OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 06:38:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Patriarch Bartholomew is ready to accept the Pope's primacy  (Read 28359 times) Average Rating: 0
msmirnov

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian Orthodox Church

« on: November 27, 2007, 03:23:44 AM »

http://www.interfax-religion.ru/?act=news&div=21629
I don't know if there is any English version of the news anywhere.

The matter of article is that patriarch Bartholomew said that he is ready to accept the Pope's primacy as it was before 1054, and to become the second patriarch in the Christian world, as it also was before 1054. Also he told that the point of the present dialogue with catholics is to clarify the meaning of the term "primacy" and the purview of the Pope's authorities.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 09:05:40 AM by msmirnov » Logged
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 03:46:02 AM »

This is really good news to hear although I see no amazing paradigm  shifts as this should already be normative Orthodox belief.

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 04:44:54 AM »

I haven't read the news item, but it's not a real change in the position the Ecumenical Patriarchate has enunciated since the 1960's, during the patriarchy of Athenagoras, of thrice blessed memory.  The EP has since that time addressed the Roman Pope as "Elder Brother."    The Pope's primacy is recognized consistant with the "First Among Equals" ecclesiology, as is understood by the Orthodox.  At the Ecumenical Doxology held at The Phanar one year ago, Pope Benedict was commemorated, first, before Patriarch Bartholomew, at the petition for the presiding hierarch, "Again we pray for our..."

Patriarch Bartholomew would also have to know that most of the Orthodox Church, including those under his immediate jurisdiction, would not follow him into communion with Roman Catholicism.  This is, I believe, ecumenical rhetoric; demonstrating his sincerity toward the dialogue/reapproachment process.-BWT

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Krysostomos

Faith: catholic christian
Jurisdiction: Roman patriarchate

very eastern minded ...

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 11:41:53 AM »

Well, well...Of course the bishop of Rome, the patriarch of all the west will be the first among the equals - when the unity of the Roman & the eastern churches at one beautifull day is reality.

"You may say I am a dreamer. But I am not the only one." John Lennon
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 12:10:59 PM »

I know that I would accept the Pope's primacy in a reunion. So long as everything went back to the way it  used to be.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 09:29:24 PM »

Well, well...Of course the bishop of Rome, the patriarch of all the west will be the first among the equals - when the unity of the Roman & the eastern churches at one beautifull day is reality.

Well, he can't now.  He's says he's NOT the patriarch of all the west.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
obadiah

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 10:28:14 PM »

I also would accept the Pope of Rome as the first among equals, if he does away with the heresies the Roman Church has fallen into.
John Paul II made great strides in reforming the Roman Liturgy, he restored the Little and Great entrances, and added an epiclecus during the Roman Anaphora.
I also feel they need to restore Leavened Bread.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 10:33:21 PM by obadiah » Logged
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 10:50:44 PM »

The article quoted the Patriarch as saying the following (roughly):

"We, orthodox, are convinced that in the first millennium of the existence of the church, in the times of the undivided church, the superiority of the bishop of Rome, the Pope, was acknowledged. However, this superiority this was honorary, in the form of love, without being juridical supremacy which  must be by entire Christian church "

this is the standard Orthodox position and is nothing really new.

\"Why were so many Civil War battles fought in National Parks? \"
wynd
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

Transfiguration

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 11:16:32 PM »

John Paul II made great strides in reforming the Roman Liturgy, he restored the Little and Great entrances, and added an epiclecus during the Roman Anaphora.

Did he? I wasn't aware that he made changes to the Mass.
Timos
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 12:52:57 AM »

actually the Mass was cut up and made very vague and lots of petitions to the Mother of God and saints were eliminated...Benedict sees the need for a stronger, traditional, and more unified liturgy within the RC church.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 01:39:09 AM »

I haven't read the news item, but it's not a real change in the position the Ecumenical Patriarchate has enunciated since the 1960's, during the patriarchy of Athenagoras, of thrice blessed memory.  The EP has since that time addressed the Roman Pope as "Elder Brother."    The Pope's primacy is recognized consistant with the "First Among Equals" ecclesiology, as is understood by the Orthodox.  At the Ecumenical Doxology held at The Phanar one year ago, Pope Benedict was commemorated, first, before Patriarch Bartholomew, at the petition for the presiding hierarch, "Again we pray for our..."

Yes, that was remarkable. I also thought it was amazing when Pope Benedict alone recited the Pater Noster in Greek during the Divine Liturgy. And the mutual blessing, first Bartholomew in Greek and Benedict in Latin.

I believe the Lord was well pleased by those glorious several days.  
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 02:15:59 AM »

Well, he can't now.  He's says he's NOT the patriarch of all the west.

He still is, whatever the "West" means anymore, the Latin Church being in every corner of the globe. The Vatican only dropped it from the annual yearbook because they say it is no longer "useful" as a title. Not sure if it was a good idea, but it's just a title, and it didn't make it into the yearbook until 1863 anyway. The reality---that the Bishop of Rome is patriarch of the Latin Church---still exists.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2007, 02:31:13 AM »

actually the Mass was cut up and made very vague and lots of petitions to the Mother of God and saints were eliminated...Benedict sees the need for a stronger, traditional, and more unified liturgy within the RC church.

The explicit epicleses were added to the three new Eucharistic Prayers by Pope Paul VI's Apostolic Constitution Missale Romanum in 1969, establishing the Novus Ordo. Not that an explicit one is needed, of course. The original Roman Canon, or Eucharistic Prayer 1, has an implied one.

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 02:32:33 AM »

Did he? I wasn't aware that he made changes to the Mass.

Only minor changes in the 2002 revision of the Missale Romanum.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 03:05:08 AM »

Pater Noster

Things are getting goofier back on the other side of the Tiber... is saying the "Lord's Prayer" or even "the Our Father" no longer in vogue? 

El Papa might get a bit more Eastern love when he returns all the gold and treasures taken during the fourth crusade.  Since he excommunicated us, it was OK to steal from us since we were no longer Christians.  But since the excommunications were rescinded, it's time to return to all the booty.

This is a never ending circle.  The Orthodox were more than happy to steal Greek Catholic parishes in Transylvania and Western Ukraine.  And I guess since talking about Jews as Christ-killers isn't the norm anymore it is time to make reparations for those pogroms... or we could all grow up and stop living in the past.  Perhaps God is the God of the living and not the dead.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 03:05:39 AM by Νεκτάριος » Logged
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2007, 03:30:29 AM »

Things are getting goofier back on the other side of the Tiber... is saying the "Lord's Prayer" or even "the Our Father" no longer in vogue? 

Smiley

Whenever I hear Pope Benedict say it, he says it in Latin (with the exception at the Phanar last year). I pray it about 95% of the time in Latin.

I've seen all three names used pretty interchangeably, though Pater Noster seems to me to be the best "Catholic" title for it, as most of our traditional prayers, hymns and liturgical bits are named by their first lines in Latin (Te Deum, Gloria in Excelsis, Asperges, Sanctus/Benedictus, De Profundis, Stabat Mater, Anima Christi, Veni Sancte Spritus, Tantum Ergo, Angelus, Ubi Caritas, Adeste Fideles, Adoro Te Devote, Panis Angelicus, O Salutaris Hostia, Tu Es Petrus, Salve Regina, etc. etc. etc.
msmirnov

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian Orthodox Church

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2007, 04:40:26 AM »

Whenever I hear Pope Benedict say it, he says it in Latin (with the exception at the Phanar last year). I pray it about 95% of the time in Latin.

I've seen all three names used pretty interchangeably, though Pater Noster seems to me to be the best "Catholic" title for it, as most of our traditional prayers, hymns and liturgical bits are named by their first lines in Latin

OK. Then I will use "Отче наш" in this forum every time when I want to mention the Lord's Prayer. Because I never prayed it in English or in Latin. As well as Символ Веры, Богородица Дева радуйся, Царю Небесный Утешителю, etc.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 05:27:49 AM by msmirnov » Logged
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2007, 10:58:34 AM »

I know that I would accept the Pope's primacy in a reunion. So long as everything went back to the way it  used to be.

Well we certainly know that it wont go back to the way is was way back when.  For one the Roman Catholics will insist on keeping their dogmas of the Immaculate Conception, Filioque, Purgatory, their version of Original sin etc etc etc.  How can anyone be talking union when we are at odds with these dogmas, and we know that the Eastern Catholics forfeited their beliefs and are obliged to believe Rome's innovations in faith.  So, is Rome going to be satisfied with a union where she believes one way and the eastern half believes another?Huh??    I don't think so.

TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2007, 03:42:01 PM »

If one really wants to heal a rift, let's first try and re-unite with our Oriental Orthodox brothers.  We have much more common ground, less differences in theology or erroneous doctrine, and no offense meant, but the thought of reunification with OO Christianity doesn't scare me silly like it does with the RC church. 

Does anyone remember that scene in the movie It's a Wonderful Life when George Bailey shakes hands with Mr. Potter in the bank after briefly accepting a job, then turns it down when he realizes he was just about to sell his soul?   Unless Rome makes some huge changes and concessions, it's going to be us Orthodox who are going to be wiping our hands off.  We'll be swallowed up whole and come out on the other end sanitized, stripped down liturgically and doctrinally, and about as significant in our witness to the fullness of faith as something that had just been deposited from the back end of a beast.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2007, 03:47:19 PM »

OK. Then I will use "Отче наш" in this forum every time when I want to mention the Lord's Prayer. Because I never prayed it in English or in Latin. As well as Символ Веры, Богородица Дева радуйся, Царю Небесный Утешителю, etc.

I was just explaining why I called it Pater Noster. It wasn't a conscious decision. I've also called it by the other two names.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2007, 03:49:41 PM »

Tell it, TinaG!

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2007, 04:07:07 PM »

Sheesh...can't we just forget about the Fourth Crusade? Is Christ really going to come down, look at the Catholics and say, "AHA! You still have horses outside of St. Marks Basilica! Well, I guess I know where to put you know."

Okay, folks - Simayan's above comment is in reference to the discussion about the 4th Crusade, which now has it's own thread:

What to do with the booty (and memory) of the 4th Crusade?
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13596.0.html

- Cleveland, Global Moderator

As for the OO...don't even get me started. If all sides could calmly sit down and have a civil discussion about it, I'm positive the rift could be healed. Moreover, our Bishop has given the priest at our church permission to give any and all OOs communion. I think that speaks for itself in how small the difference really is.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 04:39:22 PM by cleveland » Logged

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2007, 04:08:32 PM »

Sheesh...can't we just forget about the Fourth Crusade? Is Christ really going to come down, look at the Catholics and say, "AHA! You still have horses outside of St. Marks Basilica! Well, I guess I know where to put you know."

As for the OO...don't even get me started. If all sides could calmly sit down and have a civil discussion about it, I'm positive the rift could be healed. Moreover, our Bishop has given the priest at our church permission to give any and all OOs communion. I think that speaks for itself in how small the difference really is.

Well they've been calmly sitting down for 70 years at the WCC and the Faith and Order to chat along with several EO-OO conferences and nothing has happened yet.

Check out my personal website with 130+ articles: www.anastasioshudson.com

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2007, 04:20:24 PM »

I've seen all three names used pretty interchangeably, though Pater Noster seems to me to be the best "Catholic" title for it, as most of our traditional prayers, hymns and liturgical bits are named by their first lines in Latin (Te Deum, Gloria in Excelsis, Asperges, Sanctus/Benedictus, De Profundis, Stabat Mater, Anima Christi, Veni Sancte Spritus, Tantum Ergo, Angelus, Ubi Caritas, Adeste Fideles, Adoro Te Devote, Panis Angelicus, O Salutaris Hostia, Tu Es Petrus, Salve Regina, etc. etc. etc.

In normal, daily speech I don't think I have ever heard a Catholic say "Pater Noster."  Especially when posting on an Anglophone Orthodox forum it seems rather out of place...and for the record I know most of the above mentioned hymns by heart in Latin, so I'm hardly a latinophobe.  My impression at least - and I'm probably one of the more philocatholic posters here - is that it shows you are making little attempt to actually understand Orthodoxy from an Orthodox person's perspective.

If one really wants to heal a rift, let's first try and re-unite with our Oriental Orthodox brothers.  We have much more common ground, less differences in theology or erroneous doctrine, and no offense meant, but the thought of reunification with OO Christianity doesn't scare me silly like it does with the RC church. 

Does anyone remember that scene in the movie It's a Wonderful Life when George Bailey shakes hands with Mr. Potter in the bank after briefly accepting a job, then turns it down when he realizes he was just about to sell his soul?   Unless Rome makes some huge changes and concessions, it's going to be us Orthodox who are going to be wiping our hands off.  We'll be swallowed up whole and come out on the other end sanitized, stripped down liturgically and doctrinally, and about as significant in our witness to the fullness of faith as something that had just been deposited from the back end of a beast.

This is absolutely ludicrous to vilify the current Catholic Church as having these diabolical intentions.    Theological disputes aside, it'd be a hard case to make that people like Pope John Paul II were anything but saintly men. 

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2007, 04:36:19 PM »

Sorry, statute has not expired except to RCs who prefer not to recognize the crusade and the Latin aftermath as the event that made the schism permanent. I only have negative feelings for dismissive RCs on  this issue. But this has been argued before and doesn't belong in this board.

I have never denied this. Ever. 1204 and 1453 are far more important dates than 1054. I have always seen it as a terrible crime and tragedy, ever since I read (as a kid) a time-travel novel called The Trolley to Yesterday by John Bellairs that featured the ghosts of Templar knights assisting the Greeks in Constantinople at the final siege as a penance for what they participated in 250 years earlier. The book itself launched me on the Byzantium craze I had as a teenager (and which has remained).

I believe our recent popes have profusely apologized for it and backed it up by returning the sacred relics. And Innocent III originally excommunicated those responsible. So it's not as if we are like Turkey with Armenia. It's pointless to bring this sad event up as some sort of outstanding grievance. It's long past.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2007, 04:39:56 PM »

Okay, folks - Simayan's above comment is in reference to the discussion about the 4th Crusade, which now has it's own thread:

What to do with the booty (and memory) of the 4th Crusade?
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13596.0.html

- Cleveland, Global Moderator

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2007, 04:46:48 PM »

In normal, daily speech I don't think I have ever heard a Catholic say "Pater Noster."  Especially when posting on an Anglophone Orthodox forum it seems rather out of place...and for the record I know most of the above mentioned hymns by heart in Latin, so I'm hardly a latinophobe.  My impression at least - and I'm probably one of the more philocatholic posters here - is that it shows you are making little attempt to actually understand Orthodoxy from an Orthodox person's perspective.

Well, I wasn't using normal, daily speech. I'm typing. And I just heard Pope Benedict say "Pater Noster" on Sunday. I didn't mean to confuse anybody and didn't consciously choose it. Hopefully no one was confused---it's pretty well-known in the English-speaking world. In fact, paternoster is an English word that dates from before the 12th century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pater_Noster_%28disambiguation%29

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/paternoster
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 04:49:58 PM by lubeltri » Logged
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2007, 04:47:51 PM »

This is absolutely ludicrous to vilify the current Catholic Church as having these diabolical intentions.    Theological disputes aside, it'd be a hard case to make that people like Pope John Paul II were anything but saintly men. 

Beg to differ,. Somehow being considered a 'defective church' by il popa leads me to think TinaG's absolutely correct.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2007, 04:50:58 PM »

Beg to differ,. Somehow being considered a 'defective church' by il popa leads me to think TinaG's absolutely correct.

And what, pray tell, do you consider us? We're not even a church. A black hole calling the kettle black. . .
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2007, 04:51:15 PM »

Defective church is certainly a lot more charitable than how the Catholic Church is described in Orthodox circles.  Nothing has quite the ring of "graceless heretic."
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2007, 04:59:17 PM »

Defective church is certainly a lot more charitable than how the Catholic Church is described in Orthodox circles.  Nothing has quite the ring of "graceless heretic."

You've not heard that from me, I'm sure. But I'll consider using it, if you'd like so I can fit your mold.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2007, 05:00:51 PM »

And what, pray tell, do you consider us? We're not even a church. A black hole calling the kettle black. . .

Formerly Orthodox.

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2007, 05:04:08 PM »

Formerly Orthodox.

In other words, outside the Church period. We aren't even a church, and I am unbaptized in most EO eyes. Our Eucharist is play-acting.

Hmm, any Orientale Lumen, Unitatis Redintegratio or Ut Unum Sint from the EO side?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 05:08:15 PM by lubeltri » Logged
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2007, 05:06:40 PM »

In other words, outside the Church period. We aren't even a church, and I am unbaptized in most EO eyes. Our Eucharist is play-acting.
Don't know...

Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2007, 05:10:47 PM »

Better to be honest, if blunt, than disguise our opinion with disingenous and deceitful descriptions.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2007, 05:11:34 PM »

Don't know...

I rest my case.  Smiley

We know several things. That you are not heretics, are true churches, have true sacraments, and are "sister churches" with us.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2007, 05:13:01 PM »

You've not heard that from me, I'm sure. But I'll consider using it, if you'd like so I can fit your mold.

Sorry to disappoint, but you hardly represent the totality of Orthodox opinion.  While modern Catholic opinion is that Orthodoxy is schismatic (although born-Orthodox aren't themselves guilty of schism), it holds that Orthodoxy is entirely valid communion in terms of sacramental grace.  The same opinion can hardly be said of Orthodoxy towards Catholicism at an official level.   
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2007, 05:15:02 PM »

I rest my case.  Smiley

We know several things. That you are not heretics, are true churches, have true sacraments, and are "sister churches" with us.

yep. That's the current line out of the Vatican

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2007, 05:17:04 PM »

Better to be honest, if blunt, than disguise our opinion with disingenous and deceitful descriptions.

You are making a very serious accusation.  Who in the Catholic Church is the one making this lie (and can you demonstrate from textual evidence that they do indeed believe something other than what they profess?)?  And for that matter, don't Orthodox participants in ecumenical dialogs do essentially the same thing? 
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2007, 05:17:28 PM »

Sorry to disappoint, but you hardly represent the totality of Orthodox opinion.  While modern Catholic opinion is that Orthodoxy is schismatic (although born-Orthodox aren't themselves guilty of schism), it holds that Orthodoxy is entirely valid communion in terms of sacramental grace.  The same opinion can hardly be said of Orthodoxy towards Catholicism at an official level.   

There you go with that "valid" stuff again.

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2007, 05:18:58 PM »

There you go with that "valid" stuff again.

It would only make sense to express the beliefs of the Catholic Church in Catholic terminology. 

Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2007, 05:20:49 PM »

It would only make sense to express the beliefs of the Catholic Church in Catholic terminology. 

Which is only logical, since if they get their way, it's the terminology we'll be forced to think in as we're crushed under Rome's boot heel.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2007, 05:24:19 PM »

Which is only logical, since if they get their way, it's the terminology we'll be forced to think in as we're crushed under Rome's boot heel.

I never thought I'd meet this much resistance in defending Orthodox bishops on an Orthodox forum.  Interesting...

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2007, 05:42:44 PM »

I never thought I'd meet this much resistance in defending Orthodox bishops on an Orthodox forum.  Interesting...

Interesting...that you think that is what you are doing.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 05:43:28 PM by Αριστοκλής » Logged

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2007, 05:46:36 PM »

I'm defending the theological position of the Ecumenical Patriarchate concerning ecumenism.  A quick search of recent documents from the ecumenical movement would show that to be true. 
Tags: celibacy ecclesiology ecumenism latinization Eastern Catholic dead horse cheval mort satan's synagoge  Primacy 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: