Author Topic: How to Retreive and Save Removed Web Pages  (Read 1730 times)

Offline Heracleides

• Elder
  • Kona-Kai
How to Retreive and Save Removed Web Pages
« on: November 17, 2007, 11:45:29 AM »
For those wanting to recover & save their postings on CAF using Google, I thought I'd give an example of what to type into the Google search box... for instance:

site:forums.catholic.com fr ambrose

Doing this brings up 5,550 hits (one can of course narrow the search by typing in additional terms).  Once you find whatever it is you're wanting to save, click on "cached" and once the cached page comes up, save it (I prefer saving such pages as single file *.mht pages). Hope this helps those seeking to recover some of the more recent gems from CAF before they vanish completely.
"And having found Heracleides there again, we instructed him to proclaim the Gospel of God..."  ~Acts of Barnabas

Offline paradoxy

• Married Hermit
  • "Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds."
Re: How to Retreive and Save Removed Web Pages
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 01:35:11 PM »
THIS IS NOT WORKING ANY MORE!

They're now restricted.
And when He knew for certain
Only drowning men could see Him
He said "All men will be sailors then
Until the sea shall free them"

Leonard Cohen

Offline Αριστοκλής

• Merarches
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 01:48:30 PM »
Restricted how? Can you not still view the cached page?
"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides

Offline Entscheidungsproblem

• Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
  • Protokentarchos
    • Amsterdam Declaration 2002
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 01:52:30 PM »
The cached pages work fine for me.  I just tried a couple from each of the pages of results and all worked.
As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS

Offline paradoxy

• Married Hermit
  • "Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds."
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 02:10:55 PM »
Restricted how? Can you not still view the cached page?

The cached pages work fine for me.  I just tried a couple from each of the pages of results and all worked.

:-[ You're right, the cached pages are, of course, still there. In the first post-exile days, it was possible to get them by clicking on the title, and now it isn't, so I was confused...

But I do have a real problem. When I try to access results from page 12 or later, Google tells me this:

We're sorry...
... but your query looks similar to automated requests from a computer virus or spyware application. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now.

We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again soon. In the meantime, if you suspect that your computer or network has been infected, you might want to run a virus checker or spyware remover to make sure that your systems are free of viruses and other spurious software.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we'll see you again on Google.

EVERY TIME. Why?
And when He knew for certain
Only drowning men could see Him
He said "All men will be sailors then
Until the sea shall free them"

Leonard Cohen

Offline Entscheidungsproblem

• Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
  • Protokentarchos
    • Amsterdam Declaration 2002
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 02:50:24 PM »
But I do have a real problem. When I try to access results from page 12 or later, Google tells me this:

EVERY TIME. Why?

I get the same issues when I use FireFox and IE sometimes, usually it goes away after a while if you keep trying.  Opera has not given me the error message... yet.  :P

It is at least better than the old message of "A company virus or spyware application is sending us automated requests, and it appears that your computer or network has been infected".   :police:

It is a problem with the way google functions now, not on your end.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 03:05:44 PM by Friul »
As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS