OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 04:37:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Confession  (Read 2057 times) Average Rating: 0
Paisius
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Multi-Jurisdictional

Reframed

« on: November 16, 2007, 01:32:01 AM »

Hello

I'm new to this board and new to Orthodoxy (chrismated last week) and I have a question. How often do you go to confession and are you ever concerned that you are receiving the Eucharist unworthily?

Thanks....

Yours in Christ
Paisius

"Is it really true that political self-interest is nobler somehow than economic self-interest?" - Milton Friedman
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 01:39:42 AM »

You go as often as your spiritual father or confessor tells you to go is the simple answer. Once every 40 days is a fairly common measurement. We never receive the Eucharist worthily but the question is have we prepared for it.

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Thomas
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 09:25:17 AM »

I agree with Anastasios.  You will find various jurisdictions have  requirements that vary in how often one must go to confession in order to commune.  ROCOR states one must confess weekly to be able to commune weekly.  Other jurisdictions have their own direction, as Anastasios  said it is always best to ask your priest and/or follow the direction of your spiritual father. There does seem to be a minimum requirement probably addressed by the canons that an Orthodox Christian should AS A MINIMUM confess  in preparation for communing on Pascha and Nativity of the Lord, Orthodox Christians are supposed to commune at those times as well.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Mickey
OC.net guru

Faith: Holy Orthodoxy

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 10:12:54 AM »

ROCOR states one must confess weekly to be able to commune weekly.
This is how it is for our Church.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 12:38:29 AM »

Hello

I'm new to this board and new to Orthodoxy (chrismated last week) and I have a question. How often do you go to confession and are you ever concerned that you are receiving the Eucharist unworthily?

Thanks....

Yours in Christ
Paisius
Your Father Confessor will tell you how often to go.  As you progess and get settled in you'll know when to go if something arises.  I've been doing confession since I was 6ish, and it just becomes a part of who you are.  For good reasons that is!

JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 05:01:16 PM »

Hello

Thanks....

Yours in Christ
Paisius

We are encouraged to go to confession at least once a month at our church. However, if there is some problem dealing with a particular sin and by this I mean a repetitive sin be it gossiping, lying, etc. it is best to see you priest and discuss ways of avoiding the temptation of falling into this sort of sin. 

As you know we dont make distinctions in whether a sin is veneal or Mortal as in the western church but we do focus on problem sins where we are constantly falling into.  We also view our  church as a  hospital of sorts where one can go to get spiritual healings and good spiritual advice on how to manage ones's spritual and corporal life.

Am I ever worried that I am receiving Communion unworthily.  Yes, I do. Now of course when one goes to confession this sort of feeling shouldnt occur, but if we read our Pre-Communion prayers it states that no one is worthy of communion we all have sinned and we still have those unknown sins stilll on our soul, and it is only by God's grace and mercy that we boldly approach the Eucharist with repentance and awe.

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 06:22:32 PM »

Hello

Thanks....

Yours in Christ
Paisius 

Always concerned.

Anastasios' reply is a great starting point.  Ideally, the ending point would be that we strive constantly to live the best lives in Christ as possible, not for the sake of being prepared or not, but rather out of selfless love for Christ.  I'm certainly not even close to that point yet, so striving to prepare myself is all I can do, and provides a good model for how I should always live life.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Paisius
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Multi-Jurisdictional

Reframed

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 01:24:01 AM »

Thanks for all of the replies!

I know I'm not the only person who has these types of feelings but it's comforting to hear it directly from someone else.

I guess if you think about it no matter how often you confess or how much you pray and fast you're never worthy, at some point you have to trust in the infinite mercy of God.

Yours in Christ
Paisius

"Is it really true that political self-interest is nobler somehow than economic self-interest?" - Milton Friedman
zaphod

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 07:02:06 AM »

ROCOR states one must confess weekly to be able to commune weekly

No, ROCOR does not state this.

There is a tendancy among the Russians though to confess as often as one communes. But it's just a tendency that individual priests apply as they see fit.
Thomas
Archon

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 10:28:23 AM »

Forgive me about that statement however, when I was a Reader and later a Subdeacon serving in ROCOR, I heard this from the lips of Bishop Constantine of blessed memory, Archbishop Hilarion, and  Bishop Gabriel and was led to believe that such was the requirement. If I have misstated a policy of ROCOR please forgive me.

Thomas

« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 10:28:37 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Ziggernaut
Curmudgeon Extraordinaire

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 06:15:11 PM »

Hello

Thanks....

Yours in Christ
Paisius

Welcome home to Holy Orthodoxy, Paisius!!  May God grant you many years!!

My spiritual father recommends roughly monthly confession, and requires a minimum of 4 times annually, during the major fast seasons.  He also has said that more frequent confession is laudable. He does not require confession before each time we commune as long as we confess regularly and fairly frequently.

As others have replied, none of us is worthy to partake, least of all me.  If the requirement for confession were to confess after each sin, well.....let's just say, thankfully that's not the case!  I'd have to move in with my spiritual father.  Now, that might not be such a bad idea--I'd probably end up sinning a lot less  Wink!

Once again, welcome!  As a convert myself, I rejoice whenever I hear of a new conversion Smiley.

God bless,
Jeff

"Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it, and right is right even if nobody is doing it."  Augustine of Hippo
brittrossiter

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

jasonrossiter
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 09:17:23 PM »

My spiritual father recommends roughly monthly confession, and requires a minimum of 4 times annually, during the major fast seasons.  He also has said that more frequent confession is laudable. He does not require confession before each time we commune as long as we confess regularly and fairly frequently.

Seconded.  My Spiritual Father gave me precisely the same counsel just two days ago. 
Paradosis

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 02:58:37 AM »

Hello

Thanks....

Yours in Christ
Paisius

Congratulations on becoming Orthodox, Paisius!  Smiley  Like others have said, your spiritual father will guide you on how often you need to go to confession.  I find that it helps me to prepare for Holy Communion by spending the evening before the Divine Liturgy doing spiritual reading and prayer, along with keeping the fast.  This tends to resolve any fear that I’ve not prepared myself for Holy Communion.  All the Church asks in her fasting guidelines and other practices is that we make an effort to break from the things of the world in order to receive the holy gifts of God.  When we do this, we know that we’ve prepared ourselves well.

God bless,

Adam
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 03:20:33 AM »

Quote from: Thomas on November 16, 2007, 08:25:17 AM
ROCOR states one must confess weekly to be able to commune weekly

No, ROCOR does not state this.

There is a tendancy among the Russians though to confess as often as one communes. But it's just a tendency that individual priests apply as they see fit.

Actually, it is a tradition with a small "t" in Eastern Slavic Orthodox churches.  I am Ukrainian Orthodox (www.uocc.ca) and from time to time, our metropolitan has issued a statement  confirming this tradition a few times in my lifetime that one must confess before receiving the eucharist.
Confession is usually the night before the Divine Liturgy after Vespers, or before on Sunday.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2007, 11:35:32 PM »

It is up to your spiritual father really. My SF tells me I should once a month or on feast days. As some have said, many Russian churches require weekly confession for communion.
falafel333
Elder

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2008, 11:24:19 PM »

I thought these quotes which I came across in, "Letters from the Desert" by Sts Barsanuphius and John may be of some help:

Letter 170
Question
...If a fantasy occurs to me by night and, on the next day, there is Holy Communion, what should I do?

Response by John
Let us approach with all our wounds and not with any contempt, as people who are needful of a doctor, and he who healed the woman with the issue of blood (Mt 9:22) will also heal us. Let us love much, tha He may also say to us: "Your many sins are forgiven; for you have loved much" (Lk 7:47). When you are about to take Communion, say: "Master, do not allow these holy things to be unto my condemnation but unto purification of soul and body and spirit." Then, you may approach with fear, and our Master, who is loving-kind, will work His mercy with us. Amen.

Letter 463
Question
A Christ-loving layperson asked the same Old Manif one should reflect a great deal about the sacred mysteries, and whether a sinful person approaching these would be condemned as being unworthy.

Response by John
When you enter the holies, pay attention and have no doubt that you are about to receive the Body and Blood of Christ; indeed, this is the truth. As for how this is the case, do not reflect on it too much. According to him who said: "Take, eat; for this is my body and blood" (Mt 26:26-28), these were given to us for the forgiveness of our sins. One who believes this, we hope, will not be condemned.
   Therefore, do not prevent yourself from approaching by judging yourself as being a sinner. Believe, rather, that a sinner who approaches the Savior is rendered worthy of the forgiveness of sins, in the manner that we encounter in Scripture those who approach him and hear the divine voice: "Your many sins are forgiven" (Lk 7:47-48). Had that person been worthy of approaching him, he would not have had any sins. Yet, because he was a sinful man and a debtor, he received the forgiveness of his debts.
   Again, listen to the words of the Lord: "I did not come to save the righteous, but sinners" (Mt 9:13). And again: "Those who are well have no need of a physician, but only those who are sick" (Lk 5:31). So regard yourself as being sinful and unwell, and approach him who alone can save the lost (cf Lk 19:10).
Tags: communion 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: