OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 06:36:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are you Catholic?  (Read 1911 times) Average Rating: 0
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« on: November 29, 2007, 05:14:16 PM »

This is a post in response to Ziggernaut on another thread, but I didn't want to pull that thread off on a tangent. I looked on this board for a thread about why the Catholics here are Catholic, but I failed, so I will create a new one.

It gladdens my heart to hear of your love and respect for Orthodoxy!  Why don't you come join us?  (Just kidding  Grin Grin!)

Or am I?  Grin

Cheesy

You're relatively new here, so I'll point you to a couple posts of mine:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,10020.msg147525.html#msg147525

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,11320.msg153613.html#msg153613

Also, this is a PM I sent to someone who asked me about my background shortly after I joined this forum:

Yes, I'm Catholic.

I've been fond of Orthodoxy ever since I was a history-mad 11-year-old who read everything about the Byzantine Empire he could find (I've since studied Byzantium in depth at university). I have numerous Orthodox friends and acquaintances, and I participated in the Orthodox Christian Fellowship at my university. I attended a Greek Orthodox Church occasionally while also attending Mass.

So why am I not Orthodox? Well, I would say first that I am a Westerner. I'm Irish and Italian . . . I come from a big Catholic family. My father left the Church when I was little and became a Baptist, making me go to Baptist church every week, but I still grew up with a Catholic sensibility, I think. I chose the Church over the Baptists when I became an adult after some years of consideration. I feel at home there.

Secondly, I think the Catholic Church has great strength to face the modernism that is spreading across the developed Christian world. I see the pope increasingly as that rock of orthodoxy to guide the Church through troubled times, as he was so often against the heresies of the first millennium. I often shudder to think where our troubled American church would be if there were no papal primacy, if it were autonomous. We might look more like the Episcopal Church! I see the Petrine office as a great source of unity while also a bulwark against error and our link to St. Peter and Jesus through the ages.

I also mesh with a primarily Western theological and spiritual perspective, though I have great respect for Eastern theology and spirituality.

You could say I am also a Catholic because the Church considers Orthodoxy as a true apostolic faith with grace-filled sacraments and has officially committed herself to the task of reconciliation with the East. I have always felt the same way, and I pray daily for reunion (while dreaming of visiting Hagia Sophia, Mount Athos, and Cappadocia someday).

There are other reasons too, but I'd like to emphasize that I'm Catholic not because I think there is something wrong with Orthodoxy itself. I see it as one of the two lungs of the apostolic faith.

Thanks for writing. Hope this helps,

Lubeltri

From another PM:

. . .as a Catholic I feel like I am both Catholic AND Orthodox. As a Catholic, more of the treasures of Orthodoxy and Eastern Christianity are licitly available to me in a way that the treasures of Catholicism and Western Christianity are not as fully available to the Orthodox Christian. In some sense, I feel more fully catholic as a Catholic.

I would also add (I thought I wrote this in a post somewhere, but I can't find it) that once I knew I couldn't be a Protestant, I spent several years considering Catholicism, Orthodoxy and Anglicanism. I was converted to serious Christian discipleship in a Continuing Anglican church and was almost confirmed there before I felt led to pray and consider all three communions for a while.

mikeanayaus

Jurisdiction: Latin Church

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 05:26:56 PM »

To be honest I'm Catholic because I can't imagine being anything other than Catholic or Orthodox. There are differences between the beliefs and practices between the two but for the most part, I agree with the Catholic position versus the Orthodox one. For me the only point that makes me wonder is the issue of the role of the Pope, other than that I can't really understand how the Orthodox say the rest of our differences are heresies. Obviously though the Catholic Church is going through a tough time right now but Pope Benedict seems to be doing a good job at bringing the Church back on course.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 05:27:53 PM »

The Faith of my Polish/Italian families, imported from the old countries, I'm 2nd generation.

Like yourself and some others I have great admiration for Orthodoxy and the East, though I only became aware in April 2001...

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 05:30:36 PM »

While I'm not Roman Catholic, I did want to say that I've always respected both your insight and knowledge (as well as your fairness).  I also have a healthy respect for Roman Catholicism, as I've attended the RCIA once before.  Thanks for posting this, friend.  May this post spark a healthy (and lively) conversation! Wink

In Christ,

Gabriel

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
mikeanayaus

Jurisdiction: Latin Church

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 05:35:44 PM »

Oh yeah, one more thing, it's probably a silly thing, but Our Lady of Guadalupe happens to be one of the other reasons I remain Catholic.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 05:51:39 PM »

I also have a healthy respect for Roman Catholicism, as I've attended the RCIA once before. 

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

You still had respect for our Church after attending RCIA? Will wonders never cease!

Cheesy
Ziggernaut
Curmudgeon Extraordinaire

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 06:11:15 PM »

This is a post in response to Ziggernaut on another thread, but I didn't want to pull that thread off on a tangent. I looked on this board for a thread about why the Catholics here are Catholic, but I failed, so I will create a new one.

Cheesy

You're relatively new here, so I'll point you to a couple posts of mine:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,10020.msg147525.html#msg147525

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,11320.msg153613.html#msg153613

Also, this is a PM I sent to someone who asked me about my background shortly after I joined this forum:

Yes, I'm Catholic.

I've been fond of Orthodoxy ever since I was a history-mad 11-year-old who read everything about the Byzantine Empire he could find (I've since studied Byzantium in depth at university). I have numerous Orthodox friends and acquaintances, and I participated in the Orthodox Christian Fellowship at my university. I attended a Greek Orthodox Church occasionally while also attending Mass.

So why am I not Orthodox? Well, I would say first that I am a Westerner. I'm Irish and Italian . . . I come from a big Catholic family. My father left the Church when I was little and became a Baptist, making me go to Baptist church every week, but I still grew up with a Catholic sensibility, I think. I chose the Church over the Baptists when I became an adult after some years of consideration. I feel at home there.

Secondly, I think the Catholic Church has great strength to face the modernism that is spreading across the developed Christian world. I see the pope increasingly as that rock of orthodoxy to guide the Church through troubled times, as he was so often against the heresies of the first millennium. I often shudder to think where our troubled American church would be if there were no papal primacy, if it were autonomous. We might look more like the Episcopal Church! I see the Petrine office as a great source of unity while also a bulwark against error and our link to St. Peter and Jesus through the ages.

I also mesh with a primarily Western theological and spiritual perspective, though I have great respect for Eastern theology and spirituality.

You could say I am also a Catholic because the Church considers Orthodoxy as a true apostolic faith with grace-filled sacraments and has officially committed herself to the task of reconciliation with the East. I have always felt the same way, and I pray daily for reunion (while dreaming of visiting Hagia Sophia, Mount Athos, and Cappadocia someday).

There are other reasons too, but I'd like to emphasize that I'm Catholic not because I think there is something wrong with Orthodoxy itself. I see it as one of the two lungs of the apostolic faith.

Thanks for writing. Hope this helps,

Lubeltri

From another PM:

. . .as a Catholic I feel like I am both Catholic AND Orthodox. As a Catholic, more of the treasures of Orthodoxy and Eastern Christianity are licitly available to me in a way that the treasures of Catholicism and Western Christianity are not as fully available to the Orthodox Christian. In some sense, I feel more fully catholic as a Catholic.

I would also add (I thought I wrote this in a post somewhere, but I can't find it) that once I knew I couldn't be a Protestant, I spent several years considering Catholicism, Orthodoxy and Anglicanism. I was converted to serious Christian discipleship in a Continuing Anglican church and was almost confirmed there before I felt led to pray and consider all three communions for a while.

Hi Lubeltri,

Thanks for sharing, and for your openness!  It's really refreshing to read the witness you provide sans the nasty polemics that can so often accompany such things.

I am a convert to Orthodoxy, through "Byzantine" Catholicism, so I have a very healthy respect, and even love, for Catholicism.  It was, after all, what eventually led me to Orthodoxy!

God bless you!
Jeff

"Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it, and right is right even if nobody is doing it."  Augustine of Hippo
Joab Anias

Jurisdiction: Rome

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 06:30:55 PM »

I am because I was baptized at birth and indoctrinated through parochial school though I didn't really pay attention and fell away.

Later on when I came back it was because I choose too and since then I have found the Church reaffirms itself in the richness that it possesses like no where else.

Peace.
paradoxy
Married Hermit

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox

"Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds."

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 07:32:06 PM »

Just another Orthodox here with a 'healthy respect' for Catholicism.

lubeltri, I haven't been here long but I enjoy your posts and your discussion style.

["I often shudder to think where our troubled American church would be if there were no papal primacy, if it were autonomous."]

I'm sorry to say this made me laugh... several times... couldn't help it Grin

I'll quickly add that here in Europe the RCC has much to offer that inspires 'healthy respect.'

God bless.

And when He knew for certain
Only drowning men could see Him
He said "All men will be sailors then
Until the sea shall free them"

Leonard Cohen
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 07:39:47 PM »

I was never Catholic, but I think that Catholicism help shape me from Presbyterianism to journey elwhere towards Orthodoxy.   

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
GreekChef
Prez
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America: Metropolis of Atlanta

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 09:00:52 PM »

I mentioned this in another thread, but I just wanted to add here that I, too, am an Orthodox Christian with a great respect and love for the Catholic church.  While I am thoroughly and firmly committed to my Orthodox faith, my mother was raised Catholic and converted to Orthodoxy, and both my sister and I were baptized in the Catholic church.  I do, whole-heartedly pray that the churches will one day achieve unity and we will be able to worship and commune together.

God bless you!

Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me.
Matthew 18:5
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 09:58:43 PM »

Yes, I am Roman and I am Catholic.
I was baptised an infant as such.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 10:00:09 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Athanasios
Latin Rite Catholic faithful to the Holy Father and the Magisterium
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Latin Church Diocese of Youngstown

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 11:15:01 PM »

Hello,

Why am I Catholic? The simple reason is because I have been confirmed in my Faith. That doesn't simply mean the I went through the Sacrament of Confirmation (which I have), but that by the grace of God, by Faith is firmly established in the Catholic Faith.

I have a deep respect for my Eastern brethren (and I truly see us as brothers), but in those areas where there is a divergence of views (i.e., Papacy) I firmly adhere to the Catholic viewpoint. Through my dialogue with the Eastern Orthodox, I certainly have learned a great deal of the Church Fathers (for which I am extremely grateful) I often tell my fellow Catholics that if they want to dialogue with Protestants that they had better know Scriptures inside and out, chapter and verse; but if they want to dialogue with the Orthodox, while still needing to know Scriptures, they had better know the Church Fathers and Councils inside and out. That education in the Faith of our Fathers is invaluable. And through my study (even more firmly than before), I have been convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Catholic Church IS the Church.

I am a Catholic of the Latin Rite (though I attend Liturgy at various Eastern Rite Churches on a semi-regular basis) who is faithful to the Holy Father and the Magisterium.

Tu es Petros - and I stand with him!

God Bless.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 11:15:56 PM by Athanasios » Logged

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

Pray that we may be one, as Christ and His Father are one. (John 17:20ff)

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Carole
Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic (ish)

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 09:31:51 AM »

Why am I Catholic?

I'm at a point where I am not entirely certain.  Hence my presence and participation here.

Carole
Alexius

Faith: Eastern Catholic

Baptism of Poland

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 11:31:01 AM »

Why am I Catholic?

I'm at a point where I am not entirely certain.  Hence my presence and participation here.

I'm Catholic because I was born Catholic. I feel like the robe in a game of tug-o-war, though. Rome wants this, but your Eastern tradition wants another... Undecided

I believe I already believe what the Orthodox believe, so there's not any separation in this regard...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 11:32:21 AM by Alexius » Logged

"You cannot reason with those who do not..."

Prayers and Petitions,
                        Alexius Cool
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2007, 05:58:02 PM »

Why am I Catholic?  Because the Orthodox Church is the "One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church".  I didn't choose the name, a Council chose it for me.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: