OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 06:27:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Golden Compass movie: mainstream paganism propaganda to the max  (Read 7708 times) Average Rating: 0
jaderook

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2007, 11:05:42 PM »

Take the last word, then ask me not to reply? Eh, I guess so in this case...I'm feeling more charitable than most nights. Wink

As for my spelling, reading through the paragraph you were referencing I had to read it twice to make sense of it, it was pretty bad; but, in my defence, look at the time stamp on it, by that time my hours of sobriety were long past. Grin

A true gentleman.  Thank you.   Wink
Tamara
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2007, 01:50:37 AM »

From what I read, this movie just did 'okay' in the theaters but did not rise to the level of Lord of the Rings or Narnia on opening weekend.
Hopefully, this will mean there will be no sequels. Tongue
If everyone just ignores it, maybe it will just go away... Cool

An interesting review can be read at Orthodoxy Today: http://www.orthodoxytoday.org/articles7/MorelliSmartParentingVII.php
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2007, 02:07:15 AM »

From what I read, this movie just did 'okay' in the theaters but did not rise to the level of Lord of the Rings or Narnia on opening weekend.
Hopefully, this will mean there will be no sequels. Tongue
If everyone just ignores it, maybe it will just go away... Cool

I think it would be hard-pressed to approach either.  They are both of a much higher quality of literature...or so the "experts" say.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2007, 10:28:30 AM »

$26 million s**ks for a film with this kind of budget. Hopefully it drops off sharply next weekend.
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2007, 12:28:13 PM »

$26 million s**ks for a film with this kind of budget. Hopefully it drops off sharply next weekend.

Lubeltri,

The movie industry has had a bad year  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of pseudo copycat artists  Tongue.
We should ignore (not boycott, just ignore) all the trash they put out in the theaters and on TV so they will go out of business. Then maybe an intelligent group of filmmakers and those who are truly creative will realize the people are tired of immoral, moronic, and uninspiring garbage.

Narnia made 65 million in the first weekend. People stood after the movie was over and cheered. We know what we want and it isn't want Hollywood has been producing.

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2007, 12:57:05 PM »

Lubeltri,

The movie industry has had a bad year  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of pseudo copycat artists  Tongue.
We should ignore (not boycott, just ignore) all the trash they put out in the theaters and on TV so they will go out of business. Then maybe an intelligent group of filmmakers and those who are truly creative will realize the people are tired of immoral, moronic, and uninspiring garbage.

Narnia made 65 million in the first weekend. People stood after the movie was over and cheered. We know what we want and it isn't want Hollywood has been producing.

Agreed! So ironic that New Line has been marketing it as another Narnia or Lord of the Rings! It couldn't be further from the truth, and I think most people can see through the facade.

I say let the writer's strike continue!
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2007, 01:05:34 PM »

Agreed! So ironic that New Line has been marketing it as another Narnia or Lord of the Rings! It couldn't be further from the truth, and I think most people can see through the facade.

I say let the writer's strike continue!

The writer's strike has been a blessing.... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2007, 10:39:09 AM »

Grace and Peace,

So, long story short, I shouldn't take my 5 year old daughter to see this film?

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
Athanasios
Latin Rite Catholic faithful to the Holy Father and the Magisterium
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Latin Church Diocese of Youngstown

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2007, 12:44:14 PM »

Hello,

I think that this quote from Pullman himself says it all:

"I'm trying to undermine the basis of Christian belief"

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

Pray that we may be one, as Christ and His Father are one. (John 17:20ff)

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2007, 01:47:32 PM »

Grace and Peace,

I think a 5 year old might be a little frightened by the battle scenes.  Personally, I always found bears to be really scary and all the armored polar bears would have been too much for me.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2007, 01:59:51 PM »

Grace and Peace,

I wouldn't give her any reason to read the books when she is a little older.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2007, 02:38:58 PM »

According to the BBC, the movie's take in the opening weekend disappointed the studio.  If it continues to do poorly, I'm sure market forces will keep the sequels from being made (or at least being made by a major studio and given major attention).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2007, 03:10:32 PM »

From what I understand, even fans of the books think the film version is bad.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Órëlaurëa
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the midwest

« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2007, 04:04:10 PM »

Pullman has backpedaled about the anti-religion aspects of his books. Even National Public Radio had a review about how the movie was changed in order to be less controversial. The reviewer spoke about making the Magisterium being secular (in the book it is clearly a branch of the "church").

For any who are interested, here is a link to an interview with Pullman and the Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr. Rowan Williams. In the interview he talks about the church in the books.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2004/03/17/bodark17.xml

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2007, 04:32:22 PM »

Pullman has backpedaled about the anti-religion aspects of his books. Even National Public Radio had a review about how the movie was changed in order to be less controversial. The reviewer spoke about making the Magisterium being secular (in the book it is clearly a branch of the "church"). 

Here's my question: reading reviews of the books, it seems that the sequels (covering the second and third books of the series) cannot have the anti-religious aspects toned down without changing the story; so is it possible, or is he pandering to the Christian population?

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Órëlaurëa
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the midwest

« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2007, 05:00:17 PM »

The reviewer said that he couldn't see how there would be a second or third movie because of the anti-religious themes. I'm supposing that he is pandering to the Christian population--at least as far as necessary to make the film sucessful. Aparently he would have similar mollifying remarks if/when the other films come around.

Personally, I've read the entire series, and do not think the series or the movies would be appropriate for children, especially when there's all sorts of wonderful literature to choose instead.

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2007, 05:14:40 PM »

The reviewer said that he couldn't see how there would be a second or third movie because of the anti-religious themes. I'm supposing that he is pandering to the Christian population--at least as far as necessary to make the film sucessful. Aparently he would have similar mollifying remarks if/when the other films come around.

They could have gotten away with it if this first one was some sort of runaway success.  However, I think people view it as a Narnia/LOTR knock-off (rightly or wrongly), nad the box office numbers weren't that good considering the cost of the film ($180 million expenses, only $26 million grossed in the first week, under 15% of the expenses, which is not good for a big-studio film).

---------------------
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2007, 05:44:37 PM »

It sounds like a culture-war set piece: Hollywood rolls out a religious-themed Christmas blockbuster and conservative believers go ballistic. That was the story this weekend with the release of "The Golden Compass."

Based on the wildly popular fantasy novels by British author Philip Pullman, a famously outspoken atheist, the film casts God and the Church as evildoers. Or does it?

Some have called for a boycott of the film. But Pullman fans say the movie lacks the deeper spiritual meaning of the books.

This hour, On Point: the storm surrounding "The Golden Compass."

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags: the  golden compass  movie  paganism  propaganda 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: