OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 05:41:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catholic and Orthodox apologetic books on Papacy  (Read 962 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« on: November 22, 2007, 11:38:43 PM »

Dear in Christ,

I don't normally get into Apologetics works anymore since I am too consumed with finishing the 100 or more scholarly books on my shelf that lay unread.  But recently for some reason I decided to read some apologetics books and now I am itching to discuss them.

The two books I have read recently are:

1) Popes and Patriarchs: An Orthodox Perspective on Roman Catholic Claims by Michael Whelton (Orthodox perspective).

2) St. Peter Lives In Rome by Dr. R. Stackpole (Roman Catholic perspective).

Has anyone read either or both of these two works? What was your general impression? What defects did you find in either work?

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Papa Gregorio

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

St. Gregory the Great, Pope of Old Rome

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 12:16:06 AM »

Hi Anastasios,

I tend to steer clear of anything written by Whelton because I find the standard of his scholarship less than satisfactory. I haven't read the specific work you mentioned, but this review seems to confirm my sentiments:

http://www.cjoc.ca/pdf/Vol2-W-3%20Popes&Patriarchs3.PDF

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 12:44:35 AM »

Hi Anastasios,

I tend to steer clear of anything written by Whelton because I find the standard of his scholarship less than satisfactory. I haven't read the specific work you mentioned, but this review seems to confirm my sentiments:

http://www.cjoc.ca/pdf/Vol2-W-3%20Popes&Patriarchs3.PDF

It's funny because I just found that review before you posted it. I was, however, put off by the review itself due to the frequent use of insulting adjectives used by the author of the review. The substance of his review is interesting though, in that sloppy citations and scholarship are often reasons I dislike most modern apologetics work, although I must say Whelton did touch on some issues that many Roman Catholics use as trump cards for proof of the papacy in history and I appreciated a response to these claims being spelled out.  Also, I think the reviewer's personal stake (he is an Eastern Catholic, and a doctoral student at a major ecumenical institute) may contribute to the in-my-opinion vitriolic review of a popular work as if it were presenting itself as a scholarly contribution. Hence I wonder how much of what he says of Mr Whelton's work is actually true. I will have to investigate.

I would like to see however a popular treatment of Roman Catholic claims (specifically, the endless lists of patristic quotations, some of which are forgeries, which appear in such books as Ray's "Upon this Rock") that is irenic in style but which addresses the issue comprehensively. Maybe I will reach out to some people and try to collaborate on such an endeavor myself one day. Who knows.

Anastasios
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 01:18:39 AM by Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: