OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 12:07:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help! Need particular quote from the desert fathers/mothers  (Read 1299 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: November 20, 2007, 01:56:37 AM »

I'm writing a paper for my religion class and need a particular quote from the desert fathers; I remember I first found it in Kallistos' book The Orthodox Way.  A certain Abba visits a holy woman only to find her sitting in her cell. He asks her, "Why are you sitting?" to which she says something like, "I'm not sitting, I'm on a journey." 

Thanks,
Gabriel

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 02:05:28 AM »

One of the best known of the Desert Fathers of fourth century Egypt, St Sarapion the Sindonite, traveled once in pilgrimage to Rome. Here he was told of a celebrated recluse, a woman who lived always in a small room, never going out. Skeptical about her way of life - for he was himself a great wanderer - Sarapion called on her and asked: Why are you sitting here? To this she replied, I am not sitting, I am on a journey.

(Bishop Kallistos Ware, The Orthodox Way, St. Vladimir Seminary Press, Crestwood, NY, 1999)

http://updateslive.blogspot.com/2006/07/reading-together-with-fr-kallistos.html
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 02:06:44 AM by greekischristian » Logged

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 02:08:33 AM »

Thanks a million, GiC!  I really appreciate that!

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 02:08:54 AM »

If you don't have the book here's a link to a google books page that has His Excellency's commentary:

http://books.google.com/books?id=HG8c-lUZIDEC&pg=PA7&lpg=PA7&dq=st+sarapion+the+sindonite+sitting+journey&source=web&ots=pozKpXL95U&sig=jE1VQtSkv6Z3FkA5AzQDdN1tROc

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 02:15:08 AM »

I own it but it's on loan to a friend.  Thanks again!

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: