OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 09:34:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "I'm not Protestant - I'm just Christian"  (Read 8227 times) Average Rating: 0
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2008, 12:50:59 AM »

*sigh* There is no such thing as "just a Christian"... there used to be when the Church was One but now when there are 30,000 denominations each believing different things... not so much.

Though, technically, we Orthodox can call ourselves "just Christians" since we are the Church that Christ started.

Yes, but try and convince these Protestants that.  They really don't get it or have any idea.

Ridikkulus, yup, this does sum up many, but not all.  Actually, much of it applies to "Bible" and "Non-denominational" types except for being completely "Lone Ranger" types.  They know they should belong to some community, but can't articulate what doctrine they should have.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2008, 10:41:46 AM »

I tend to view the Lone Ranger Christians as similar to the Ethiopian Eunuch in the 8th chapter of the Acts. He tried to work things out himself, but realized that he couldn't understand what he was reading on his own: “How can I, unless someone guides me?”
The next question they need to ask is: "Who is it that can guide me?" The Ethiopian Eunuch had an Apostle to guide him, so whatever the source of guidance, it has to be as close to Apostolic as possible. This can mean both "close in time", that is, the early Christian writings, as well as "close in tradition". It seems though, that many Lone Rangers have a problem with the latter (even though the Scriptures themselves tell us we must hold to the Apostolic traditions: 2Thessalonians 2:15), so the other option of the early Christian writings is often a "less confronting" option for them. But so often, they opt for the easy way out by reading modern interpretations of other Lone Ranger Christians- which is really the blind leading the blind. But as translations and free publications of the Early Christian Writings become more and more available, Lone Ranger Christians are kind of running out of excuses. Wink

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2008, 07:31:47 PM »

*sigh* There is no such thing as "just a Christian"... there used to be when the Church was One but now when there are 30,000 denominations each believing different things... not so much.

May I ask where you got the "30,000 denominations" please?

I suspect that it is another mis-remembering/misunderstanding of the "Barrett Numbers" which has been discussed and explained here on the forum in the past.  The various EO jurisdictions are counted in those thousands.  And I would submit that it is not the case of "each believing different things".  There are many that belive the same but are in different countries and there are the basic beliefs in common such as may be found in the Creeds that many Churchs and bodies do agree on.

With respect,

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: