as long as there is no gambling or such things involved. and it seems like most of the Orthodox i've met don't have much of a sense of humor. i know church is a serious matter and living a holy life is equally serious and much maturity is needed. but goodness gracious.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 11:38:54 PM »

Lol.  I'm not laughing at your misfortune.  I'm laughing because the Orthodox are a greatly varied bunch, as you may notice from this board.  Some are quite loose, jovial/gregarious, etc.  Some are very uptight.  Some fall in the middle.

Don't take your experience as being normative for Orthodox.

And if you're looking for a sense of humor, let me tell you about the Priest, Minister, and Rabbi who went fishing together...

(lol).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 11:49:13 PM »

I don't think you were locked out, Seraphim. The entire board was locked 'over there' for a while to deal with another poster/problem.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 11:58:06 PM »

are Orthodox Christians just uptight in general?

Yes. 
seraphim08

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 12:07:08 AM »

thanks for letting me know that aristokles. yet it does remain that at least a couple didn't care for my take on lack of fellowship. but what can i say? though i didn't grow up Orthodox, i did grow up in a church full of people who loved each other, worked together, served together, had potlucks together, and played basketball together. is it such a crime that in preparing to join the Orthodox Church i'm hoping that i can have at least some kind of fellowship? i agree that the church service itself is for worshiping God, alone. i even agree that the majority of our fellowship outside the church service should still be service or worship related. but you gotta have some fun in this life and why not do it with quality Christian people in a clean, godly context? just my opinion. but one i feel passionate about.
and cleveland, thanks for the encouragement. it's good to know not all Orthodox are like that. i couldn't help but think "if that's what's expected of me, then i'm gonna make a terrible Orthodox. maybe i should look at the Church of England instead."
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 12:10:25 AM »

I've been too busy here to respond to that thread over there. I've been meaning to do so, however.
Post it here; to a larger group.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 12:11:21 AM »

Man, the title of this thread really appeals to my Southern sensibilities. Cheesy  Take heart, Seraphim, most of us know how to laugh.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
seraphim08

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 12:26:01 AM »

that's good to hear. understand, that i'm not trying to be mean to anyone. it's just that it really upsets me. we're not jews. Christianity is not some set of burdensome rules we should have to follow just so we can say we live better than everyone else. if i go through with my chrismation and join the Church officially, i guess i'm gonna be considered a liberal Orthodox then. cause last i read, we have freedom in Christ. not freedom to live however we want, but freedom from the slavery of trying to follow a law we just can't live up to. if that's what we have to do, then yeah i guess there's not much room for laughing and singing and playing. but if i want to stay with a downcast countenance and be overly serious all the time then i might as well just be a pagan. can you tell i'm a little passionate about this? hope so. cause according to st. theophan the recluse, zeal is essential to a true Christian life.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: