OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 07:01:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: reformation and the west  (Read 1219 times) Average Rating: 0
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« on: December 20, 2007, 01:52:58 AM »

Why did all reformation happen in the west (germany, england etc). has anything similar happened in the east and still is a continuing church ala lutherans?

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 02:15:52 AM »

The Reformation happened to combart the issues that certain people saw with the Western Church of the time. Nothing similar has really happened in the East as not only did we conform to Orthodoxy and Orthopraxy, but for the most part we were under the yoke of one enemy or the other.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
FrancisA

Faith: Christian

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 01:28:26 AM »

The Reformation happened to combart the issues that certain people saw with the Western Church of the time. Nothing similar has really happened in the East as not only did we conform to Orthodoxy and Orthopraxy, but for the most part we were under the yoke of one enemy or the other.

I would respectfully disagree.  Shortly after the protestant reformation, there was the Nikonian changes implemented in the Russian Orthodox Church by Patriarch Nikon.  The event that started the Old Believers sects.   It was similair to the protestant reformation in that people we're protesting what they saw as change in the church.  (But don't ever tell an old believer he is protestant.  big mistake. ugh!)  The number of Old believer sects are too numerous to even list.  But here goes: Subbotniki, Pliassony, Samobogi, Pashkovites, Radstockvites, Khylsti, chislenki, dukhubors, stundists, stranniki, molchalniki, filippians, stranniki, spavovtsky, niemoliaki, skuptsi.  To name a few.  The list goes on.  And it can't be said that they we're all basically old believers.  The stundists we're basically baptists.  The dukhobors we're basically quakers. The subbotniki we're basically unitarian adventists. etc.  There was huge variety.

I've read numbers that at times 20 to 30 percent of the russian people belonged to one of these sects.  The Population in Russia in 1904 was about 146 million.  Theres 30 to 45 million hetrodox living in Russia in Russian-born sects.  It wasn't a small movment.  I've read that there could still be 10 to 20 million Old Believers(and other russian sects.  Old believer was and is a catch phrase- like protestant) still living in Russia.

I think historical data shows a 'protestant' reformation in Russia in the 1600s.  As far as the rest of the East.  I agree you won't find one.
Tags: Protestant Reformation Old Believers 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: