OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 01:59:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thanksgiving Day  (Read 1276 times) Average Rating: 0
msmirnov

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian Orthodox Church

« on: November 22, 2007, 02:48:16 AM »

I congratulate all Americans on Thanksgiving Day !!!

God bless you and all your good deeds !!!
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 08:26:26 AM »

A Blessed Thanksgiving to all our American friends!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 09:35:44 AM »

A hearty 'Thank you' to all of our friends!

I will be celebrating the Liturgy this morning (my Dean will be helping one if his grandchildren in this child's first day as an altar boy, and I'll have my boys with me as well...it'll be a big family occaison!) and my sermonette will paraphrase the final three paragraphs of Archbishop DEMETRIOS' Encyclical for today (which I think I saw posted elsewhere on this site)..

http://www.goarch.org/en/news/NewsDetail.asp?id=1887

On Thanksgiving, it is natural that we pause to reflect upon the history of the early colonists to America, their reasons for seeking refuge, and the attending results that came about from their experiences as expressed today in the laws of our nation. It is also natural that we pause today to reflect upon our very own identities as Greek Orthodox Christians living in America, knowing that many of us also have roots that hail from Greece and, indeed from many places over the world, as we are an increasingly diverse community of faithful. Here in America, we have the freedom to express the beauty of our Greek Orthodox faith in its fullness, to share its eternal message of love and salvation with others, and to worship our God according to the Holy Traditions and Canons of our Orthodox Church. This is a blessing for which we are very grateful each day and particularly on this Day of Thanksgiving.

In reflecting upon these blessings and fundamental freedoms that exist with the United States, it is also only natural to remember that there exist many people of many faiths who cannot enjoy the same levels of religious freedom due to the policies of other nations of our world. This sad reality should not spoil our celebration of Thanksgiving; rather, it should remind us all the more that we as Americans have a paramount duty to promote freedom and democracy. This duty is rendered all the more salient when we consider not only the import of our colonial history as Americans, but also our venerable Hellenic heritage and our Orthodox faith, which extols the very same virtues of freedom and democracy. We therefore enjoy a special identity that places us in a unique vantage point in our world, and for this we have many reasons to give thanks to our loving and beneficent God.

It is my heartfelt prayer that as we come together on this Day of Thanksgiving, feasting in thanks and in gratitude with our loved ones, friends, and family, we may be cognizant of the very special blessings that we enjoy in this land and that we may strive in our daily actions to reflect that gratitude in the love we show to others. May our hearts be filled with gratitude to God for all His blessings of life, liberty, and the freedom to worship Him. May God bless each and every one of you on this Day of Thanksgiving, and may God bless America.

What could be more Orthodox than to gather together to thank God for His blessings?

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: