OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 05:09:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: What Operating System(s) do you use on your own computer(s)
Windows - 19 (54.3%)
Mac OS - 5 (14.3%)
Linux - 8 (22.9%)
BSD UNIX - 2 (5.7%)
System V UNIX - 0 (0%)
Other (please explain) - 1 (2.9%)
Total Voters: 27

Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Operating System Do You Use?  (Read 4911 times) Average Rating: 0
Athanasios
Latin Rite Catholic faithful to the Holy Father and the Magisterium
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Church Diocese of Youngstown

The Divine Mercy

« on: November 27, 2007, 03:49:32 PM »

Hello,

So what drives your computers. Please only respond for your personal computers and not your work computers - unless you either own the business or run the IT department.

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

Pray that we may be one, as Christ and His Father are one. (John 17:20ff)

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 03:51:40 PM »

Hello,

On my computers, I run Linux (Slackware 12) and BSD Unix (NetBSD 3.1).

I have toyed with FreeBSD and have some limited experience with Mac OS X (although its based off of FreeBSD so it isn't totally foreign) had more than a needed amount of exposure to Windows.

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 03:54:58 PM »

On the home computers I run XP and 2000.  I have lots of exposure to OS X (from school).  Still have my disks for Win 95 and 98 and ME, and probably somewhere my Windows 3.1 disks.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 03:58:02 PM »

Vista for me.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 03:59:04 PM »

Hello,

On the home computers I run XP and 2000.  I have lots of exposure to OS X (from school).  Still have my disks for Win 95 and 98 and ME, and probably somewhere my Windows 3.1 disks.
Well, what about your DOS disks? I actually still have them.  Smiley

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 04:00:22 PM »

Hello,

I remember back when OS/2 first came out - I thought it was just so cool. And compared to Win95, it was.  Cheesy

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 04:05:02 PM »

OpenVMS Smiley

Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 04:06:05 PM »

Hello,

OpenVMS Smiley
I think I have heard of it, but am not familiar with it. Please describe it.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 04:19:06 PM »

Hello,
Well, what about your DOS disks? I actually still have them.  Smiley

Maybe.  I still remember DOS (version 2, I think).  Papou had an original IBM AT Personal Computer in his house.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 04:23:28 PM »

Hello,

I remember back when OS/2 first came out - I thought it was just so cool. And compared to Win95, it was.  Cheesy

That's because it WAS the prototype Windows95, sort of. Microsoft had a cross development agreement with IBM and used OS/2 as the basis for Win95. OS/2 Warp was better.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 05:05:31 PM »

Hello,

Maybe.  I still remember DOS (version 2, I think).  Papou had an original IBM AT Personal Computer in his house.

The disks I have are for 6.2; 6.22; and an update disk (even then they had their updates).

I also have for it a number of applications - Word for DOS; Turbo Pascal 7; other apps, some games, etc.

I also have an old 486 that is still running all this stuff (though I haven't used it in over a year).

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 05:13:44 PM »

Wow, Turbo Pascal.  I used to be a Word Perfect junkie.  I can only claim an old 386DX, but we got rid of it awhile ago.

---------------------
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 05:33:18 PM »

Hello,

Wow, Turbo Pascal.  I used to be a Word Perfect junkie.  I can only claim an old 386DX, but we got rid of it awhile ago.

My first computer I ever had was an old 286 my Dad bought for his work. It came with a 4 MB hard drive - more space than we could ever use - said the salesman.  Grin

Yeah, Turbo Pascal was the first programming language I learned - and I was nostalgic for it. Borland gave me Turbo Pascal 3 and 5.5 for FREE! And I purchased version 7 from ebay.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 05:38:47 PM »

dual boot: Ubuntu Linux and Windows XP Pro

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 05:49:58 PM »

Hello,

dual boot: Ubuntu Linux and Windows XP Pro

What do you think of Ubuntu?

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
wynd
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

Transfiguration

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 07:21:28 PM »

Hello,

So what drives your computers. Please only respond for your personal computers and not your work computers - unless you either own the business or run the IT department.
Slackware 12 here as well. I believe I've seen you on LQ Wink

I tried OpenBSD a year or two ago and it worked great! The only thing that I didn't like about it was that some of the packages in ports were a little outdated, which is good from a security perspective but not necessarily from an end-user perspective. So I went back to Slackware.
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 07:26:49 PM »

Hello,

Slackware 12 here as well. I believe I've seen you on LQ Wink

I tried OpenBSD a year or two ago and it worked great! The only thing that I didn't like about it was that some of the packages in ports were a little outdated, which is good from a security perspective but not necessarily from an end-user perspective. So I went back to Slackware.
Very likely - as I post there. Wink I think I have seen you there, too. I remember thinking - is that the same person? I guess, now I have my answer.

I also post over at BSD Forums.

Did you happen to try and put OpenBSD together yourself or paid for the CD's?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 07:43:07 PM by Athanasios » Logged

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2007, 07:35:22 PM »

Vista for me.

Same here.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
wynd
High Elder

Transfiguration

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2007, 07:50:02 PM »

Hello,
Very likely - as I post there. Wink I think I have seen you there, too. I remember thinking - is that the same person? I guess, now I have my answer.

Did you happen to try and put OpenBSD together yourself or paid for the CD's?
Well, neither really. The OpenBSD team provides official boot ISOs to boot from a floppy and continue the installation over a network, which is what I did. You can also make unofficial ISOs that do the same thing except with a CD-ROM drive, using instructions found on Google. The complete OS on CDs is what you would pay for.

OpenBSD has a monolithic kernel, where every supported option and driver is included, so if the kernel supports your network hardware, the net install will work right out of the box (unless you have problems with the network itself of course). More convenient than having to detect and guess the right module to load.

For now I prefer Linux for desktop use, but if I ever had to set up a server or two I wouldn't hesitate to use OpenBSD.
wynd
High Elder

Transfiguration

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2007, 07:50:54 PM »

Vista for me.
How is Vista? I've never used it, but I haven't yet met someone who liked it.
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2007, 07:58:21 PM »

Hello,

Well, neither really. The OpenBSD team provides official boot ISOs to boot from a floppy and continue the installation over a network, which is what I did. You can also make unofficial ISOs that do the same thing except with a CD-ROM drive, using instructions found on Google. The complete OS on CDs is what you would pay for.

OpenBSD has a monolithic kernel, where every supported option and driver is included, so if the kernel supports your network hardware, the net install will work right out of the box (unless you have problems with the network itself of course). More convenient than having to detect and guess the right module to load.

For now I prefer Linux for desktop use, but if I ever had to set up a server or two I wouldn't hesitate to use OpenBSD.
The problem with OpenBSD is that everything is already assembled like with most other distros (i.e., ISO's). What you're really paying for is for them to compile and link everything. I don't think that a network install is substantially better (compared to other system's). That's just my opinion.

Of course, OpenBSD is known for its security - but it more-or-less hasn't any advantage over the other two major BSD's if you are willing to configure them properly.

My personal favorite is NetBSD - and OpenBSD doesn't hold a candle to it for compatibility (i.e., drivers, processors supported, etc.). Like the ad says:

NetBSD...Unix for your toaster!

The most popular BSD is FreeBSD, which if you want or need some new (less than 6 months to one year) technology, than it may be for you. It will also usually have the most updated software, generally speaking.

Oh, I just love my BSD's - I could talk about them all day.  Grin

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2007, 08:02:54 PM »

Hello,

Vista came with my new system when I bought it (I actually postponed my purchase a month to have Vista ship with it - how foolish was I). I actually had high hopes for it, given the rave reviews it received. I was sorely disappointed. It made things twice as hard to try and do anything. File browsing was a pain, every 2 seconds it wants you to update something (which requires a password), no help files (don't even get me started on this one!), ridiculous hardware requirements - most to drive its user interface, which is decent enough I guess, but I can make any number of window managers and desktop environments look and act the same way (KDE comes immediately to mind). Not to mention the so-called security enhancements I thought were a step backward and awkwardly implemented.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
wynd
High Elder

Transfiguration

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2007, 08:13:36 PM »

The problem with OpenBSD is that everything is already assembled like with most other distros (i.e., ISO's). What you're really paying for is for them to compile and link everything. I don't think that a network install is substantially better (compared to other system's). That's just my opinion.
Like Slackware, it also helps fund the project. You don't really pay for the product itself.

From Wikipedia: "Prepackaged CD-ROM sets can be ordered online for a small fee, complete with an assortment of stickers and a copy of the release's theme song. These, with its artwork and other bonuses, are one of the project's few sources of income, funding hardware, bandwidth and other expenses."

And the OpenBSD site: "Note that only the CD layout is copyrighted, OpenBSD itself is free. Nothing precludes someone else from downloading OpenBSD and making their own CD."

Also: I just looked on an FTP site. It looks like their newest version has some kind of install ISO, but I think it's just the base, no ports.

Of course, OpenBSD is known for its security - but it more-or-less hasn't any advantage over the other two major BSD's if you are willing to configure them properly.
Or any OS really. But I do think that they put more time and thought into making their OS secure by including or setting up things in a certain way by default that would have to be manually enabled on other OSes.

My personal favorite is NetBSD - and OpenBSD doesn't hold a candle to it for compatibility (i.e., drivers, processors supported, etc.). Like the ad says:

NetBSD...Unix for your toaster!
I've never used it, though I did want to at one point. I downloaded the ISO a year or two ago and tried it, but it wouldn't work for some reason. So I went to my #2 choice on the to-try list which was OpenBSD. If I ever get more computers (or more toasters Wink), I will have a chance to try more OSes.

The most popular BSD is FreeBSD, which if you want or need some new (less than 6 months to one year) technology, than it may be for you. It will also usually have the most updated software, generally speaking.

I thought about that, but then I thought that I would also want things like Flash for the web, which requires Linux emulation, or tools for my phone, which don't work at all under BSD. So, I thought, why not take the path of least resistance? Grin
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2007, 08:25:14 PM »

Hello,

And the OpenBSD site: "Note that only the CD layout is copyrighted, OpenBSD itself is free. Nothing precludes someone else from downloading OpenBSD and making their own CD."
Yup, and that's exactly what your paying for - the CD layout. And if I ever want to seriously use OpenBSD - I'd probably pay for that convenience.

I've never used it, though I did want to at one point. I downloaded the ISO a year or two ago and tried it, but it wouldn't work for some reason. So I went to my #2 choice on the to-try list which was OpenBSD. If I ever get more computers (or more toasters Wink), I will have a chance to try more OSes.
Why wait. You can dual boot multiple OS's on the same computer. And if you're already using Slackware, you don't have to install anything extra, just edit a file and there you go.

But for NetBSD - I'd advise waiting for just a short while. 4.0 is due out soon - it may be here by New Year's. And if it gives you any grief or burns your toast, let me know.  laugh

I thought about that, but then I thought that I would also want things like Flash for the web, which requires Linux emulation, or tools for my phone, which don't work at all under BSD. So, I thought, why not take the path of least resistance? Grin
It's been a little while since I've played with FreeBSD, but I thought that the current Flash was FreeBSD native.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2007, 09:06:55 PM »

It's all right. Getting better with age, but it's still got a few bugs. For example, it won't run Firefox. At all. Hmm, 98 anyone?

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2007, 09:16:02 PM »

I have lots of exposure to OS X (from school).

HCHC?

If say, I have to say my opinion of the institution went up dramatically  Tongue
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2007, 09:27:09 PM »

HCHC?

If say, I have to say my opinion of the institution went up dramatically  Tongue

Hey, it also produced such great theology minds as yours truly. Grin

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2007, 09:27:54 PM »

Solaris 10 running on a sparc, and also HP-UX running on HP are my 2 OSes.

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2007, 09:35:28 PM »

Solaris 10 running on a sparc, and also HP-UX running on HP are my 2 OSes

I always like HPUX, I used it extensively when working as a research assistant in undergrad school, but unfortunately have not used it since then.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2007, 09:42:36 PM »

Hey, it also produced such great theology minds as yours truly. Grin

That's what gave me my low opinion of the place  Tongue  Cheesy

And to stay on topic, I'm a sola OS X person. 
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2007, 09:56:28 PM »

I always like HPUX, I used it extensively when working as a research assistant in undergrad school, but unfortunately have not used it since then.

11.31 on IA64, it's the hotness.
wynd
High Elder

Transfiguration

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2007, 11:18:24 PM »

Why wait. You can dual boot multiple OS's on the same computer. And if you're already using Slackware, you don't have to install anything extra, just edit a file and there you go.

My hard drive is all partitioned up though. I'd either have to re-partition it or get another drive.

Also, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" Wink
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 11:19:07 PM by wynd » Logged
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2007, 11:24:08 PM »

11.31 on IA64, it's the hotness.

Sweet, I can't say I ever used a version of hpux even close to that modern. And we never had those fancy extras like GUI's (I grew to love lynx). Wink

Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2007, 01:20:59 AM »

Sweet, I can't say I ever used a version of hpux even close to that modern. And we never had those fancy extras like GUI's (I grew to love lynx). Wink

I'll set you up a shell account next week sometime. 
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2007, 01:51:48 AM »

It's all right. Getting better with age, but it's still got a few bugs. For example, it won't run Firefox. At all. Hmm, 98 anyone?

I've run Firefox on it w/ no problems. My biggest gripe is the unpredictability of what will when trying to open a second window on a site. Sometimes it accepts the idea of doing so with a "new tab" - other times it basically refreshes the window I already have open, reopening it to the new page address and leaving me staring at a screen that no longer contains the reply post on which I've worked for 10 mins.

Many years,

Neil, who is so old that his first computer was an Apple IIe and remembers typing in programs from Home Computer magazine or somesuch, so the my oldest daughter could have games to play - and the pride of successfully creating a variation on those canned ones and having it work as I planned it to do
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 01:54:37 AM by Irish Melkite » Logged

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2007, 01:54:28 AM »

Neil, who is so old that his first computer was an Apple IIe

Same here.  So you are about 20 right?  Wink
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2007, 01:55:23 AM »

Same here.  So you are about 20 right?  Wink 

Yep - give or take 4 decades  Grin

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2007, 02:00:54 AM »

I'll set you up a shell account next week sometime. 

Thanks, I'd appreciate it. I wouldn't mind seeing first hand what HP has managed to accomplish over the past few years (or perhaps decade now Wink).
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 02:01:10 AM by greekischristian » Logged

wynd
High Elder

Transfiguration

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2007, 02:34:14 AM »

Solaris 10 running on a sparc, and also HP-UX running on HP are my 2 OSes.

You use these as your home OS?
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2007, 03:05:03 AM »

Vista for me.

Me too.  It came with my new eMachines.  The ease of use is great, but it hogs way too much memory.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2007, 03:08:41 AM »

I'm running Firefox on Vista with no problem.  It has these weird periods of slowness/not responding shortly after booting, but that could be AVG tying up CPU time while scanning for viruses.
knotquiteawake

Jurisdiction: antiochian

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2007, 03:56:06 AM »

I'm currently dual booting Vista and Ubuntu.  I only boot Vista to play world of warcraft.  I've been doing everything else in Ubuntu (even playing WOW it just sucks getting it to work properly).

I may go back to vista full time, linux distros are like shiny toys to play with.  I like to tinker for a while but then i get bored or run out of things to try and make work and eventually I get some program that I want to use all the time that only works in Vista.
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2007, 10:17:56 AM »

You use these as your home OS?

Yea, it's the only way to go.  My uptime is ridiculous on both.
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2007, 11:12:09 AM »

Hello,

What do you think of Ubuntu?

I like it, its a nice switch from the mainstream Linux distros. Also, I like the fact that the Wiki has so much help and theres lots of people on the forums all the time, so if I need some assistance with a command that I can't quite get right or a problem I can't solve, theres plenty of resources to help. Not like contacting MS for help with windows  Undecided

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2007, 11:25:57 AM »

I'm running Firefox on Vista with no problem.  It has these weird periods of slowness/not responding shortly after booting, but that could be AVG tying up CPU time while scanning for viruses.
Hmm. Several have said so. I wonder what's up with my machine then? I'd rather use Firefox, and I do so exclusively at work (Win 2000 there).

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: