OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 09:58:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Four-Square Churches  (Read 3419 times) Average Rating: 0
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: November 25, 2007, 11:40:39 PM »

Anyone know anything about them?  Both theology and liturgical practice (or lack thereof).  Just curious
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 11:49:17 PM »

Anyone know anything about them?  Both theology and liturgical practice (or lack thereof).  Just curious
See Aimee Semple MacPherson.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
ComingHome
Elder

Faith: Yes

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 08:20:25 PM »

Foursquare was started by the women evanglist aforementioned.  It has the same basic beliefs as the Assembly of God--Trinitarian, fundamentalist, Pentecostal.  From my experience with them, I saw no liturgical bent whatsoever.  They have pretty typical Pentecostal Protestant type services.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 08:40:05 PM »

Interesting.

Too bad it has nothing to do with the "real" Four-Square!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_square

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Nyssa The Hobbit
Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian as of 1/10/09

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 09:11:20 PM »

I should get Panagiotis to come back on here.  He was raised in Foursquare, and much of his family is still in it.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 09:11:38 PM by Nyssa The Hobbit » Logged

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 09:17:15 PM »

I remember some four square out West I believe (or was it the Midwest?).  Anyway, they used to pray every Friday for guidance to be the true Church.  One day one of them brought an Orthodox Study Bible, and well, the rest of it I understand is history.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Reader KevinAndrew

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Western Rite

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 06:28:17 PM »

I remember some four square out West I believe (or was it the Midwest?).  Anyway, they used to pray every Friday for guidance to be the true Church.  One day one of them brought an Orthodox Study Bible, and well, the rest of it I understand is history.

Didn't some Four-Square churches (I think it was more than one) become catechumens and later received into the Orthodox Church?
Panagiotis
Libertarian/Orthodox/Lush
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Phanar

Advocating Liberty Since 1973

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 02:06:07 AM »

That is correct. It caused a lot of problems though and several went back to Foursquare.

As for the original poster there is a book called Foundations of Pentecostal Theology which details their belief and statement of Faith, their practice and their straight Theology that would answer any and all questions. I must warn you that most of the teaching is dispensational and eschatological Rapture Theology.

I was a licensed Minister in Foursquare and I worked at their headquarters in Los Angeles at the old bank building in Echo Park for three years. It was an experience to work along side of several of the preachers I see on TBN at times, and well it is a part of me which helped me head n the direction of Orthodoxy. I am grateful for those days as it made me who I am today.

Other than this, I rerally dont know where to begin. Could you be more specific on what you would like to know about?

Blessings,
Panagiotis

"The first condition for the establishment of perpetual peace is the general adoption of the principles of laissez-faire capitalism"
-Ludwig Von Mises
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 04:07:11 AM »

That is correct. It caused a lot of problems though and several went back to Foursquare.

As for the original poster there is a book called Foundations of Pentecostal Theology which details their belief and statement of Faith, their practice and their straight Theology that would answer any and all questions. I must warn you that most of the teaching is dispensational and eschatological Rapture Theology.

I was a licensed Minister in Foursquare and I worked at their headquarters in Los Angeles at the old bank building in Echo Park for three years. It was an experience to work along side of several of the preachers I see on TBN at times, and well it is a part of me which helped me head n the direction of Orthodoxy. I am grateful for those days as it made me who I am today.

Other than this, I rerally dont know where to begin. Could you be more specific on what you would like to know about?

Blessings,
Panagiotis

Nothing specifc...I have a coworker that goes to one with his family.  He is a rather quiet person - very humble type.  The company Prez/owner is a newly illumined at my parish (evidently his grandma is a founding member) and brought this coworker to a service (either I wasn't there or didn't notice or remember him).  I guess he stayed for the whole thing, but don't know much else.  Just general curiousity.
Panagiotis
Libertarian/Orthodox/Lush
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Phanar

Advocating Liberty Since 1973

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 05:48:04 PM »

Well, most of them are pre-tribulationist; heavy rapture theology controls the majority of their doctrinal approaches.

Another note is their inclination towards the gifts of prophesy and their interpretation of glossalalia. Their teaching on the Holy Spirit and the gifts of the Holy Spirit is held in high regard, almost as if it is parallal to the Sacred Scripture. Their passion for a spiritual word from God, even when it contradicts Sacred Scripture overrides doctrinal teaching at times. It is interesting to note that when someone "receives" a prophetic word from God and spoken in a service aloud, that this prophesy is given as a forecoming of either events to come, a healing, a restoration of some sort or a caution for someone to take heed to. This type of service is very emotional and the passions are extremely indulged by the sense of something very spiritual. This type of service attracts those who have never felt the presence of God nor have partaken of the Mysteries of Christ.

Foursquare is a emotional rollercoaster. The service are extremely emotional, very massive in its worship services which include modern music, very "charismatic" i.e. lifting up of hands, tongue speaking at times, even singing in tongues, and is led by either the Pastor or the music director who leads the congregation through hypnotic words and emotionally driven music. It can be a drug, an opiate of the masses. After this worship service comes the Pastoral teaching(Sola-Scriptura, Arminianist mostly, some Calvinism, its really a mixture of what feels right for each individual) and then a closing worship time afterwards. This is typically seen in most cases as the norm.

Very emotional-
Many people are devoted to this because it gives them a sense of being personal with God, the feeling of being able to stand before God and bow down at His feet as many of the songs sang in the movement speak of doing such things.

I can only tell you my experiences with it, as I left it almost ten years ago and I had no congregation I was in charge of at the time I left.

Blessings,
Panagiotis

"The first condition for the establishment of perpetual peace is the general adoption of the principles of laissez-faire capitalism"
-Ludwig Von Mises
ComingHome
Elder

Faith: Yes

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 11:59:26 PM »

I finally located a link that I saw long ago.  It is a former 4square minister who is now an Orthodox clergyman. 

Dennis Corrigan, Recovering the Ancient Paths (former Foursquare Pentecostal) http://www.philthompson.net/pages/becoming/ancientpaths.html
Tags: Four-square Church Pentecostal Church Protestant Christianity 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: