OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 05:59:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Old Believers in Oregon  (Read 1417 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« on: May 31, 2003, 11:14:02 AM »

I heard that there is a community of Old Believers in Oregon, about 8 parishes, they live semi-Amish-style, and have a bishop there, speak a form of medieval Russian, etc.  Is this true? To what extent? What are their numbers? Contact info?

Thanks!

anastasios

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2003, 03:30:10 PM »

I heard that there is a community of Old Believers in Oregon, about 8 parishes, they live semi-Amish-style, and have a bishop there, speak a form of medieval Russian, etc.  Is this true? To what extent? What are their numbers? Contact info?

Thanks!

anastasios

I have heard similar things, anastasios.  I understand that they were even utilizing a Benedictine facility for a while.  But, AFAIK, they are not in communion with any Orthodox jurisdiction we'd recognize--they are not even in communion with any Greek Old Calendarist group.  Here in the USA, the only canonical "Old Rite" Orthodox (to the best of my knowledge) are those under the omofor of His Grace, Bishop DANIEL of Erie (ROCOR), himself an "Old Ritualist," who is the ROCOR bishop specifically for those of the "Old Believers" who entered canonical Orthodoxy but are permitted (and even encouraged) to maintain the "Old Rite."

Hypo-Ortho
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2003, 03:50:04 PM »

Maybe I should take this to a new thread but how different is the old rite from the new one?  

Thanks,

Nektarios
Tags: Old Believers 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: