OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 02:45:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Russian Waco in the making?  (Read 2061 times) Average Rating: 0
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« on: November 16, 2007, 08:25:06 PM »

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/3CB45984-BDEF-45E1-9B56-B982D7AD733D.htm

Russian officials are in talks with more than two dozen sect members hiding out in a forest near the Volga River as they await the end of the world, their leader says will come in the spring.

The cult members have threatened to blow themselves up if authorities forced them out of a cave near the village of Nikoskoye, 640km southeast of Moscow.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7098671.stm

Police and clergy in southern Russia are trying to negotiate with members of a doomsday cult barricaded inside a cave and threatening to blow it up.
The group calls itself the "True Russian Orthodox Church". Members are waiting for the end of the world, which they are expecting to happen next May.
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 10:37:02 PM »

How did they come up with the date?

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 10:41:12 PM »

How did they come up with the date?

Vacation planned in April and a court date in June? Wink
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 12:15:10 AM by greekischristian » Logged

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 11:22:35 PM »

Lord have mercy on them all, esp the little children.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 03:15:03 PM »

Let's hope the monks can talk some sense into them.

Lord have mercy.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
msmirnov

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian Orthodox Church

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 06:26:20 AM »

This is a real disease of our Russian Orthodox society Sad
Many peoples belive that ИНН (INN, individual number of taxpayer), bar codes, passports with bar code and other features of globalization are the true seal of antichrist. They reject to recieve INN, burn away their passports, don't accept goods in packing with bar code, don't let their children to attend schools. Actually they reject to live in the modern society and whole families becomes hermits. It's very sad but even monks and priests act in this way. And it's much more sad that our hierarchy close eyes to this situation Sad Maybe this incident makes them pay attention to the problem.

Please, explain to me the meaning of the term "Waco".
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 05:22:42 PM »

Waco, Texas, USA was the site of a religious group with a charismatic leader/cult called the "Branch Davidians".  In 1993 there was a 51 day stand-off i.e. the group was inside and the authorities (who had tried to serve a search warrent for firearms and ammunition) outside.  There were women and children inside and at the end on April 19 the compound went up in flames and 76 people did not leave the buildings but died.

Here is a link to a timeline from the Public Broadcasting Service:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/waco/timeline.html

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Art Nichols

Faith: Orthodox Christian (catechumen)
Jurisdiction: OCA-Archdiocese of the South

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 04:22:26 PM »

I never expected stuff like that to happen in the Orthodox world. And did there leader claim to be a prophet?

One is Orthodox all the time every day, in every situation of life, or one is not really Orthodox at all.-Father Seraphim Rose
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 11:06:04 PM »

I did not see the reference that Pyotr Kuznetsov precisely used the term "prophet", nor any evidence to the opposite. But all his rhetoric, all stupid claims went alongside with attempts to become a prophet. One publication in Russian even claimed that he called himself "the Messiah", but I could not verified that. It was no eact citation listed.
This is the picture of this creature, probably a more recent one.
Source:
http://www.portal-credo.ru/site/?act=news&id=58570&cf=
ROCORthodox
Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 01:08:52 AM »

This is a real disease of our Russian Orthodox society Sad
Many peoples belive that ИНН (INN, individual number of taxpayer), bar codes, passports with bar code and other features of globalization are the true seal of antichrist. They reject to recieve INN, burn away their passports, don't accept goods in packing with bar code, don't let their children to attend schools. Actually they reject to live in the modern society and whole families becomes hermits. It's very sad but even monks and priests act in this way. And it's much more sad that our hierarchy close eyes to this situation Sad Maybe this incident makes them pay attention to the problem.

This incident might have the reverse effect as you are hoping for.   If it is not handled properly, many might actually consider the arguments these Orthodox are making against the government.

In America, the Waco and Ruby Ridge incidents actually helped the 'anti-Christ government' message spread.

There are many lists here in the states which preach basically the same message as those in Russia we are discussing.
Tags: Russia  True Orthodox  
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: