OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 09:02:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox and the Feast of Christ the King  (Read 7844 times) Average Rating: 0
Specs

« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2007, 07:23:42 AM »

I remembered this again because I happened to be listening to Te saeculorum principem.

podromas (or ozgeorge) could you'll please explain the objection to me "Christ is God and the Theotokos is not" so we can venerate her with special reference but not Him? I'm not joking, I seriously don't understand it.
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2007, 08:17:06 AM »

christ is god and should be worshipped ,theotokos is a saint and should be venerated. whats so hard to understand?

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
Specs

« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2007, 11:25:15 AM »

christ is god and should be worshipped ,theotokos is a saint and should be venerated. whats so hard to understand?

No, not that!  Cheesy That I get.

I meant, why can we venerate the Theotokos with special reference to say, her Protection, but we can't worship Christ with special reference to his title as King?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 11:25:37 AM by Specs » Logged
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2007, 04:02:37 PM »

same reason why we dont worship christ's toenail its redundant. whats wrong with worshipping christ as one of the holy trinity?

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
Specs

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2007, 04:57:01 PM »

same reason why we dont worship christ's toenail its redundant. whats wrong with worshipping christ as one of the holy trinity?

I understand the objection expressed in other threads I've been reading on this forum about separating Christ into parts, etc., etc. Which goes for the Sacred Heart, Precious Blood, Holy Toenail, etc.

But I really don't see how this applies to the Christ the King. Because it is the celebration of Christ with special reference to one of His titles.

I was going through the Divine Mercy thread and ozgeorge remarked that worship of "Jesus, the Divine Mercy" was acceptable in Orthodoxy. If that is so, then why is the worship of "Christ the King" not?

[Now again, I don't know a whole lot about Eastern liturgical (and paraliturgical) praxis, so tell me if any of this part is wrong. ] Why can there then be Akathists to the Theotokos venerating her under a special attribute (related to an icon, I know)? The Joy of All Who Sorrow, Inexhaustible Cup? Why isn't that dividing her up into parts? I've read an Akathist for the Divine Passion. If Christ can be worshipped with special remembrance of his Passion why not his Kingship?
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2007, 05:18:54 PM »

If Christ can be worshipped with special remembrance of his Passion why not his Kingship?
Because his Passion is an event, not an attribute. If we could not celebrate his Passion we also could not celebrate his Birth, Baptism, Resurrection, etc.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Specs

« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2007, 05:22:20 PM »

Because his Passion is an event, not an attribute. If we could not celebrate his Passion we also could not celebrate his Birth, Baptism, Resurrection, etc.
Ah, I see. Bad example. Thanks.  Smiley
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 05:24:11 PM by Specs » Logged
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2007, 05:24:58 PM »

You make a very cogent point in this response.  We dont celebrate attributes we celebrate events. Excellent summation.
Reader KevinAndrew

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Western Rite

« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2008, 09:18:03 PM »

As an Orthodox Christian, I don't see anything wrong with this feast.  I don't think it is bound up with the temporal authority of the Roman Pontiff.  Rather, it is about the authority of Christ to reign over all people and societies.  In a Roman Catholic context, this would logically mean that the Roman Catholic Church should influence the laws of countries.  However, this is more of a reflection of the right of the true religion to influence the State, than any emphasis on the Pope, per se.  Since Orthodoxy is that true religion, this feast day could be interpreted to state that Christ in the Holy Orthodox Church should influence all people and societies.  Btw, does anyone know if the Antiochian Western Orthodox Vicariate celebrates this feast?  Thanks.

Adam:

Yes, we do celebrate the feast of Christ the King.
Athanasios
Latin Rite Catholic faithful to the Holy Father and the Magisterium
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Church Diocese of Youngstown

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2008, 11:43:24 AM »

Hello,

Adam:

Yes, we do celebrate the feast of Christ the King.

Which Church are you in, and when is your feast day?

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

Pray that we may be one, as Christ and His Father are one. (John 17:20ff)

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Reader KevinAndrew

« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2008, 01:32:47 PM »

Hello,

Which Church are you in, and when is your feast day?

I go to St. Gregory the Great Orthodox Church. We're an Antiochian parish in the Western Rite Vicariate. Which feast day are you referring to? The feast of St. Gregory the Great or mine?
Athanasios
Latin Rite Catholic faithful to the Holy Father and the Magisterium
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Church Diocese of Youngstown

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2008, 04:25:46 PM »

Hello,

Which feast day are you referring to? The feast of St. Gregory the Great or mine?

The Feast of Christ the King.

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

Pray that we may be one, as Christ and His Father are one. (John 17:20ff)

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Reader KevinAndrew

« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2008, 08:18:16 PM »

Hello,

The Feast of Christ the King.

The last Sunday in October
Tags: Sacred Heart 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: