OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 08:25:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Referring To Eastern Rite Catholics  (Read 6933 times) Average Rating: 0
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« on: November 15, 2007, 11:45:47 AM »

Dear Posters,

As we have recently had an influx of new posters, I thought it best to make a certain policy quite clear.
Here at OCnet, we welcome discussion and healthy debate. We don't always agree with one another (in fact, we rarely do!), but we try to foster mutual respect between persons, even when they disagree.
In this spirit of fostering healthy debate, I would like to inform you that it is a policy here at OCnet not to refer to Eastern Rite Catholics as "Uniates".
The word "Uniate" is very often used as pejorative to insult Eastern Rite Catholics and Eastern Rite Catholicism, and indeed, I have just had to moderate a recent pejorative use of the word in a recent post. One can make one's point without using pejorative. A point that depends on derision is in reality pointless anyway.
I therefore ask you all to please refrain from referring to Eastern Rite Catholics as "Uniates" on OCnet.

George
(Global Moderator)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 10:02:19 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Tags: Oriental Rite Catholic Eastern Rite Catholic sui juris The term "Uniate" 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: