OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 02:41:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What leads to Orthodoxy?  (Read 9327 times) Average Rating: 0
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2008, 10:07:08 AM »

Eh, people pass around lies and half-thruths all the time.  Frustrating?  Sure, but I'm not the Orthodox police so let 'em say what they want. They won't answer to me.

Well, I certainly don't consider myself to be any kind of "police".  But half-truths and misconceptions are not the Truth and that something that I care about whether it is about my Church or another person's Church or History or anything.  Knowing real facts and information about someone or something or some Church or some group, can help in understanding. 

A while ago Sloga asked about the Anglican Communion and I and others gave some of the real history.  That helped to foster understanding.  Smiley

Thanks for the reply.  It's pretty much point for point what I expected.

Oh?   Smiley  Did it clear anything up? If you have any questions I will be glad to try and answer them. 

My point in the post that you noted is that people are not all the same, one person's "Home" is not necessarily anothers.  There is a subjective or personal aspect.

As I recall, and please correct me if I'm wrong, you were once Muslim.  Now I've read that a common phrase for some muslims to use is that a person does not "convert" but "reverts".  That is, in their mind Islam is the real faith of all humanity, but many have left it by being Christian or another faith.  They make a claim that it is where all of Humanity belongs.  This, I think, could be looked at as similar to the RC/EO is "Home" for everyone.   

I mean no offense by this, I assure you, I'm just trying to find a parallel illustration.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2008, 12:08:21 PM »

My point in the post that you noted is that people are not all the same, one person's "Home" is not necessarily anothers.  There is a subjective or personal aspect.
Yes, you're correct.  All I was saying is that this is an Orthodox Christian forum comprised mainly of ta da! Orthodox Christians.  And since we feel as though Orthodoxy is home, it's no surprise that we would invite non-Orthodox Christians to our home and thus, make it your home.

As I recall, and please correct me if I'm wrong, you were once Muslim.
Common knowledge since I talk about it quite a bit.

Now I've read that a common phrase for some muslims to use is that a person does not "convert" but "reverts".  That is, in their mind Islam is the real faith of all humanity, but many have left it by being Christian or another faith.  They make a claim that it is where all of Humanity belongs.  This, I think, could be looked at as similar to the RC/EO is "Home" for everyone.   

I mean no offense by this, I assure you, I'm just trying to find a parallel illustration.
No offense taken.  And nice illustration.  But to use your analogy, if I were a member of an Islamic forum, I'd expect to be asked to 'come home' all the time.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 12:09:16 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2008, 12:38:30 PM »

Yes, you're correct.  All I was saying is that this is an Orthodox Christian forum comprised mainly of ta da! Orthodox Christians.  And since we feel as though Orthodoxy is home, it's no surprise that we would invite non-Orthodox Christians to our home and thus, make it your home.

Having been here as long as I have, I can assure you that this is not any kind of a surprise.  Wink  But as you wrote *you* feel it is "home" (may one assume that you felt 'at home' in Islam while you were there?  So "home" is not an always kind of thing maybe.) and I write that it is not home for me or for others.

Common knowledge since I talk about it quite a bit.

Thank you.  I wasn't sure if I recalled correctly.  I have, to quote Professor Tolkein a memory "like a lumber room, thing wanted always buried" or perhaps its more like "I have a memory like a steel bear trap---- what goes in, comes out mangled."   Wink

No offense taken.  And nice illustration.  But to use your analogy, if I were a member of an Islamic forum, I'd expect to be asked to 'come home' all the time.

Well, and I have seen it here; I have not avoided such posts. My response is still the same, I hope courteously, "I am home where I am.  Where you are, be it EO or RC or OO, is not "Home" for me."  There is still some subjectivity in any Human Being.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Tags: conversion 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: