OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 08:13:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sleep more to lose baby weight  (Read 2340 times) Average Rating: 0
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« on: November 26, 2007, 03:56:37 PM »

How ironic:  A Harvard study suggests that women who get more sleep are more likely to lose the extra baby weight. 

Here's the link to the Yahoo story and my burning question: So who can I contact at Harvard to babysit at 3 am?

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 04:11:15 PM »

Only after that "first six weeks" the doc warned you about... Wink

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 04:25:28 PM »

Only after that "first six weeks" the doc warned you about... Wink

Hmm... I think there are more studies out there about six weeks worth of sleep deprivation makes one a bit psychotic.   Cheesy  At least she sleeps about 3 hours at a time.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 01:21:27 AM »

Hmm... I think there are more studies out there about six weeks worth of sleep deprivation makes one a bit psychotic.   Cheesy  At least she sleeps about 3 hours at a time.
One word: Benedryl.  For all three of you. Cheesy

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 03:27:04 AM »

One word: Benedryl.  For all three of you. Cheesy

Oh, the temptation!   Cheesy

TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 11:29:52 AM »

I always found the easiest way to get enough sleep was to sleep with my kids.  No getting up and down, no rocking, etc...   I know some people have raised alarms, but there is a right way and a wrong way to co-sleep and you have to take in each individual set of circumstances.   It's also the easiest method of natural family planning.  Wink

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 01:41:05 PM »

I always found the easiest way to get enough sleep was to sleep with my kids.  No getting up and down, no rocking, etc...   I know some people have raised alarms, but there is a right way and a wrong way to co-sleep and you have to take in each individual set of circumstances.   It's also the easiest method of natural family planning.  Wink

I thought about it, especially at 2 am when I'm too tired to put her back in her cradle, but I'm afraid I'd roll over on her or push her off the bed in my sleep.  As for natural family planning... yeah... a screaming baby is pretty good birth control.  Tongue

TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 03:10:02 PM »

Co-sleeping is something that each person has to decide and you have to follow the rules:  No heavy comforters, no water beds, put yourself between your baby and your husband (men are much less aware of a baby than mothers), no bed sharing if you are obese, a smoker, take medications that make you sleepy, etc.... It's also easier if you have a large bed (king is best). 

The big proponent of bed sharing is a medical researcher name Dr. James McKenna.  Dr. William Sears (pediatrician) is also well known for advocating bed sharing.  Try the links below and see if they help answer some questions.  But only co-sleep if Mr. Y is on board and you feel totally comfortable.  In our family it worked great.  Since I work all day it was a nice way to reconnect to the kids, it helped my breastfeeding success and really, the kids are not going to be sleeping with you forever.  You'll get your bed back (eventually).

http://www.nd.edu/~jmckenn1/lab/faq.html
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T071000.asp

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 03:48:58 PM »

Thanks for the info!  I didn't think anyone promoted it these days; our hospital staff are thoroughly against it so they didn't give us any references supporting it.  Smiley

TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 05:44:47 PM »

Well it's all about liability.   There have been enough scare stories in the papers and studies of infant mortality statistics that the "experts" have said no co-sleeping.  What they don't point out is that many of these overlaying deaths happened with drugged out moms, or sleeping on couches, waterbeds or poorly fitted mattresses pushed up against walls.  I'm not saying that overlaying is impossible under the best circumstances, but I think there are people doing this who have no business sleeping with a baby.  Even experienced co-sleeping moms shouldn't co-sleep at certain times - maybe you're extra tired or sick and have taken some cold medicine, etc... It's all about using discretion. 

Remember, you're the mom.  Get all the info and make an informed choice.  The bassinette arrangement may still be the best option for you.  Or, you might find daytime naps with the baby work good for you and you can practice.  There's nothing that says you can't change the arragement as you go.

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 05:54:21 PM »

Well it's all about liability. 

Very true.  No hospital wants it to come back on them that they recommended co-sleeping only to have the parents sue them for their own mistakes.  I've noticed that Target and other stores have little foam beds for the baby to co-sleep so they can't roll over.  I do like the cradle setup we have now; Cait's just across the room from us and, if needed, the cradle is small enough that I could put it next to the bed.  I may try that on one of those really exhausting nights.

Órëlaurëa
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the midwest

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 02:36:17 AM »

Yes, I've heard that the little co-sleeper bassinets are quite handy to have. I'd have to guess (being single and mother of one kitty) that you do whatever works for you--within the bounds of reason.

Oh, and. . . EofK . . I'm post-stalking you. I decided to join now that you're mod, and have absolutely no clue where to go to introduce myself! Leave me a trail of breadcrumbs, if you will.  Huh

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2007, 10:36:49 AM »

Yes, I've heard that the little co-sleeper bassinets are quite handy to have. I'd have to guess (being single and mother of one kitty) that you do whatever works for you--within the bounds of reason.

Oh, and. . . EofK . . I'm post-stalking you. I decided to join now that you're mod, and have absolutely no clue where to go to introduce myself! Leave me a trail of breadcrumbs, if you will.  Huh

Yeah, I may look into the little co-sleeping bassinets for nap time.  I think for deep sleep I'll just leave her in the cradle.

Hey, welcome to the forum!   Cheesy  Probably the "Other Topics" part would be the best area to introduce yourself.  Feel free to start a new topic for it; I don't think there's a general introduction thread in there.  And feel free to PM me if you need anything!  Smiley  (HUGS)

calligraphqueen
Elder

Faith: GOA

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 03:34:40 PM »

I have co slept with all 7 of mine, and not a one is still in our bed.  As for the birth control aspect, well see first sentence again... Kidding.  It does make getting sleep, albeit not nearly as deep, but at least a more likely possibility. Nursing and getting up and down is killer, I had medical issues from the sleep deprivation when I tried that. 
Then again, don't expect sleep just because they are older. You still get up to check and see if they are still breathing, just because. Huh Or on the other end waiting for your teen to get home from work.
What have I gotten myself into??
Tags: sleep weight babies co-sleeping 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: