OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 01:49:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone have a good liturgy fix?  (Read 1910 times) Average Rating: 0
Magicsilence
CAF driftwood

Maronite Catholic

« on: November 25, 2007, 04:27:41 PM »

Just attended my local NO youth Mass, by mistake. Forgot it was youth Sunday.

We had someone running up to the altar shouting, to start us off. Alternative 'gifts' were presented before those to be used in the Eucharist (like mobile phones and footballs). Impromptu passages of text inserted into various parts of the liturgy. AND everyone got the chance to put their burdens in the 'burden bucket' when they went to receive Holy Communion. To top it all off, it was our previous (ex?) Bishop who said the Mass, and yes, everyone had to give the 'band' a huge round of applause after it was finished. Sad

The lady at the door who chirped 'That was good, wasn't it?' got my blank stare for about 10 seconds.
Eventually I responded 'I didn't like it'.

Today, for the first time in my life, I have tasted the Orthodox shock at what happens at some of our masses.

Does anyone have a video of a liturgy that is the complete opposite of what I experienced? I need a good liturgy fix. EO, OO, RC, EC - all are appreciated.

Peace and God Bless!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 05:54:48 PM by Magicsilence » Logged
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 05:13:10 PM »

You might try the pre-recorded ones here:

http://www.goarch.org/en/multimedia/live/

http://www.goarch.org/en/multimedia/video/

(the last at bottom of page)

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
pathofsolitude

Faith: Immaculately Pure Hesychastic Orthodoxy of the Old Way
Jurisdiction: Unorganized Catacomb Communion in Exile- (the bishops have lost the faith)

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 05:21:38 PM »

Maybe this Anglo-catholic Episcopalian service:
(This is in the Episcopalian Diocese of San Francisco  Kiss )
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1281097440684283462&q=anglican+liturgy&total=29&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=9

Or how about this Confessional Lutheran service:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7316079799551729466&q=lutheran+service&total=467&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

Oh wait you didnt ask for Protestant videos...

The great apostasy has occured. Get out of there while you can!!! Its better to be priestless than to have a heretic bishop. The apostles taught that the church consists of saints only. There are about 7,000 Spirit-bearers currently in the catacombs.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 05:29:28 PM »

Today, for the first time in my life, I have tasted the Orthodox shock at what happens at some of our masses.

You didn't mention the creed, but I'm guessing that they said "... who proceeds from the Father and the Son", am I right?

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 05:30:41 PM »

Are there no Maronite parishes near you?

I'm going to the "youth" mass tonight---8pm. Reverence, traditional hymns, and Gregorian chant during Holy Communion (this is Novus Ordo, BTW: http://www.stclementshrine.org/). That's what most committed youth really want. Go to most traditional parishes and that is what you'll see.

I've never understood aging hippies thinking the other stuff is what will bring them in. They can get that stuff elsewhere and with a lot less cheese! Really, I was just having a discussion about "folk" masses with an Irish fiddle player from my church (she plays in pubs, not churches! At mass, she sings in the chant schola) last night---why go to mass to listen to crappy folk "music" when you can get much better elsewhere?

Here's a good liturgy fix for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enWiFcsBqIE

A nice little clip of the Sarum Rite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21pnAoiGnjs&feature=related

« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 05:33:55 PM by lubeltri » Logged
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 05:32:38 PM »

We had someone running up to the altar shouting, to start us off. Alternative 'gifts' were presented before those to be used in the Eucharist (like mobile phones and footballs). Impromptu passages of text inserted into various parts of the liturgy. AND everyone got the chance to put their burdens in the 'burden bucket' when they went to receive Holy Communion. To top it all off, it was our previous (ex?) Bishop who said the Mass, and yes, everyone had to give the 'band' a huge round of applause after it was finished. Sad

The lady at the door who chirped 'That was good, wasn't it?' got my blank stare for about 10 seconds.

Does anyone have a video of a liturgy that is the complete opposite of what I experienced? I need a good liturgy fix. EO, OO, RC, EC - all our appreciated.

Peace and God Bless!
Something has happened to the RCC since Vatican II. Annulments are way up, the liturgy in many cases  is like you observe it to be, there is dissent on the teaching on artificial birth control, there is publicity on priestly abuse.
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 05:57:42 PM »

Does anyone have a video of a liturgy that is the complete opposite of what I experienced? I need a good liturgy fix. EO, OO, RC, EC - all our appreciated.

Peace and God Bless!

I think the problem post VatII is that there are CHOICES in the Mass nowadays. What on earth is happening?  Children's Mass, Adult Mass, whatever Mass..... why not just have Mass ONE WAY, the way it used to be pre VatII?   No matter, I have found my home, but I have to sympathize with those who knew what the old Mass was like and it was the SAME anywhere one went in the world.  Now it seems if your tastes are modern you have one type and if your taste is mod theres another , and if your are traditional theres even one for you.  Nice to have such a variety of Liturgies to choose from.

Athanasios
Latin Rite Catholic faithful to the Holy Father and the Magisterium
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Latin Church Diocese of Youngstown

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 06:12:32 PM »

Hello,

Does anyone have a video of a liturgy that is the complete opposite of what I experienced? I need a good liturgy fix. EO, OO, RC, EC - all are appreciated.

Peace and God Bless!
I feel for you buddy!

At 12:00 a.m. Monday, November 26, 2007 - EWTN will re-air the Papal Mass for the Feast of Christ the King. It was celebrated with all the new Cardinals; it had Latin, Gregorian Chant and Polyphony. Enjoy! (that's 5:00 a.m. GMT, so set your alarm clock. Wink)

Also, here is a link for the Tridentine Extra-Ordinary Roman Rite celebrated on September 14, 2007 at EWTN (it's 2 hours long and requires RealPlayer):
http://play.rbn.com/?url=ewtn/g2ewtn/g2demand/smil/latinmass.rm&proto=rtsp

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

Pray that we may be one, as Christ and His Father are one. (John 17:20ff)

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 07:09:28 PM »

Hello,
I feel for you buddy!

At 12:00 a.m. Monday, November 26, 2007 - EWTN will re-air the Papal Mass for the Feast of Christ the King. It was celebrated with all the new Cardinals; it had Latin, Gregorian Chant and Polyphony. Enjoy! (that's 5:00 a.m. GMT, so set your alarm clock. Wink)

Indeed, it was the first big Mass put together by Pope Benedict's new master of ceremonies, Guido Marini. The longtime previous MoC, Piero Marini, a leftover from the previous pontificate, got the boot.

Here's a comparison, just with vestments.

Here's the kind of thing you often saw with Piero:

Here's what you saw yesterday with Guido at the consistory for the new cardinals (do not mind the new Chaldean cardinal's hat---I guess that's what they wear in Iraq):

Part of the cope is from the 15th century, and the mitre was used by Pius IX (1846-1878).
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 07:13:57 PM »

I would add that if you don't have EWTN in your cable lineup (or if you don't have a television like me), you can watch a live feed on their website.
wynd
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

Transfiguration

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 07:48:59 PM »

Also, don't forget Ancient Faith Radio
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 08:00:12 PM »

Also, don't forget Ancient Faith Radio

Amen, Amen, Amen!
Magicsilence
CAF driftwood

Maronite Catholic

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 08:56:29 AM »

Hello,
I feel for you buddy!

Also, here is a link for the Tridentine Extra-Ordinary Roman Rite celebrated on September 14, 2007 at EWTN (it's 2 hours long and requires RealPlayer):
http://play.rbn.com/?url=ewtn/g2ewtn/g2demand/smil/latinmass.rm&proto=rtsp

Oh!! I thought when you put a.m, it was just a mistake, and you meant p.m (hence the reference to waking at 5). Because I reside in London 12:00 PM GMT is fine for me. But, it actually was am, which means the re-run played yesterday at midnight.

I also found this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzq6_IkqWrI

Apparently it is a pontifical high mass:

http://cornell-catholic-circle.blogspot.com/2006/09/ciel-2006-oxford-pontifical-high-mass.html

Does anyone know what chant is used?

In Jesus Christ
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 09:13:52 AM by Magicsilence » Logged
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 10:08:11 AM »

Welcome to St. Scaredycat's

"You're new in the suburbs, and it's Sunday morning, so you drive over to the nearest Catholic Church -- uh, make that community. You walk into the modern cement structure and are accosted by a GREETER, who welcomes you with a moist handshake... "

This was placed in the New Oxford Review years ago by English Catholics who were waging war on the things which offended Magic.

I won't put the whole article here since, although it can give you a laugh, it can also be offensive/saddening to sincere Catholics who care about good reverent liturgy.

So for the whole article please go here and it is the second one from the bottom of the page.
http://www.newoxfordreview.org/adgallery3.jsp

« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 10:09:55 AM by Irish Hermit » Logged
Timos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2007, 11:17:06 AM »

Also check out Youtube...its got a slew of traditional catholic latin/ orthodox etc services in various languages.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2007, 12:11:57 PM »

You can find all kinds of different chant there too. The one at Merton College chapel in Oxford was Gregorian. I was very blessed to hear Vespers in Ambrosian chant for the first time (live) a few weeks ago at St. Paul's in Cambridge, Mass.
RPConover

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2007, 06:45:42 PM »

Welcome to St. Scaredycat's

"You're new in the suburbs, and it's Sunday morning, so you drive over to the nearest Catholic Church -- uh, make that community. You walk into the modern cement structure and are accosted by a GREETER, who welcomes you with a moist handshake... "

This was placed in the New Oxford Review years ago by English Catholics who were waging war on the things which offended Magic.

I won't put the whole article here since, although it can give you a laugh, it can also be offensive/saddening to sincere Catholics who care about good reverent liturgy.

So for the whole article please go here and it is the second one from the bottom of the page.
http://www.newoxfordreview.org/adgallery3.jsp

I think I was accosted by a greeter at the local Antiochian church I visited last Sunday. I've been there before, but this time a woman greeted me at the door, handed me a pamphlet, asked me to write down my information and all this... then at the end of the Liturgy the priest announced to everyone that they had a visitor, read my name and looked for me! I know they were just trying to be welcoming, and it's awfully nice, but I think I turned five shades of red when everyone turned to look at me!  Embarrassed I'm so shy!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: