Author Topic: English summary of my thesis  (Read 359 times)

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Archon
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
English summary of my thesis
« on: June 23, 2016, 09:11:08 AM »
As most of you are native English speakers, I decided to ask you to check the English summary of my thesis "Saint John Damascene and Islam" ;) It's translation from the Polish summary.

That's the text:
Saint John Damascene, whose life covered practically the whole time of the Umayyad Caliphate’s duration, being one of the greatest Fathers of Eastern and Western Churches, is one of the first Christian theologians that has undertaken polemics against Islam, which he had known before his literary activity, as he had been a functionary at the caliph’s court. This thesis places John Damascene in certain period and in mixed, Byzantine-Arabic environment; Damascene, writing in Greek and being most likely an Arab, had an opportunity to have close and distant at the same time perspective regarding Islam and his information and observations about this religion were being repeated and used by later Christian authors. His works are a valuable opportunity to look into early Christian perception of Islam as well as Islam itself in its first century of existence.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
Re: English summary of my thesis
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 11:39:43 AM »
It definitely needs editing and rearranging. I do not have time and there are multiple ways to rearrange the text and making shorter sentences. It would take me an hour but I bet wgw could to it in five minutes.

Offline FinnJames

• Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 01:32:31 PM »
In my experience, no two editors ever agree entirely on any text so I've sent you a version as a private message. Feel free to use or amend it if others send you suggestions you like better. By the way, American English is my native language.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 01:33:46 PM by FinnJames »

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Archon
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 04:10:21 PM »
It definitely needs editing and rearranging. I do not have time and there are multiple ways to rearrange the text and making shorter sentences. It would take me an hour but I bet wgw could to it in five minutes.
Yeah, the problem is that I've written such long and complex sentences in Polish original that I can't change now, so I just fell into a trap prepared by my own ;) regarding the translation into English ;) I do write a lot in Polish, but it's been the last thing I've done in this thesis, so probably I was tired, and I see even the Polish text is not good. The worst thing is that this summary are in fact only 3 long sentences.

In my experience, no two editors ever agree entirely on any text so I've sent you a version as a private message. Feel free to use or amend it if others send you suggestions you like better. By the way, American English is my native language.

I've got it, thank you very much :) I'll wait a few hours, maybe somebody will give his/her opinion too. And I didn't know that English is your native language ;)
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 04:26:17 PM »
While my native language is American English, I can send this to my sister for editting.  She is a grammar Nazi, and she can make this sound really better that I could imagine if you like.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Archon
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 04:51:10 PM »
While my native language is American English, I can send this to my sister for editting.  She is a grammar Nazi, and she can make this sound really better that I could imagine if you like.
Haha. If she can do it in a few next hours, that's ok. If not, don't bother her :)

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 07:23:01 PM »
Unfortunately she promised tomorrow :/
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.