OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 02:44:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thanksgiving and Advent  (Read 1622 times) Average Rating: 0
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« on: November 20, 2007, 02:01:17 PM »

So...I consider this a fun topic.  I'm an Old-Calendarist, so Advent sometimes doesn't start until the day after Thanksgiving.  But as for you New Calendarists, since Advent starts earlier, do you do a "one-day" cheat and not fast on Thanksgiving to eat that turkey?  Do you celebrate Thanksgiving early?

And for those of you who cheat...admit it.  Don't be shy  Wink  I know some Greeks who do...lol

God bless.

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 02:22:17 PM »

So...I consider this a fun topic.  I'm an Old-Calendarist, so Advent sometimes doesn't start until the day after Thanksgiving.  But as for you New Calendarists, since Advent starts earlier, do you do a "one-day" cheat and not fast on Thanksgiving to eat that turkey?  Do you celebrate Thanksgiving early?

And for those of you who cheat...admit it.  Don't be shy  Wink  I know some Greeks who do...lol

God bless. 

I don't know about "cheat" - I think our bishop has a long-standing policy that Thanksgiving day (just that day) is exempt because of the celebration.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 02:25:11 PM »

My priest (GOA) told me that the church gives its blessing to break the fast for Thanksgiving.  I have have no idea what the practice of other jurisdictions in the US is. 

Look at this: http://www.goarch.org/en/news/NewsDetail.asp?id=1887

Especially the last paragraph:
It is my heartfelt prayer that as we come together on this Day of Thanksgiving, feasting in thanks and in gratitude with our loved ones, friends, and family, we may be cognizant of the very special blessings that we enjoy in this land and that we may strive in our daily actions to reflect that gratitude in the love we show to others.

I certainly hope feasting doesn't mean a soy turkey!
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 02:40:28 PM »

The OCA Synod has given their Blessing to allow us to break the fast for Thanksgiving day. There can't be any leftovers though, so we need to eat early and often!

-nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 02:05:18 AM »

The OCA Synod has given their Blessing to allow us to break the fast for Thanksgiving day. There can't be any leftovers though, so we need to eat early and often!

-nick

No turkey for me this year...  I'm eating duck instead.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 07:10:45 AM »

No turkey for me this year...  I'm eating duck instead.

Turducken?  Or Tofurkey?

Oh, duck!  Right.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 02:43:41 AM »

Turducken?  Or Tofurkey?

Oh, duck!  Right.
And I'm not talking the University of Oregon variety--too bad they lost their Heisman-candidate QB to a torn ACL, for our hopes for a national title went with him. Cry
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 02:43:50 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 11:32:28 AM »

From our parish newsletter:

AMERICAN THANKSGIVING DAY- On the Fourth Thursday of November, the people of the United States gather in their families to thank the Lord for all that He has done for us, and for our world. Many Orthodox Parishes serve the American Thanksgiving Service written By St. Tikon when he was a bishop in the United States. The Holy Synod of Bishops of the Self-Ruling Archdiocese of The Antiochian Orthodox Church of North America has granted to Antiochian Orthodox Christians the oeconomia of eating a traditional Thanksgiving Feast including Turkey on this day despite it being in the Nativity Lenten fast period. Your non-fasting recipes that have leftovers will need to be packaged and frozen awaiting the feast of the Nativity to finish enjoying them.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 03:39:50 PM »

Interesting...thank you for the info...

Well, Happy Thanksgiving everyone  Smiley

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Tags: Thanksgiving  Advent 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: