OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 17, 2014, 07:27:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Assumption of Mary as a Dogma  (Read 957 times) Average Rating: 0
zaphod

« on: November 19, 2007, 01:31:06 AM »

Rome has defined the assumption of Mary as a dogma.

I've heard it said that Orthodox don't really think it ought to be declared a dogma. That it's not the sort of thing that ought to be binding.

On the other hand I've heard it said that Tradition in Orthodoxy is every bit as binding to the Orthodox as official dogma would be to Roman Catholics.

Any comments?

Along a similar line of thought, how ought I as Orthodox regard St George and the dragon? Am I to believe in dragons?

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 01:35:38 AM »

zaphod,

How do you define Tradition?
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 02:05:01 AM »

Rome has defined the assumption of Mary as a dogma.

I've heard it said that Orthodox don't really think it ought to be declared a dogma. That it's not the sort of thing that ought to be binding.

On the other hand I've heard it said that Tradition in Orthodoxy is every bit as binding to the Orthodox as official dogma would be to Roman Catholics.

Any comments?

Along a similar line of thought, how ought I as Orthodox regard St George and the dragon? Am I to believe in dragons?

If it's not clearly defined by the Oecumenical Synods it's not the kind of dogmatic tradition that is 'binding'. I personally don't think that this is the kind of thing that really needs to be dogmatized, traditionally we have only dogmatized theologies directly relating to the nature of the Trinity or one of the Members of the Trinity, to dogmatize something like this would just be to create unnecessary division. Though I have no problems with this particular doctrine, to dogmatize it would be, at the very least, imprudent.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 09:47:57 AM »

GiC's comment is spot-on; even things like dogmatizing the title "Theotokos" for the Virgin Mary have repercussions on our view of Christ - if she's not "Theotokos", then He's either not Theos, or He became Theos after birth, or something else.

Mary's assumption has no bearing on our doctrine of the Trinity.  Since God alone receives our worship, our dogma has traditionally centered around what God has revealed about Himself.  Changes in belief about Mary's assumption, conception, etc. only would have a bearing on our reverence of her, not on our worship of God.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags: Theotokos Dormition 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: