OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 07:25:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interpretation/Application, 5th/6th Commandment,Thou shall not murder/kill  (Read 1586 times) Average Rating: 0
Jakub
Archon

« on: November 30, 2007, 03:03:16 PM »

I watch most series & movies with a military theme, and a problem arose with a unit member and the violating the 5/6th commandment, he visited with the base chaplain & a short discussion about the termination of people in the line of duty and the translation of the Hebrew word regarding kill-murder.

I noticed that Brenton's translation of the Septuagint uses murder and the majority of other scripture translations use kill...

There is a difference between these words in use & meaning to me, but I was wondering what the "Eastern/Orthodox" position is on this...thoughts ?

Members outside of the Orthodox/Catholic circle are also welcome...

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Pray for me, Sts. Mina & Kyrillos VI for my exams

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 05:00:57 PM »

I don't know where exactly to find this, but many people use an alleged quote from St. Athanasius who has used an analogy between sex and marriage and "license to kill" and being a soldier (i.e. just as it is a soldier's is given the power to kill, in marriage alone can one have sex...with their own spouse only of course).
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 05:03:09 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 05:10:21 PM »

I don't know where exactly to find this, but many people use an alleged quote from St. Athanasius who has used an analogy between sex and marriage and "license to kill" and being a soldier (i.e. just as it is a soldier's is given the power to kill, in marriage alone can one have sex...with their own spouse only of course).

I believe that the original translation from Greek is "Thou shalt not murder".
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 10:40:21 PM »

There is a difference between these words in use & meaning to me, but I was wondering what the "Eastern/Orthodox" position is on this...thoughts ?
There really is no need for the "Orthodox" view, since the difference is a linguistic one and inherent in the text. Yes, there is a difference in meaning in the Greek between "murder" and "kill". Since the Orthodox accept only the Septuagint, the commandment is "Thou shalt do no murder".
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 10:40:55 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: